A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi colors: drab to draber

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
No offense....but anyone that thinks Manhattan Grey is a "bold" color is missing the point, LOL. I like grays, but seriously it's gone to the absurd. "Neutral" colors don't have to be white, grey, or black.... There are plenty of blue, green and red colors that are not loud, trendy, or will look bad in 10 years. It would be nice to have a choice in the matter. We aren't asking for standard neon colors or glow-in-the-dark, LOL. Other companies clearly get it with a far broader color palette....and they are "conservative" brands.
Who do you see in the 'luxury' sphere offering a broader colour palette in North America? I do think Cadillac a few years ago had some brighter blues and reds on the order guide... and... well, it's not like that helped them move ATSes and CTSes...

Honestly, I feel like around here, Audi has been as successful as anyone at moving non-white/grey/black cars..
Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Blake
You mean like moonlight blue metallic?
No, I mean Deep Sea Blue Pearl, like my B8 was. It was a dark blue, that sometimes looked black at night. I got tons of compliments on it.

Edit: Actually, I just looked up Moonlight Blue Metallic and it looks pretty close.

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
No offense....but anyone that thinks Manhattan Grey is a "bold" color is missing the point, LOL. I like grays, but seriously it's gone to the absurd. "Neutral" colors don't have to be white, grey, or black.... There are plenty of blue, green and red colors that are not loud, trendy, or will look bad in 10 years. It would be nice to have a choice in the matter. We aren't asking for standard neon colors or glow-in-the-dark, LOL. Other companies clearly get it with a far broader color palette....and they are "conservative" brands.
farmerjones-
I think I am the only one posting in this thread with a Manhattan Gray Audi, so you are likely referring to me or my posts. If that is the case, I don't see how you could have read my posts and not seen that I prefer non-bold or drab colors like Manhattan Gray. Where did you get the idea I was saying that color was bold?
In fact, the first few words in my post that you quoted are: "I actually like the boring pallet when it comes to cars." I don't get it.

Last edited by irenesbob; 02-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I just looked at the AoA site and saw that the only "standard" blue they are offering for the 2019 A4 P+ is Navarra Blue - looks pretty bold to me. If I were getting a car now I'd go for Ibis White , Florett Silver, Daytona Gray or Monsoon Gray. When I got my car the only ones they had in stock with the Black Optic Pkg. were Black (no black ars for me), White (the black/white contrasts popped too much for me) and Manhattan Gray, which in my opinion looked good with the black wheels, grille, etc.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:42 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I just looked at the AoA site and saw that the only "standard" blue they are offering for the 2019 A4 P+ is Navarra Blue - looks pretty bold to me.
Bold? Navarra Blue is darker than scuba blue, which is darker than aruba blue, which was... lighter than ocean blue, which is probably why it was so short lived in the beginning days of the B8.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Getting my A4 in Manhattan Grey was actually a sort of bold move as far as I was concerned. Not from the standpoint of the color spectrum but I had never had a car that was that dark before.

I wanted a form of grey for this car, I knew that. My prior car was silver, my wife’s car is close to the Monsoon shade so I wanted something different. I saw the Manhattan Grey and is was very different and I liked it a lot.

But I’m a car washing/detailing/polishing/waxing nut and I wasn’t sure how Manhattan would do for me over time. So in my own way is was bold move.

Last edited by Dave W; 02-10-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

What would be the ideal color palette if you were king for the day? What colors would you want?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Audi's color offerings are bland and tiring. I've been at a loss since they stopped offering a medium blue in the US (Aruba, Ara, Denim, Sepang, Ocean) . All the press cars come in that sporty color, fool the readers at first blush, then never make it here. BMW and Lexus both have no problem selling medium blues on their sport packaged models. But then again, we arrive to the point mentioned above about Audi's demographic getting older, and the competition (BMW and Lexus) getting younger.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Bold? Navarra Blue is darker than scuba blue, which is darker than aruba blue, which was... lighter than ocean blue, which is probably why it was so short lived in the beginning days of the B8.
x10000000 How anyone could consider Navarra Blue "bold" is beyond me....it's a dark blue that at night looks nearly black. Orange, Yellow, Purple....now those are bold colors. Navarra Blue? About as hum-drum of a blue color as they come. It's amazing the variety of opinions on colors here, I've never seen such polar opposites before in my live, and I worked in the industry for a long time. I used to order stock cars, so It thought I was pretty in touch with color popularity back then. Now....it's like customers are lost their minds on diversity. Weird and funny all together I guess.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I wish Audi offered a better selection of standard colors. The one's offered are just so boring. Out of 10 colors available, eight of them are just different shades of black or white. The other two are red and blue, but they're a weird red and blue, if you ask me. I would love to see a really nice candy-apple metallic red, or a midnight blue. Even BMW offers more variety in their color palette.

I know you can order custom Audi colors, but that's just one more expense.

Now, don't get me started on the fugly wheels they're offering ...
Boring, really???

The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (03-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Audi colors: drab to draber