A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Pre-sense avoided collision, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IMYM
The ESP doesn't take over the steering. It uses the brakes selectively, i.e. applies brake to only one or two wheels, to "nudge" the car in an over-steering condition.

There is no way that the car swerve by itself in the manner that the OP described.
I guess it wasn't ESP, but I saw something in a video. Here is what I saw - CAA. 1:24 on this video - claims to be on USA A4.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I guess it wasn't ESP, but I saw something in a video. Here is what I saw - CAA. 1:24 on this video - claims to be on USA A4.
I think that's the one - hard to know what they mean by "provides gentle steering guidance", though.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The other question is - do any of my cars actually have this? It is possibly a feature that they developed but didn't enable.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other question is - do any of my cars actually have this? It is possibly a feature that they developed but didn't enable.
Hard thing to test, but you'd get a lot of kudos for a hands-free rear-end attempt
Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM
APR Stage 1 B9.5 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I mentioned that the car swerved I didn't mean like a crazy swerve, it was very smooth also the brakes were applied at the same time and the Pre-sense notification lit up on the dash. Honestly I'm surprised more people didn't know about the CAA helping you with steering, it's actually "swerved" for me before in a similar situation on the highway when somebody cut me off
Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have no idea how this could help me with "helpful steering inputs." Does it take over steering or not?

"

2018 AllRoad: Collision avoidance assist

In the event that a sharp maneuver is needed to avoid a collision, the available Collision avoidance assist supports the driver when turning into the adjacent lane by determining a suitable route for the vehicle and providing helpful steering inputs that can help the driver stay on the computed path.

"
Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

AllRoad has this feature. A4 and Q7 do not
Old 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I have no idea how this could help me with "helpful steering inputs." Does it take over steering or not?

"

2018 AllRoad: Collision avoidance assist

In the event that a sharp maneuver is needed to avoid a collision, the available Collision avoidance assist supports the driver when turning into the adjacent lane by determining a suitable route for the vehicle and providing helpful steering inputs that can help the driver stay on the computed path.

"
I don't think so. Audi has had this kind of thing for a while. It's called driver steering recommendation. It slightly moves the steering to coerce the driver to steer in the proper direction to stabilize the car. I think the above is just an iteration of that nudging the driver to steer in the direction that avoids the collision. The ESP also has functions to correct oversteering. None of these take over steering per say. They just apply some steering torque to nudge the driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver...Recommendation
Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLkiwi
I think that's the one - hard to know what they mean by "provides gentle steering guidance", though.
I'm going to guess it's the same as the gentle steering guidance the lane assist feature uses. It generates resistance if you try to turn without a turn signal and will actually push your car around a bend in the road without any driver input. The gentle part comes in in that you can override it pretty easily. For instance, I sometimes forget to signal when I'm getting off the freeway. The steering wheel keeps wanting me to go straight, so it pushes against me slightly when I get on the offramp. But it's easily overridden with just the slightest effort. Because it is easily overridden, I keep it on 100% of the time. I know some people don't like it, but I think it's a helpful feature. If it can help keep me from straying across the lane in a moment of distraction or keep me from scraping my tires against the side of the road, I'm all for it. In the OP's case, it might be this feature that scraped his tire against the road, but it seems we're not all sure whether the car did give guidance. But in scraping against the road, it might have prevented body damage.

Last edited by NorthwestB9; 10-17-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car will nudge me back into the lane if i try to change laes with someone in my blindspot regardless of wether i have my turn signals on or not. i assume that the OPs car acted as if in that same scenario.

Quick Reply: Audi Pre-sense avoided collision, but...