A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi UTR in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi UTR in the U.S.?

Has anybody heard anything lately about whether and when Audi will bring the UTR (OEM dash cam) to the U.S.?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I want to know this as well. I want Audi to either offer factory installed dash cam, or do what Tesla did and enable dash cam with existing cameras... With 5 cameras on Prestige there should be no need for additional dash cam.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's coming as an accessory this year.

However, it is 1080P and only uses the vehicle electronics to power the camera. There is no integration with the car beyond this. Other solutions, like Blackvue or ThinkWare, will provide better app support and image quality.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
It's coming as an accessory this year.

However, it is 1080P and only uses the vehicle electronics to power the camera. There is no integration with the car beyond this. Other solutions, like Blackvue or ThinkWare, will provide better app support and image quality.
Any updates on this? Spoke to my dealer and he seemed to think it’s only available in Europe.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet there's huge resistance to this kind of thing from the insurance industry.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
I bet there's huge resistance to this kind of thing from the insurance industry.
Not sure why; there are many dash cam manufacturers that seem to be doing very well.

Features that Tesla is implementing like sentry mode, etc. will start to be requested of other car manufacturers.

My insurance company offers to let me install a device that monitors my driving and it reports into them for a reduced rate - if they’re doing that, why be afraid of a dash cam?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Not sure why; there are many dash cam manufacturers that seem to be doing very well.

Features that Tesla is implementing like sentry mode, etc. will start to be requested of other car manufacturers.

My insurance company offers to let me install a device that monitors my driving and it reports into them for a reduced rate - if they’re doing that, why be afraid of a dash cam?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ies-no-policy/

Perhaps things have changed since this article, and/or maybe Im mis-remembering it, but my main takeaway was that the insurance industry thinks dashcam footage will only ever give one side of the story in accident cases because guilty drivers would never offer their own dashcam footage, and therefore the industry would rather stick with status quo and not deal with this "new thing".
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer here in Canada is offering the front and rear cameras. They are currently running a 15% off sale until the end of the month too. I would think that because it's available in Canada it should be available in the US as well. https://www.audimississauga.com/en/p...recorder/75817

Also my dash cam saved me when I rear ended someone in my last car. I was doing a shoulder check to change lanes and left plenty of space. As we were passing through the intersection I did the shoulder check and she decided at that moment to slam on her brakes for no reason. Dash cam caught this and I was able to change the blame to her because the video showed no reason for her to come to a complete stop. For insurance they are not the ones who have to figure out blame, that is done by the police when responding to an accident. In my case the police withdrew the careless driving charge from me and charged the driver who slammed on her brakes causing the accident in the first place. Once insurance received the police report they proceeded with my claim no issues and the fault was on the other driver. I get the whole insurance issue with dash cams showing only one side of the story, but again that is for the police to investigate and not the insurance company.

Last edited by Woodsie0520; 05-08-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added to comment.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Woodsie0520
My dealer here in Canada is offering the front and rear cameras. They are currently running a 15% off sale until the end of the month too. I would think that because it's available in Canada it should be available in the US as well. https://www.audimississauga.com/en/p...recorder/75817

Also my dash cam saved me when I rear ended someone in my last car. I was doing a shoulder check to change lanes and left plenty of space. As we were passing through the intersection I did the shoulder check and she decided at that moment to slam on her brakes for no reason. Dash cam caught this and I was able to change the blame to her because the video showed no reason for her to come to a complete stop. For insurance they are not the ones who have to figure out blame, that is done by the police when responding to an accident. In my case the police withdrew the careless driving charge from me and charged the driver who slammed on her brakes causing the accident in the first place. Once insurance received the police report they proceeded with my claim no issues and the fault was on the other driver. I get the whole insurance issue with dash cams showing only one side of the story, but again that is for the police to investigate and not the insurance company.
Thank you for your post!

Do you have the Audi UTR? If so, how do you like it? I’ve read mixed reports and was hoping the issues I read were simply bugs in the earlier software releases that have hopefully been fixed by now.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not have the Audi UTR. I have a thinkware F50 hardwired into my fuse panel. The audi one is quite expensive and I think I’m about $150 in for what I have and it does the job.

Quick Reply: Audi UTR in the U.S.?