Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, here it is: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25196184

- Eric
Old 10-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ericrebates
Hello, I have a 2017 A4 Quattro 2.0T TFSI DCT. It has the worst throttle response of any vehicle I've ever driven. The throttle is like the shutter on a 15 year old digital camera; you hit it and get a response a second or so later. It was the first thing I noticed when I test drove the car. However since my previous car was a Corvette z06 I thought this was largely due to the contrast of going from essentially a street-legal race car to a sedan. Between that, the very positive Consumer Reports review, and the fact that I didn't have a lot of time to spend test driving cars, I bought the A4. I've been regretting that decision for the past two years and I'm at the point of simply cutting my losses and selling the car. I've brought it to the dealer several times only to be told there's nothing wrong with the car. For comparison, here's a list of a few vehicles I've recently driven with orders-of-magnitude better throttle response:

- My wife's 2005 Honda Civic LX (wtf???)
- A 2015 SEAT Leon Turbodiesel I4 I rented in Spain a couple months ago
- A 2018 Ford F150 pickup with a 2.7 liter turbocharged V6

I want to stress that the throttle response on these vehicles isn't just slightly better. It's literally an order of magnitude better, I'm talking say 100ms latency versus a full second or more for the A4 under certain conditions.

I've tried the throttle body reset procedure and driving in sport (S) mode. The two of these together seem to make it less bad, but the car still feels totally unresponsive. This results in an insane driving style where I'm constantly accelerating in bursts because small throttle adjustments produce absolutely no change in engine response for seconds. I'm pretty much at the end of the line and am counting down the days to get rid of this car. But I figured I'd post here and see if anyone has any suggestions; I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I have an obdeleven, but haven't been able to find anything that makes an appreciable difference. I've also reviewed other threads regarding this topic but haven't found anything that addresses the issue.

Thank you!

- Eric
It feels like there is a low-pass filter in front of the throttle. I suspect the idea is to filter out small throttle undulations to slightly increase fuel efficiency. Considering the car insists on re-enabling that awful start/stop feature every time it's started (the first thing I disabled with obdeleven), I wouldn't be surprised if they also torpedoed the throttle response to get an insignificant increase in mileage. I don't believe Audi did this out of pure incompetence and I have a hard time believing that anyone would ever actually prefer this behavior under any circumstances.

Foxx312 thanks for the generous offer to drive your car but unfortunately I'm in the San Francisco area.

From the responses so far it seems APR is probably the way to go. I really don't want changes to the shift points, jerkiness, etc. I'm not even interested in additional power, just removal of the latency and overall smooth and balanced performance (I'm actually a relatively conservative driver). If I can get this to respond somewhat like my 2003 BMW 328i I'd be thrilled.

- Eric
Old 10-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Eric, could you either outline the steps for that, or send a link to them, so I can try it on my 2017 Allroad?

Thank you!
Hi Dan, here it is: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25196184

Apologies for the multiple posts of this, the behavior "Quick Reply" and quoting was a little counterintuitive to me.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ericrebates
Foxx312 thanks for the generous offer to drive your car but unfortunately I'm in the San Francisco area.

From the responses so far it seems APR is probably the way to go.
- Eric
The thing that would make me hesitate about an APR tune is California smog laws. I know it's technically illegal to do this in CA, but I don't know how much lasting evidence or repercussions there would be to doing it anyway. Can you just revert to stock, pass smog, and get the tune re-applied? Would you also have to revert to stock before taking it in to the service department? I'd like to hear what other people have experienced in CA, and also if you decide to go ahead and do it, what your experience is like.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Audi service will know it is there even if you have reverted back to the stock tune. Every time you write to the ECU there is a signature that it has been done. If you have any drive train issues with your car Audi will flag it as TD1 and the warranty will probably be void. No matter what you are told, Audi can tell you have have or have had a tune.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never known a tuning box and a TCU tune to be detected by Audi. In fact mine has just had its second service, for which I removed the box, and nothing untoward came back..
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Never known a tuning box and a TCU tune to be detected by Audi. In fact mine has just had its second service, for which I removed the box, and nothing untoward came back..
Same. I've been to 3 different dealers a total of ~10 times and only once did the adviser state that it "could" violate the warranty, but he told me he basically had to tell me that.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveInSD
The thing that would make me hesitate about an APR tune is California smog laws. I know it's technically illegal to do this in CA, but I don't know how much lasting evidence or repercussions there would be to doing it anyway. Can you just revert to stock, pass smog, and get the tune re-applied? Would you also have to revert to stock before taking it in to the service department? I'd like to hear what other people have experienced in CA, and also if you decide to go ahead and do it, what your experience is like.
I see you're located in SD, It might be a little trip but I've been with a Shop called Auto Union tuning in Huntington Beach (located in Orange County). I've been with these guys for about 4 years now and the work they do is SO cheap for the quality they provide. I've done two tunes with them and they don't charge labor for first time tunes (most tuning shops charge labor for tuning). They offer to tune back to stock and back to APR as much as you need for $160 extra (without lifetime tuning it's $55 per switch back). When I had my beetle I purchased some R8 Ignition coil packs with them since the stock coil packs were trash. I was going to purchase them online and install them myself since it's not to hard of a Job, then I found that they actually sold them for a little cheaper than any website I could find AND installed them free of charge if you purchased them there. If you plan on tuning or doing any work that ins't warranty covered then I'd highly recommend going to these guys. The Owners are Raj and Dave and Dave was a Master Tech at Audi for many years.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DaveInSD
I too am curious about this. I got the impression from the APR website that the Stage 1 tune still passes CA smog inspection. Can anyone in CA comment on their experience with this? I'm also interested to hear about any other adverse side-effects of the APR tune (gas mileage, jerkiness, issues with shift points, etc).

Looking through all the posts here APR does seem to be the most sophisticated solution. I'm going to schedule an appointment and see what they have to say. If anyone wants specific questions answered post them and I'll try to ask and reply with the answers.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stage 1 APR for a while now and want to give a bit of insight. Take it with a grain of salt as it's only one person's opinion.

I love the tune. But I didn't do it to get rid of the horrible throttle response, although it is somewhat improved. I'm of the opinion that an ECU tune almost requires a TCU tune with it (Audi designed the two to work together, and when you mess with one, you negate all of the work they did to harmonize them). With just APR, power delivery can be a little choppy and uncomfortable for passengers, but I'll admit I'm a little aggressive on the accelerator. I haven't seen a software TCU tune yet, so I ordered the Pedalbox from Chiptuning.com. It should be here early next week, and after playing around with it, I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Atrocious throttle response