A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Automatic headlights stopped working

Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Automatic headlights stopped working

When I pull out of my garage in the morning, my headlights are on for about a block or two, then my Daytime Running Lights take over. At the same time, my MMI screen gets brighter to compensate for the daylight. Not any more.

For the last two days, my headlights have remained on -- and my MMI stays dim -- despite the fact that it's extremely bright outdoors. I went into my exterior lighting settings and noticed that the headlight activation was set on Medium. So I set it on Early, and immediately my headlights went off and the MMI screen got bright. But as soon as I started driving, the headlights came back on and the screen dimmed. It's kind of difficult to see the MMI when I'm wearing sunglasses.

So I reached over to the headlight switch to the left of the steering column and I turned my headlights off. I immediately received a warning on my VC screen to turn my headlights on.

Does anybody have a solution to this? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It happens in a lot of cars this time of year. Low bright sunlight often triggers auto headlights. Happened in all of my Audis, my Honda, and Kia in the past.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It happens in a lot of cars this time of year. Low bright sunlight often triggers auto headlights. Happened in all of my Audis, my Honda, and Kia in the past.
This. I just turn the light switch to off. The DRLs stay on and VC changes to daytime colors. The car does warn you to turn the lights on but just for a couple of secs.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Originally Posted by RedKloud
This. I just turn the light switch to off. The DRLs stay on and VC changes to daytime colors. The car does warn you to turn the lights on but just for a couple of secs.
Thanks. I went out again this afternoon and the headlights didn't come on this time.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want it to select DRL rather than headlight you should set MMI setting to "LATE", not early.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is NOT normal for automotic headlights, despite the “time of year”. I live in Southern California where we get bright daylight nearly year round. And the light sensors should detect the proper lumens and shut off the headlight and brighten the MMI screen in bright daylight. I just acquired an 2019 A6 2 weeks ago, and it’s already exhibited the same problem with the Auto headlight feature. My other car is a Lexus and we never have a problem with it’s auto headlight function. I’m bringing it in the shop to get fixed.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-05-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ONI1013
This is NOT normal for automotic headlights, despite the “time of year”. I let everyone in Southern California where we get bright daylight nearly year round. And the light sensors should detect the proper lumens and shut off the headlight and brighten the MMI screen in bright daylight. I just acquired an 2019 A6 2 weeks ago, and it’s already exhibited the same problem with the Auto headlight feature. My other car is a Lexus and we never have a problem with it’s auto headlight function. I’m bringing it in the shop to get fixed.
Please let us know how it turns out. I get this problem all the time now.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Please let us know how it turns out. I get this problem all the time now.
Wow that’s terrible. Audi should definitely get this fixed for you. I heard somewhere it’s a faulty light/rain sensor, but i’ll let you know what I discover at the dealership. I have an appointment in next 4 days, but just my luck it’s going rain that day— and I need to demo this malfunction under bright sunlight. Probably will let your in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013
This is NOT normal for automotic headlights, despite the “time of year”. I let everyone in Southern California where we get bright daylight nearly year round. And the light sensors should detect the proper lumens and shut off the headlight and brighten the MMI screen in bright daylight. I just acquired an 2019 A6 2 weeks ago, and it’s already exhibited the same problem with the Auto headlight feature. My other car is a Lexus and we never have a problem with it’s auto headlight function. I’m bringing it in the shop to get fixed.
Though it has happened to all the cars I have owned and is normal. Unfortunately the light sensor cannot be perfect and replace the human eye..
Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Though it has happened to all the cars I have owned and is normal. Unfortunately the light sensor cannot be perfect and replace the human eye..
I don’t expect it to be “perfect” or replace the human eye, BUT sorry, it can and should work as designed. It should tell the difference between bright daylight and dark/dusk, and make adjustments accordingly. The fact that other I’ve owned two other cars that has Auto headlights and works “perfectly” makes me know this is NOT “normal” functionality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic headlights stopped working