A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Traffic Jam Assist issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Traffic Jam Assist issue

I have a new 2019 A4. I have noted that for traffic jam assist, the system seems to keep me towards the left side of the lane, rather than the center. Sometimes I get a bit close to the cars in the lane next to me. Is there any way that this can be adjusted, either by the user or by the dealer? On the other hand, lane assist seems to work ok.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Traffic Jam Assist tries to keep you centered to the car in front of you, so if it's left of center, in theory, you would be too. I don't have any issues with it on my car. Try it out again and see if it still does it even if the car ahead of you is centered in the lane.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct, sometimes I feel a little 'tweak' is required on the steering wheel to keep the car central to the lanes.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by philimd
I have a new 2019 A4. I have noted that for traffic jam assist, the system seems to keep me towards the left side of the lane, rather than the center. Sometimes I get a bit close to the cars in the lane next to me. Is there any way that this can be adjusted, either by the user or by the dealer? On the other hand, lane assist seems to work ok.
Have had the same '' KEEPING LEFT'' experience from day one, early 2017 a4 here.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Traffic Jam Assist does attempt to follow the car in front of you, so if the car in front is hugging the left (or right) lane marking, so will your car. The best way I've found to mitigate this is putting the steering correction to "early".
Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I Have found my car to be left bias/ left learning in TJA irrespective of the car in front of me.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
I Have found my car to be left bias/ left learning in TJA irrespective of the car in front of me.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here: Could it be that the TJA system is putting the car dead center in the lane and drivers just do not see it that way. Sometimes when I am a passenger in someone else's car I think they are driving too far to one side or the other, when in fact they may not be. I see a lot of drivers hugging left or right but not seeming to recognize this. Sort of like the people you see pulling into a wide enough, clearly striped parking space thinking they are dead center, then get they out, look at the car, get back in and move it over a bit. I think many of us (I could be one of them) are not as great in sensing the actual placement of our vehicle as we think we are. Maybe the robot is better at this. Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

German engenieers program the car to gravitate to one side of the lane for emergency vehicles to get past. A little thing they usually do in German cars with semi autonomous capabilities.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ojwhittington
German engenieers program the car to gravitate to one side of the lane for emergency vehicles to get past. A little thing they usually do in German cars with semi autonomous capabilities.
Is that your opinion or you know that for sure?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Is that your opinion or you know that for sure?
I have been told this but I’m honestly not too sure

Quick Reply: Audi Traffic Jam Assist issue