A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Traffic Jam Assist issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if it is possible to calibrate the front radar so the car is more 'central'?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve noticed the tendency to gravitate towards the left as well, to the point I feel obligated to “correct” the system and manually steer it back to more center. But then it gradually drifts back closer to the left, and closer to the cars in the next lane, and a little too close for comfort. I think the system is designed to follow the cars in front of you (and not strictly follow the lane) when the car(s) in front of you are leaving the lane and it is safe to do so, for example if there’s a car stopped on the shoulder or debris in the road.

One thing that frustrates me about TJA and the ACC in this car in general is how it reacts to cars merging into or out of your lane in front of you. I haven’t found a “sweet spot” with the settings/distance control where the car reacts closely to how a human would when fully in control. It either takes too long to detect a car moving out of the lane to speed up, too slow to react when a car merges in and brakes too harshly, etc. Sometimes I don’t like using it just because I feel like it’s pissing off drivers around me and I just end up overriding it anyways.

On a side note, I recently had a 2018 Camry as a rental with ACC. As much as I hate to admit it, I greatly preferred the ACC experience in the Camry. Took a long trip and very rarely felt the need to “override” it by braking or accelerating.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ojwhittington
German engenieers program the car to gravitate to one side of the lane for emergency vehicles to get past. A little thing they usually do in German cars with semi autonomous capabilities.
This sounds a little ridiculous. There's no way engineers can know which lane you're in to program for emergency vehicles to get past.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave788
One thing that frustrates me about TJA and the ACC in this car in general is how it reacts to cars merging into or out of your lane in front of you. I haven’t found a “sweet spot” with the settings/distance control where the car reacts closely to how a human would when fully in control. It either takes too long to detect a car moving out of the lane to speed up, too slow to react when a car merges in and brakes too harshly, etc. Sometimes I don’t like using it just because I feel like it’s pissing off drivers around me and I just end up overriding it anyways.
I share the same experience. When the car in front merges out of your lane, it takes way too long to speed up. Even worse, when a car merges into your lane, the radars/camera don't detect the car until it's fully in front of you, at which point you're hugging it's rear bumper.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
I share the same experience. When the car in front merges out of your lane, it takes way too long to speed up. Even worse, when a car merges into your lane, the radars/camera don't detect the car until it's fully in front of you, at which point you're hugging it's rear bumper.
ACC at distance setting 3 and drive select in comfort seems to smooth out things for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
ACC at distance setting 3 and drive select in comfort seems to smooth out things for me.
The problem, even with distance 1, is the gap created between you and the car in front that always results in cars merging in front of you. I know this is by design, but to some people it is a nuisance to constantly have people merge in front of you.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree that it's not a great experience and it feels a bit like someone who's just learning how to drive and uses both the accelerator and brake more like on/off switches. In a way, I guess it is learning to drive. Many times I've thought that it was going to cause an accident by stopping too quickly, but increasing the distance and putting drive select in "comfort" helps with that. It does encourage mergers, though.