A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Auto stop/start malfunction and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto stop/start malfunction and check engine light

I drive a 2017 A4, and until now, my ownership experience has been rather smooth.

Today, my auto stop/start system malfunctioned. Old news—it’s done this before—except when I turned the car on to drive later in the day, the error returned along with the check engine light. I’m used to this error resolving the next time I start, and never with a CEL.

I’ve researched the issue on the forums, and from what I can tell it usually resolves on its own. I’ve also read it may be a sensor problem. I’m making an appointment at my service center to get it seen to (next Thursday). Before then, I have a 650-mile round trip I’m taking to NYC and back, and I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk with the CEL on.

I’ve attached a picture of what my dash looks like when I start. Any insight into the issue would be appreciated! 🙃
Old 05-04-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're still within warranty, if it were me I wouldn't even seek speculation from people online - just take it in to the dealer and get it resolved before it becomes something more.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

If there are no other signs of a problem, and the warning just says the S/S isn't working and needs to be looked at, I'd go ahead and take the pre-planned trip, assuming there's a good reason for going. But I do tend to be less risk-averse than some.

It might be worth a call back to the dealer to at least ask if there are earlier options, as you have a trip planned.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Agree with the others above, you are still within warranty so why not take it to the dealer to have them take a look the first time around.

If the dealer is too inconvenient, get the CEL scanned. The big automotive parts chain stores like AutoZone will do it for free and have a print-out of possible issues and you can determine if it's related. It could be as simple as the gas cap not being tightened fully.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Just a note - OP said s/he has an appointment with the dealer to have it checked. The question is whether s/he should take it on a planned drive before that appointment.

So no need for "take it to the dealer" piling on .
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I decided to reschedule the drive to get this seen to--thank you all for your helpful comments. My dealership can't get me in until the 16th, which sucks, but I'll live. I'd rather be safe than sorry with a car like this.

I'll update the thread once I get the car serviced in case it helps anyone else having this issue. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With my dealer, I had a problem with the CEL, and they were willing to pull it in right away and check the codes while I waited. If it was a problem they would keep the car, if it wasn't I could take a loaner or come back later. If your schedule allows, I would go straight to the dealer to be there as soon as they open Monday morning and see if they could do something like that. Good luck! I hope you have a great trip, too. Long trips are MUCH nicer in an Audi!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Meant to update this sooner. My dealership in Northern VT got my car in back in late May, and diagnosed the issue as a faulty high pressure fuel pump. They replaced the part under warranty (the pump was making a very loud squealing noise), I took the aformentioned trip, and all was fine until last week.

Last Friday, I was driving in Dynamic mode on some back roads, and the check engine light came on again. This time, I took it right to the dealer. The takeaway was a "fuel pressure too high" error code, but the techs couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Once again, I have to wait two weeks until they can get the car into the shop for a look.

From my research, it's gotta be something in the fuel system--either something blocked, or a sensor. The car drives fine aside from a rough idle on cold start that goes away pretty quick, but geez. These aren't the kind of problems I was expecting at only 21,000 miles!