A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Automatic headlights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had this same issue ever since I got the car. I've taken my car to 3 different dealers for diagnosis and none of them were able to solve this. One dealer even replaced the entire headlight switch ****. See the video below. I am driving in broad daylight with the headlights on "AUTO". However, my headlights are ON. The car is thinking that is it nighttime. When I manually turn off my lights, I get a warning to turn on my headlights.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
I've had this same issue ever since I got the car. I've taken my car to 3 different dealers for diagnosis and none of them were able to solve this. One dealer even replaced the entire headlight switch ****. See the video below. I am driving in broad daylight with the headlights on "AUTO". However, my headlights are ON. The car is thinking that is it nighttime. When I manually turn off my lights, I get a warning to turn on my headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_G2bL9xA8
Definitely not normal, Do you know if any coding were done to keep headlight on permanently? Say previous owner etc.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Definitely not normal, Do you know if any coding were done to keep headlight on permanently? Say previous owner etc.
Highly doubt it. I've never heard of that kind of coding anywhere, even on this forum.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. That’s the exact same behavior my car is not exhibiting. And
sorry the dealerships weren’t able to properly diagnose and fix yet. Have you asked them to check the light sensor? My guess is it’s that.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Happens to my car occasionally too. It’s usually a dirty windshield or direct, bright sunlight that causes the issue. I just ignore it and drive on anyway since the headlight doesn’t bother oncoming traffic. Sometimes it goes off after I drive for a bit. Or after I wash my car.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Please let us know how it turns out. I get this problem all the time now.
Took car in for service for headlight today. Service consultant actually saw problem in morning (was very bright and sunny with no clouds), but technicians could not duplicate problem after restarting car. They did adjust the headlight settings to “late” (I had it at “medium”), and toggled the headlight lever from high beam back to normal while in Auto mode. Very frustrating techs couldn’t duplicate problem. Foreman did say take video when happens again so they can document towards case of getting new light/rain sensor replaced if this keeps happening.
Looks like I’m going have to wait a little longer and bring it back when it acts out again. — sigh —

On another note, the 2019 A4 loaner they gave me had absolutely no Auto headlight issues. Drove through dark tunnel, and lights turned on within a second and MMI screen went into night mode, and when drive back into sunlight, headlights turned off within 5 seconds and MMI screen went back to day mode near instantly.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ONI1013

Took car in for service for headlight today. Service consultant actually saw problem in morning (was very bright and sunny with no clouds), but technicians could not duplicate problem after restarting car. They did adjust the headlight settings to “late” (I had it at “medium”), and toggled the headlight lever from high beam back to normal while in Auto mode. Very frustrating techs couldn’t duplicate problem. Foreman did say take video when happens again so they can document towards case of getting new light/rain sensor replaced if this keeps happening.
Looks like I’m going have to wait a little longer and bring it back when it acts out again. — sigh —

On another note, the 2019 A4 loaner they gave me had absolutely no Auto headlight issues. Drove through dark tunnel, and lights turned on within a second and MMI screen went into night mode, and when drive back into sunlight, headlights turned off within 5 seconds and MMI screen went back to day mode near instantly.
"late" "medium" setting, etc has nothing to with the regular headlights. That refers to the automatic HIGH beams. So many people on this forum confuse this. The OP was talking about regular headlights, not high beams.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

"late" "medium" setting, etc has nothing to with the regular headlights. That refers to the automatic HIGH beams. So many people on this forum confuse this. The OP was talking about regular headlights, not high beams.
2019 Audi A6 Manual pg 50. “Automatic Headlights: You can adjust the following settings for the Automatic Headlights menu: Headlight Activation Time - You can adjust if the Headlights switch on Early, Medium, or Late according to the sensitivity of the light sensor.”

And yes, I do realize it’s an A6 manual but the settings are the same for all the new Audi’s Automatic Headlights settings.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-07-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ONI1013

2019 Audi A6 Manual pg 50. “Automatic Headlights: You can adjust the following settings for the Automatic Headlights menu: Headlight Activation Time - You can adjust if the Headlights switch on Early, Medium, or Late according to the sensitivity of the light sensor.”

And yes, I do realize it’s an A6 manual but the settings are the same for all the new Audi’s Automatic Headlights settings.

Unless there's been an update to the user manual, the A4 manual does not mention this for regular headlights. The headlight activation time only applies for high-beams. I don't know why you reference the A6 manual because the settings are clearly not the same.

See pg. 54 on the A4 user manual:

Pg. 52 talks about the regular headlights.

Last edited by chemengin; 02-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unless there's been an update to the user manual, the A4 manual does not mention this for regular headlights. The headlight activation time only applies for high-beams. I don't know why you reference the A6 manual because the settings are clearly not the same.

See pg. 54 on the A4 user manual:

Pg. 52 talks about the regular headlights.
I referenced the A6 manual because that is what I have. An A6. There were no other forum for the A6-C8s that I found that has the same Auto-Headlight issues. But I heard the light/rain sensor used for the Automatic Headlights is the same across the newer A4, A6, A7, and A8s. Please tell me if there is another thread for A6 that has same issue. I looked everywhere.

Regarding the the old manual. Mine was published in 2019 and the Audi shop foreman also confirmed the settings adjust the light sensitivity of the regular low beam Headlights. And he recommended keeping it at “Late” for my low beam headlights to turn on only after it gets dark later in day. Nothing to do with High Beam Assistant function.

Not saying your settings in the A4 functions same as mine, but have you tried these settings in your car and see if it makes a difference with your Regular Headlights activation time?

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights stopped working