A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi's key mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

My solutions: Audi smart key is on a small carabiner hooked to a my pants belt loop.Won't lose the key without the pants.Only convenient if the key is smart.
Mini motor-home spare dumb key is in magnetic box tucked on top of rear frame member. Saved me some trouble in Mojave Desert b/c I locked the key inside. Can't seem to find these magnetic boxes anymore.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod;25257351[color=#2980b9
]I use to keep it in my wallet, but decided to do this instead. Been there for 5+ years and luckily never needed.
That's where the tow hook goes. The square piece just pops out using any flat object.
Black plastic tie holds key once pushed inside opening. No issues staying there for 5 years.
[/color]
2017 and up A4s don't have a flat valet key any more. That's what I'm complaining about. Who wants to carry a spare key remote around with them?

Everybody here is telling me how they try to prevent from losing their key, but what happens if the unthinkable happens, and you lose the key while far away from home?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ valid point. I guess the answer is, we'd be screwed?
The car can't be locked with a remote-key inside, correct? So I guess you'd have to carry a second remote key all the time to reduce that risk.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You can unlock the doors with the mobile app now, but you can’t start the car without the remote fob. This makes our cars much harder to steal than in the past. When the dealer handed me my keys, he said “don’t lose them, they’re very expensive”. I def wont
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
I never put my B9 key fob on a key ring. When I head out of the house with the car, I always keep it separate and put it in my jeans or shorts front pocket or zip it in a coat pocket if I’m wearing one. Then, all the time I’m out with car and whatever I’m doing, I never touch the key. This might not work for everyone but it works well for me.

I started doing this a couple of cars ago ago. I always have to be going for my key ring for a key or store loyalty card. I was dropping my key ring way too often and my expensive car key fobs were really taking a beating as they bounced off the deck. Plus it added a lot of bulk to my key ring I didn’t want.
Even when I needed to insert the key start the car, I always kept the car key by itself. I didn't like the keys jingling when hanging off the ignition key.

With keyless entry and ignition, it never leaves my pocket ... except when I'm washing the car, then it's inside the car.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping your Audi fob/key separate as standalone from your keyring? Wha? You guys are nuts.

My “keys” (much like my wallet and phone) stay with me in my front pocket and I simply don’t lose them. This all sounds like a hunt for solutions in the absence of a problem. Don’t get drunk in a cornfield and lose your keys - “problem” solved!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojai
Keeping your Audi fob/key separate as standalone from your keyring? Wha? You guys are nuts.

My “keys” (much like my wallet and phone) stay with me in my front pocket and I simply don’t lose them. This all sounds like a hunt for solutions in the absence of a problem. Don’t get drunk in a cornfield and lose your keys - “problem” solved!
I'm sympathetic to both perspectives.

Once upon a time, back when GM still had separate door/ignition keys, one cool thing you could do to protect yourself from clumsily locking the key in the car was make a copy of the door key (nice thin metal-only key with no electronics) and keep it in, say, your wallet. Seemed like a good idea and it only cost a few dollars for a random store that does key cutting to copy your door key. Of course, fob-based systems have more or less made it impossible to lock the keys in the car (though I came dangerously close to locking my A4 fob in the car once right after picking it up from the dealer's service department...).

The thing is, if you're trying to protect yourself against key loss rather than key locked in car, you need the full-fledged key/fob/whatever to not only get in the car, but successfully start/drive it, otherwise you haven't really gotten that far ahead...

In the long term, I guess Tesla-style bluetooth cell phone access control systems may 'solve' this, but I don't know about you guys, but having had some iPhones with moody batteries, _I_ certainly prefer having a separate fob for the car...
Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Everybody here is telling me how they try to prevent from losing their key, but what happens if the unthinkable happens, and you lose the key while far away from home?
One would be screwed in that situation. It's like asking what happens when one steps in front of an oncoming bus. The wisest response would be to look both ways before entering the street and not step out in front of an oncoming bus.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Why wouldn’t this work? Take the second key fob, place it in one of those “rf shielding pouches” and place it in the car. Take the physical key, place it behind the tow hook cover as previously pictured. If you loose your key fob, use the physical key/connect app to unlock door, retrieve key fob from the pouch, start car.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
2017 and up A4s don't have a flat valet key any more.
They do. You can get a flat plastic key blank on eBay for about $3.

Quick Reply: Audi's key mistake