A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Atrocious throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdsheff
I've been stage 1 APR for a while now and want to give a bit of insight. Take it with a grain of salt as it's only one person's opinion.

I love the tune. But I didn't do it to get rid of the horrible throttle response, although it is somewhat improved. I'm of the opinion that an ECU tune almost requires a TCU tune with it (Audi designed the two to work together, and when you mess with one, you negate all of the work they did to harmonize them). With just APR, power delivery can be a little choppy and uncomfortable for passengers, but I'll admit I'm a little aggressive on the accelerator. I haven't seen a software TCU tune yet, so I ordered the Pedalbox from Chiptuning.com. It should be here early next week, and after playing around with it, I'll report back.
DT power in the UK just released a TCU tune a month or so. It's supposedly getting good feedback from the S4 guys.

https://dt-power.com/product/tcu-transmission-tuner/

I ordered mine today. Can't wait to try this out.

I don't have an ECU tune, but do have a piggy back and feel the same way. I feel there are times the transmission and engine are out of sync and cause some choppy feel. Especially hitting the pedal hard and shifting at high rpms.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdsheff
I've been stage 1 APR for a while now and want to give a bit of insight. Take it with a grain of salt as it's only one person's opinion.

I love the tune. But I didn't do it to get rid of the horrible throttle response, although it is somewhat improved. I'm of the opinion that an ECU tune almost requires a TCU tune with it (Audi designed the two to work together, and when you mess with one, you negate all of the work they did to harmonize them). With just APR, power delivery can be a little choppy and uncomfortable for passengers, but I'll admit I'm a little aggressive on the accelerator. I haven't seen a software TCU tune yet, so I ordered the Pedalbox from Chiptuning.com. It should be here early next week, and after playing around with it, I'll report back.
Very useful info. So you agree that the stock throttle response is "horrible" but the APR yielded only a moderate improvement. I was beginning to think maybe the responsiveness issues don't affect all A4s which might be why people report different levels of improvement with the same ECU modifications. Of course without instrumenting the vehicle to collect actual data it's all pretty subjective.

I'm actually a fairly conservative driver and I'm usually not very aggressive on the accelerator. Have you experienced choppyness or other understandable side-effects in the more conservative operating regimes?

Thanks!

- Eric
Old 10-27-2018, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I paid £285 for mine from DTUK...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a 2018 A4 and while out driving today I tested the throttle response on a number of starts from a dead stop and I did not notice any lag. All trials were done in “Automatic” mode with the transmission in D, not S.

The only thing I do notice is that more throttle motion is necessary compared to my wife’s Subaru. I think that the Subaru is a little too touchy, probably to make you think you have a more powerful engine. I wonder if the later models have a different TCU/throttle map.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I have a 2018 A4 and while out driving today I tested the throttle response on a number of starts from a dead stop and I did not notice any lag. All trials were done in “Automatic” mode with the transmission in D, not S.

The only thing I do notice is that more throttle motion is necessary compared to my wife’s Subaru. I think that the Subaru is a little too touchy, probably to make you think you have a more powerful engine. I wonder if the later models have a different TCU/throttle map.
Although I find the latency from a dead stop annoying, it's really most pronounced when on the highway at a stable speed, say 60, and you want to accelerate to say 70. Do you notice a lack of responsiveness there? I find that the only way to get the car to respond in a reasonable amount of time in such a situation is to over-correct and punch the throttle, which is a very uncomfortable way to get to 70.

- Eric
Old 10-27-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ericrebates
Although I find the latency from a dead stop annoying, it's really most pronounced when on the highway at a stable speed, say 60, and you want to accelerate to say 70. Do you notice a lack of responsiveness there? I find that the only way to get the car to respond in a reasonable amount of time in such a situation is to over-correct and punch the throttle, which is a very uncomfortable way to get to 70.

- Eric
I do this frequently and have not noticed a lag. I probably push the throttle only enough for a single gear downshift so the tranny is probably preselected already. I will try next week when I head to work and press a little harder for a must-gear shift and see what happens. If multi-gear shifts are the problem the pedal box won't help, in this case the delay is probably due to the DSG method of shifting. A regular auto tranny can handle multiple-gear downshifts faster than a DSG but I think a DSG can handle single gear up and downshifts quicker than an Auto, and much quicker than a manual shift car.

I will post what I find next week.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ericrebates

- Eric
Lag when cruising on the highway and then stepping on the throttle to accelerate mostly comes from the transmission deciding to downshift if you give enough throttle that it thinks you want full acceleration. As mentioned above, multi gear downshifts can be slow with the DSG. It's why I primarily drive in manual mode on the highway, unless I have ACC engaged. I do dislike the tendency of automatic transmissions in general to downshift at the slightest throttle input. Usually I just wanna accelerate in the current gear and if I need a lower gear I will downshift myself. Today's transmissions are programmed to down-speed the engine and have more and more gears. Mercedes is now up to 9 gears and some other manufacturers have 10 gear transmissions. It's all in the name of fuel economy. Turbo charged engines are gas guzzlers on boost, so to get these advertised miles per gallon, the engine needs to be kept out of boost. That's the secret behind down-speeding. The longer the engine can be kept out of boost, the better the fuel economy, so modern transmissions quickly upshift to keep rpms low, but then need to downshift multiple gears to get a decent acceleration when you step on the throttle and the turbo needs to spool up, so that leads to these kinds of lags.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Lag when cruising on the highway and then stepping on the throttle to accelerate mostly comes from the transmission deciding to downshift if you give enough throttle that it thinks you want full acceleration. As mentioned above, multi gear downshifts can be slow with the DSG. It's why I primarily drive in manual mode on the highway, unless I have ACC engaged. I do dislike the tendency of automatic transmissions in general to downshift at the slightest throttle input. Usually I just wanna accelerate in the current gear and if I need a lower gear I will downshift myself. Today's transmissions are programmed to down-speed the engine and have more and more gears. Mercedes is now up to 9 gears and some other manufacturers have 10 gear transmissions. It's all in the name of fuel economy. Turbo charged engines are gas guzzlers on boost, so to get these advertised miles per gallon, the engine needs to be kept out of boost. That's the secret behind down-speeding. The longer the engine can be kept out of boost, the better the fuel economy, so modern transmissions quickly upshift to keep rpms low, but then need to downshift multiple gears to get a decent acceleration when you step on the throttle and the turbo needs to spool up, so that leads to these kinds of lags.
Would a TCU tune help with the slow multi gear downshift of the DSG?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I think they do speed up shifts a bit, but there are mechanical constraints responsible for this. Even my RS5 with a track tuned DSG has this lag if I just blindly mash the throttle from 7th gear. Engine howls, but the car doesn't move for about a second while the transmission is busy hunting for the lowest possible gear.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I think they do speed up shifts a bit, but there are mechanical constraints responsible for this. Even my RS5 with a track tuned DSG has this lag if I just blindly mash the throttle from 7th gear. Engine howls, but the car doesn't move for about a second while the transmission is busy hunting for the lowest possible gear.
Yes. That is an inherited property of DSGs and it’s been that way in every DSG car I’ve driven unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Atrocious throttle response