A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Maintenance Intervals

Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OP doesn’t sound like an Audi person. OP would do better with an Asian car.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I came from all Asian cars but Iíve never driven them as ďeconomy carsĒ and am also a car enthusiast. If you are an enthusiast and love to feel the thrill of driving while also being in comfort and style, then you will LOVE the A4. I donít mind doing things myself like brake pads, plugs, coils, and filters because it gives me the satisfaction. So if thatís you, then again, you will LOVE the A4. But if you are not inclined to do those things and you are not wanting to pay the dealer to do those things regurarly to keep your car in top performance shape, then you will constantly worry about it and it will take away from the joy of ownership. Sh*t, Iím at 19k miles and thinking about replacing my plugs just because it will make me feel better
Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have no idea how you got 90k with one set of brakes. Iíve been driving 18k a year for 25 years, all Acura/Honda and have never had that type of wear. I probably changed them every 2-3 years which would be 35Kó 60k.

I just bought an A4 3 weeks ago. First Euro car ever. I bought the Audi care for $1000 which I baked into my cost when I was negotiated. Do some research and test drive. An Audi is not a Toyota or Honda.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For what it's worth, my daughter's old Subaru Forester required brake fluid change at something like 60,000 miles. It is my sense of things that some manufacturers publish a low maintenance schedule so as not to scare buyers away, then leave it to the dealers to sell the owner on various maintenance procedures when they have you captive.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All cars should have the brake fluid replaced every two years regardless of mileage. Audi brakes do last a long time depending on driving style. My B8 A4 still had the factory front pads at 82k with some pad left, the rears lasted to 71k. The only unscheduled repair the car had was a water pump, a known weak point on that car.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

/1/ During the 1 time my Prius was taken to the dealer for maintenance, at about 130k miles, brakes still had 70% life left.

/2/ Have driven the A4 twice, and really like it. In my younger days, drove a couple of Rabbits and really liked the way the VWs drive. Had a brand new BMW 330(?) for two weeks as a rental car in Majorca last summer. Google for road pictures if you want to see a place that was made to drive a german car. I like the size, the mpg, the AWD, and the technology of the A4, though am a bit frustrated that I do need to get the prestige level to get current technology. Couldn't imagine buying a new car without adaptive cruise control and other safety features.

/3/ have test driven several Lexus's … the new UX hybrid was lousy... The NX300h was nice, but the infotainment is god aweful, and no HUD available. The ES series is a bit large and doesn't have a fold down rear seat... I need to be able to get my bicycle in the trunk. A4 has a decent size trunk, with a LARGE pass-thru. IS is mostly unchanged from 2012, and gets lousy mileage.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A hybrid with regenerative braking will naturally have brake pads/rotors that last a long time simply because they aren't used all the time to stop the car.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arf1410 View Post
/1/ During the 1 time my Prius was taken to the dealer for maintenance, at about 130k miles, brakes still had 70% life left.

/2/ Have driven the A4 twice, and really like it. In my younger days, drove a couple of Rabbits and really liked the way the VWs drive. Had a brand new BMW 330(?) for two weeks as a rental car in Majorca last summer. Google for road pictures if you want to see a place that was made to drive a german car. I like the size, the mpg, the AWD, and the technology of the A4, though am a bit frustrated that I do need to get the prestige level to get current technology. Couldn't imagine buying a new car without adaptive cruise control and other safety features.

/3/ have test driven several Lexus's Ö the new UX hybrid was lousy... The NX300h was nice, but the infotainment is god aweful, and no HUD available. The ES series is a bit large and doesn't have a fold down rear seat... I need to be able to get my bicycle in the trunk. A4 has a decent size trunk, with a LARGE pass-thru. IS is mostly unchanged from 2012, and gets lousy mileage.
1 - As someone else said, the pad life is partly because of regenerative braking but I will add that there is a human behavior at play as well. If a car isn't capable of accelerating with urgency, its pilot will rarely feel compelled to stop it aggressively either. People tend to drive their cars with an equilibrium of sorts and prioritize a smoothness. The Prius economy minder / eco score / whatever it's called also rewards slow stops by giving you a higher score than if you slam on the brakes, because the former translates to fuel savings.

2 - With you on all fronts. It's frustrating I had to elect over $10,000 in options on a car with a $50K base price to get the same technology that comes standard on every Toyota Corolla, but I did it on my S4 and I don't regret it at all. Audi is behind the 8 ball in this regard and I am confident that this scenario will only last a couple more years. They will be required to include these assistance options as standard if they want to stay competitive; that moment has pretty much already come with the example I just gave. We're in a weird time. Also those Majorca roads look beautiful...

3 - Lexus has always been behind the Germans. So has Acura (to a lesser extent). But those cars are for the most part sheep in wolves clothing; I recall fitting an Acura TSX-S rear sway bar + bushings to my Honda Accord V6 Coupe to reduce body roll about 8 years ago, because that bar was a direct OEM fitment; both cars shared the same chassis.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find all of a4 maintenance to be reasonable with the exception of Plugs and DSG flush every 40k.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just based on my observation and it could just be me, but I just do not see Audi's broken down on the side of the road or getting towed. I think by the manufacture including simple things like plug changes and belt changes in the maintenance intervals it is just preventative maintenance. From my perspective I would sooner do that than get a little more mileage out of them and then find the car won't start. Then you are looking at a tow bill, diagnostic fee's and then the replacement of said parts which would add up to more money in the end run. You also have to think of the length of time they are going now between intervals. Audi in Canada is once a year of 15,000kms for your oil service. when I go for a normal service it's about $250CAD. I had a 2015 Mazda 3 before owning Audi's and I had to take that in every 4 months or 8,000kms for an oil change and that was just over $100, so really in the end run the service isn't all that much more expensive. Yes the 60,000kms service on the A4 is going to cost me $1050CAD plus tax for the oil, DSG flush and plugs, but that is a normal thing for any cars with a DSG transmission. Even Hyundai is using DSG's in their cars now and require flush's. They are automated manual transmissions with friction clutches that will wear over time just like a brake pad (though not as quickly obviously) but all that worn material is in the DSG fluid and should get changed so it doesn't clog or wear out other parts prematurely. Overall I don't think that the maintenance cost of the A4 being that it is considered to be a performance sedan is all that much higher than other vehicles.

My two cents about OP's concern, if you are worried about maintenance costs compared to a Japanese car or any more econo minded car then buying an Audi probably isn't for you. The idea of having a higher end luxury vehicle comes with it's costs and if you are concerned about those costs maybe re evaluate your options. Also keep in mind with the Audi you will be putting in higher grade fuel that will cost more over time compared to your Camry or especially the Prius did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Maintenance Intervals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: