A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Pre-sense avoided collision, but...

Old 10-16-2017, 01:27 PM
APR Stage 1 B9.5 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi Pre-sense avoided collision, but...

So the other day I was in a double turn situation, I was in the right turning lane turning left, and there was a blue Honda or Acura SUV to my left. As the arrow turned green we both went. Turning at the same time, the Honda cut me off, took the lane I was supposed to be turning into, coming inches from sideswiping my car. Audi Pre-sense kicked in and swerved my car to the right and braked, but since I was already to the far right, there was nowhere to swerve into but a huge curb. So I had to get my car towed to Audi's collision center, now waiting to hear back from insurance. :/

Old 10-16-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Sorry about that. On one hand it might have been better if the other car hit you so you have them for the insurance claim and they would have sustained damaged to their car for their stupid driving. I'm guessing the other driver was oblivious to the situation and just kept driving on, but this way at least you didn't sustain body damage from what I can see, but that suspension doesn't look right anymore.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM
APR Stage 1 B9.5 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Sorry about that. On one hand it might have been better if the other car hit you so you have them for the insurance claim and they would have sustained damaged to their car for their stupid driving. I'm guessing the other driver was oblivious to the situation and just kept driving on, but this way at least you didn't sustain body damage from what I can see, but that suspension doesn't look right anymore.
Yeahh honestly he/she came into my lane so quickly if it wasn't for pre-sense I most likely wouldn't have swerved on my own and the claim would be a little easier to deal with. But I should be hearing back from insurance tomorrow and hopefully I'll just have to pay the deductible! Oh and yeah there was no body damage, just gonna have to replace that aftermarket wheel out of pocket, and hopefully Audi can get the car back 100%
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the car really turn on its own like that?

I wonder if a dash cam would have recorded the other driver in your lane.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129

Dash cam likely wouldn't have picked it up, but even so - would still be the OPs fault.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When Audi has level-4 driving, they will accept responsibility.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That is new to me, too. My understanding was that at most, the system engages the brakes to come to a stop, but I can't find anything about taking over steering to avoid a collision. The following link takes you to a comprehensive list of driver assist features. The new D5 A8 is the most sophisticated, but I can't find anything in the list that would indicate autonomous collision avoidance and if so, it would most likely only be in the A8.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-systems-7184
Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The car has is an ESP that keeps people from over-correcting when they swerve, and that does take over steering. But otherwise, I don't think the car can turn to avoid things. Are you sure you didn't provide the initial steering input?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The car has is an ESP that keeps people from over-correcting when they swerve, and that does take over steering. But otherwise, I don't think the car can turn to avoid things. Are you sure you didn't provide the initial steering input?
The ESP doesn't take over the steering. It uses the brakes selectively, i.e. applies brake to only one or two wheels, to "nudge" the car in an over-steering condition.

There is no way that the car swerve by itself in the manner that the OP described.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMYM
The ESP doesn't take over the steering. It uses the brakes selectively, i.e. applies brake to only one or two wheels, to "nudge" the car in an over-steering condition.

There is no way that the car swerve by itself in the manner that the OP described.
I wondered the same thing when I read this. The only thing I could find is "collision avoidance assist" (on this page). While the image looks like a car steering around something, from their text I think you're right about the brake application, and it doesn't kick in until 18 mph. It does imply that the feature is available on more than just the A8, but I couldn't find any strict reference to which models.

Collision avoidance assist helps the driver steer around an obstacle in a critical situation. The system uses data from the two radar sensors and the front camera for this purpose. In calculating a suitable evasive maneuver corridor, it takes into account the distance, width and offset of the vehicle driving ahead.

First, a jolt is produced to warn the driver of the hazard. If the driver then actively avoids the obstacle, the assistant applies a slight steering torque that helps by correcting the driver’s steering input or helping to make a necessary lane change. In the Audi A8 (D5), the vehicle is also made to follow the computed course by specific braking of individual wheels.

Collision avoidance assist is available over a speed range from approx. 30 to 150 km/h (18.6 to 93.2 mph), and it assumes that the driver is actively steering throughout the maneuver. The driver is informed of the intervention by an indicator in the instrument cluster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Pre-sense avoided collision, but...