A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Connect Initial Connection Issue, work around

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi Connect Initial Connection Issue, work around

So, when I picked up my new 2018 A4 last week there was a problem getting the car to connect to Audi Connect the first time. The dealer and I set everything up before heading to the car, but we were getting an error saying the service wasn't currently available and to try again later. Today I finally had time to sit down and try connecting and finishing set up but came up with the same error. I pinged my sales associate and they contacted Audi Connect customer service and they got back with some info. It appears there is an issue they are working to resolve right now, but they offer the following work around to get it connected. I thought if any you new buyers experience the same thing, you can try this and alert your sales associate to:

"Thank you for your patience while I got the information about the workaround for the Audi connect services not working, showing a server error and to please try again later message.

We are working on communicating with Germany, the academy and everyone to get this turned off and a TSB out to cover how to repair any that are turned on. of course, like all things. It’s taking a bit of time. in the meantime, we have been able to get the services to go live through a work around. Please complete the following steps with the customer.

with the Vehicle turned on

check the MMI in the glove box to ensure that there is NO SIM card inserted.
Press the “MENU” button
Select “Audi Connect” from the main MMI menu
Use the right drawer Sub-menu (more the main MMI **** to the right) and select “Privacy”
Select “Activate Privacy”
The MMI will now show a message of “the data connection was restricted”
Select “Audi connect” and select “activate data connection” this will turn on the LTE data module
Wait briefly (about 15 seconds) until you see a message “data module is on”
Roll up all the windows, turn the Vehicle off and lock the door
Wait 3-4 minutes.
Return to Vehicle, turn on, go back into “Audi connect”

Select “ google earth” and then “ activate and display google earth map”
If the google earth loads, go back into the Audi connect services and confirm the Weather, fuel prices and all other features load.

If the google earth does NOT load and if the weather and fuel prices do not display after this process. Repeat the process and wait a minimum of 30 minutes before returning the car once turned off and locked. If concern still presents. Have Vehicle brought in for service.

We have had great success with this process with almost all customers getting their services live, resolving the concern.

Again, this is not the official repair plan or policy from AoA. This is the result of trial and error during troubleshooting. This has worked for various models with this message. Hopefully, all the official communication will be out soon."

Good luck!

JG
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm this as well. I picked my 2018 up two weeks ago and had the exact same issue. I called Customer Support and they walked me through that process and it got me connected.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad and sorry I am not the only one. I'm going to give the fix a try tonight.

Originally Posted by habesct
I can confirm this as well. I picked my 2018 up two weeks ago and had the exact same issue. I called Customer Support and they walked me through that process and it got me connected.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car is in the shop

You guys are lucky. Picked up the car 5 days ago and struggled with Audi Connect the first couple days. Called the 24/7 help number and got escalated to a tech from the customer service operator. No joy, then driving the car, Connect starts working all by itself. MMI is infested with other weirdness. Switches to radio a couple times for a second or two on a phone call. Settings such as "don't show this message again" and photo view instead of graphic view for birds eye camera get undone while driving. My phone is listed under connections manager and sometimes is grayed out. "Navigate to favorites" command brings up the map and stops there 1/2 times, after the prompt, "which favorites. Sometimes text menu option is under phone, sometimes not. The list of problems with MMI is growing and finally drove to the dealership on my way to a meeting. They'll have it for a while. Takes 2 days to reflash all the software and reinstall the user.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't gotten my 2018 yet and hope to not run into this. But my real question is, how the heck did they figure that out as a workaround? That's a pretty involved process!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a good question. I probably means they know what the issue is, just not yet how to fix the code so they don't break something else.

FWIW I did the fix tonight and it seems to be working. Only took one try.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Picked up an A4 Tuesday and hadn't been connected yet even though the dealer told me I was registered and set. I come across this and it's fixed!

Thank god for forums haha! Appreciate you taking the time posting.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JorgeGortex
So, when I picked up my new 2018 A4 last week there was a problem getting the car to connect to Audi Connect the first time. The dealer and I set everything up before heading to the car, but we were getting an error saying the service wasn't currently available and to try again later. Today I finally had time to sit down and try connecting and finishing set up but came up with the same error. I pinged my sales associate and they contacted Audi Connect customer service and they got back with some info. It appears there is an issue they are working to resolve right now, but they offer the following work around to get it connected. I thought if any you new buyers experience the same thing, you can try this and alert your sales associate to:

"Thank you for your patience while I got the information about the workaround for the Audi connect services not working, showing a server error and to please try again later message.

We are working on communicating with Germany, the academy and everyone to get this turned off and a TSB out to cover how to repair any that are turned on. of course, like all things. It’s taking a bit of time. in the meantime, we have been able to get the services to go live through a work around. Please complete the following steps with the customer.

with the Vehicle turned on

check the MMI in the glove box to ensure that there is NO SIM card inserted.
Press the “MENU” button
Select “Audi Connect” from the main MMI menu
Use the right drawer Sub-menu (more the main MMI **** to the right) and select “Privacy”
Select “Activate Privacy”
The MMI will now show a message of “the data connection was restricted”
Select “Audi connect” and select “activate data connection” this will turn on the LTE data module
Wait briefly (about 15 seconds) until you see a message “data module is on”
Roll up all the windows, turn the Vehicle off and lock the door
Wait 3-4 minutes.
Return to Vehicle, turn on, go back into “Audi connect”

Select “ google earth” and then “ activate and display google earth map”
If the google earth loads, go back into the Audi connect services and confirm the Weather, fuel prices and all other features load.

If the google earth does NOT load and if the weather and fuel prices do not display after this process. Repeat the process and wait a minimum of 30 minutes before returning the car once turned off and locked. If concern still presents. Have Vehicle brought in for service.

We have had great success with this process with almost all customers getting their services live, resolving the concern.

Again, this is not the official repair plan or policy from AoA. This is the result of trial and error during troubleshooting. This has worked for various models with this message. Hopefully, all the official communication will be out soon."

Good luck!

JG
Can't tell you how much I appreciate this post. Picked up my 2018 Q5 Prestige yesterday. My SA had successfully activated the vehicle on my "My Audi" account & I was able to see & control it thru the MMI Connect app on my phone. But I noticed Google Earth & other Audi Connect features weren't working. Got the same "Audi servers not available" error message.
Anyway, I followed your instructions to a "T" (had to let it sit for 30 minutes) & now everything works great.Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, glad you got it working. I am lucky my SA is pretty cool and was willing to share the info directly with me. Good luck and enjoy your new Q5!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Merci!

Dear Jorge, I just registered to thank you!!
I received my 2018 Q7 on Monday, and Audi Connect was not working since then.
I did some research on the web, which leads me to your post. I tried the process while taking a short break at work as I was so excited to get this working, and indeed, a few minutes later, a nice Google map appeared
Next step, makes working the link between the Iphone MMI Apps and the Q7 MMI, to get the webradio and other stuff...

Many thanks again!

Quick Reply: Audi Connect Initial Connection Issue, work around