A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi's key mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
One would be screwed in that situation. It's like asking what happens when one steps in front of an oncoming bus. The wisest response would be to look both ways before entering the street and not step out in front of an oncoming bus.
Exactly, what makes Audi any different from any other manufacturer, I have never had a 'valet key' with any Audi or any other manufacturers cars I've owned.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I attended an outdoor event tonight in an almost pitch-black field. Somewhere in that field, I lost my house keys. Luckily, I keep my car key on a separate key ring.

But what if I had lost my car key? I would be up the creek! I mean, who carries a spare remote key on him or her? With my previous three Audis, I had a small, flat "valet key" that I could keep in my wallet. And believe me, there were many times I was lucky I had it.

But this time around if I had lost my remote key, I would have been in big trouble. I keep my spare car remote key in a safe in my house, but the key to my safe was on my house-key ring, so that's gone, too. So it's not like I could've sent somebody to my house to pick up my spare car key. Luckily, I do have a spare house key and safe key hidden in a safe place, so I was able to get into my house.

Meanwhile, I'm curious about what other Audi owners do about having their spare key available for emergencies.
The simple answer: Always make sure your key rings have multi-colored keys, fobs, etc so they don't get lost, even in an almost pitch-black field.

The high-tech answer: Get a Tile.

If I was **really** cynical, I would say this was a plant by someone trying to drum up interest in Tile.

Anyway, regarding the spare key thing: when my wife and I go on a long trip, we each carry our copy of the key. The odds of both of us dropping the keys on an almost pitch-black field is very low.

Last edited by MDAudi; 01-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Exactly, what makes Audi any different from any other manufacturer, I have never had a 'valet key' with any Audi or any other manufacturers cars I've owned.
My 1996, 2002 and 2009 A4s each came with a flat valet key. My 2017 didn't. But even if it did, how could you start the car with one?

Last edited by A4Driver; 01-06-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lmariorod
This is probably what you are referring to about the flat valet key. If however, you have a convenience key where you just press the start button with the fob in proximity, Does that fob allow you to disengage the physical key from the body of the remote, whereby you can physically open the car door? If so, I'd place that physical part that opens the door similar to what I've done on either the rear or front tow hook opening and keep the other part of the remote in the trunk. In a bag that won't allow the transmitter to be recognized by the car and therefore start the car. That is, until the body of the remote is removed from the bag. An EZ pass type bag/pouch to keep the tag from being read.
No, I'm referring to the flat, black plastic key that you showed in your other photo. A key like that is not available for the B9 A4.

The current chrome key section you pictured will never fit in my wallet ... and wouldn't start the car, either.

Last edited by A4Driver; 01-06-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IMYM
They do. You can get a flat plastic key blank on eBay for about $3.
Not for a B9 A4 you can't.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Not for a B9 A4 you can't.
I have one in my wallet, so i am pretty sure you can. If you look at the key it is nothing more than a rectangular piece of metal. You can even easily make a key blank yourself with metal or just 3d print one.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Just 3D print one isn’t exactly a solution 98% of owners have access to. And how much is a printer relative to an extra key and fob from Audi? I’m sure the key is cheaper

As mentioned the fob starts the car; the shank portion just gets you inside. Without the fob, you’re stuck in place.

but the app also lets you unlock the car, so not sure how or why even a 3D printed, plastic helps to begin with

fact of the matter is, the only way you’re safe, is don’t lose the key to begin with. Anything beyond this will simply range in both cost, inconvenience and time wasted
Old 01-06-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A Tile is a decent idea. Maybe I have just been lucky, I haven’t lost my Audi key. Because it never has to come out of my pocket, I just haven’t had any reason to lose it. Now, I have lost car keys before. Several times. Mostly when i had to put my key in the ignition to start the car. I would either get busy and leave the keys in the ignition, or a couple times I set them on the seat while doing other things and forgot them there. My wife is famous for losing her keys, wallet, credit cards, etc. But since having a fob that she doesn’t have take out of her purse, she has been better with her car keys. My main point though is how in the world did this become Audi’s fault? If you lose your keys, you lost your keys. Audi didn’t lose them for you. Really, it is simply pretty much your responsibility to have your keys when you need them. I find Audi’s system is much better. Makes it harder to lose your keys. You can still it, but blaming Audi is just a little weird.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What happens when the car’s battery dies and the doors are locked? And what is the point of the valet key slot on driver’s door when no key is included with the car?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by marz1
What happens when the car’s battery dies and the doors are locked? And what is the point of the valet key slot on driver’s door when no key is included with the car?
A key is included with your car. It is in the FOB. And you can also unlock the car with your myAudi app.

Quick Reply: Audi's key mistake