A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Automatic start/stop disabled

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Automatic start/stop disabled

Hello,
i have about 15000 miles on my 2017 Premium Plus with Manual Transmission. On about 10 occasions the car at under 2 miles an hour has actually shut off requiring me to press the Start Engine Stop button (note not the start/stop system button)
A message in the instrument cluster said "Automatic start/stop disabled". On one occasion it was very scary as I was drifting into an intersection and to my surprise no power when pressing the accelerator.
90% sure the problem occurs regardless of the start/stop system enabled or not.

I have been working with the dealer to address the problem and essentially was told that the owners manual discusses this very point. In fact on page 88 it is in discussed suggesting that this will occur when specific conditions are not met during a stop phase.
As I have not seen or heard of the problem and dealer has not seen the problem I am thinking the with so few manual transmissions sold it might be related.
Car is currently being serviced to see if anything can be determined

First I am curious if anyone has had the problem?
Second in my opinion this is an unacceptable "FEATURE" of the car.

Unless something is determined during my service which i doubt I am considering options with perhaps not keeping the car and putting the onus on Audi (certainly not at that point at the moment)

Any thoughts, comments etc would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tadd
Hello, i have about 15000 miles on my 2017 Premium Plus with Manual Transmission. On about 10 occasions the car at under 2 miles an hour has actually shut off requiring me to press the Start Engine Stop button (note not the start/stop system button)
A message in the instrument cluster said "Automatic start/stop disabled". On one occasion it was very scary as I was drifting into an intersection and to my surprise no power when pressing the accelerator ...
Wow, that sucks. I have had my '17 Premium Plus for almost two years now, and have never experienced that problem. You're right, that is unacceptable. I hope the dealership can fix it.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues here but I have an auto tranny.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven’t encountered this once; 2018 Prestige with 8k miles on it. I would say that it’s not only not acceptable, but a significant safety concern when the car shuts off while still in gear and moving. I have an automatic as well, so maybe something with the software on the manual transmission? If your dealer is being difficult I would reach out to Audi America and/or an alternative dealership. I’ve found in my car ownership years that when dealers can’t pinpoint a cause or think of a fix, they try to minimize the issue by claiming it’s within specifications.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello,
i have about 15000 miles on my 2017 Premium Plus with Manual Transmission. On about 10 occasions the car at under 2 miles an hour has actually shut off requiring me to press the Start Engine Stop button (note not the start/stop system button)
A message in the instrument cluster said "Automatic start/stop disabled". On one occasion it was very scary as I was drifting into an intersection and to my surprise no power when pressing the accelerator.
With a manual transmission the Auto-Off should not be triggered unless you put the gear in neutral and let up the clutch pedal. I assume while "drifting" at 2mph you had the clutch pedal depressed? Something to check could be that the clutch pedal sensor works consistently. If it happens also with the S/S disabled, it sounds more related to engine control. The message could indicate that a system failure triggered AFTER that the Auto-Off turned off the engine, but that should only happen if you had it in neutral and the clutch pedal was up.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
With a manual transmission the Auto-Off should not be triggered unless you put the gear in neutral and let up the clutch pedal. I assume while "drifting" at 2mph you had the clutch pedal depressed? Something to check could be that the clutch pedal sensor works consistently. If it happens also with the S/S disabled, it sounds more related to engine control. The message could indicate that a system failure triggered AFTER that the Auto-Off turned off the engine, but that should only happen if you had it in neutral and the clutch pedal was up.
OP wasn't very clear whether he was coasting in neutral when that happened. If he was coasting in neutral with the clutch up then I can see that happen. My previous Bimmer did that too.

If he was in gear and going under 2mph the *symptoms* he described were exactly the same if he stalled the car instead. If the car stalled in gear he would have to press the engine start/stop button instead of just depressing the clutch. Not saying that was the case but like I said the symptoms would have been the same so I wonder how the OP knew he just didn't stall the car.

Last edited by IMYM; 03-26-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

I have been working with the dealer to address the problem and essentially was told that the owners manual discusses this very point. In fact on page 88 it is in discussed suggesting that this will occur when specific conditions are not met during a stop phase.
As I have not seen or heard of the problem and dealer has not seen the problem I am thinking the with so few manual transmissions sold it might be related.
Car is currently being serviced to see if anything can be determined

First I am curious if anyone has had the problem?
Second in my opinion this is an unacceptable "FEATURE" of the car.

Unless something is determined during my service which i doubt I am considering options with perhaps not keeping the car and putting the onus on Audi (certainly not at that point at the moment)

Any thoughts, comments etc would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
The only time I have had that is when I get out of the car with the engine still running to open some gates with the key in my pocket. maybe your issue is related to that system?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IMYM
...If the car stalled in gear he would have to press the engine start/stop button instead of just depressing the clutch. Not saying that was the case but like I said the symptoms would have been the same so I wonder how the OP knew he just didn't stall the car.
In my experience (not with B9) but other loaner Audi manuals (diesels that are easy to stall at taking off when not used to them) they restart by just depressing the clutch. But of course combined with an S/S system failure, which the failure message indicates could be the reason. I just assumed that it would be clear for one buying a manual Audi that it can not be driven in gear at 2mph.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 2018 premium plus with manual transmission, and what you are describing hasn't happened to me. Are you sure you didn't stall the motor by driving too slowly while in gear? If you do stall, pressing the clutch pedal down should cause the engine to restart without you having to press the Start Engine Stop button.

The only time I've experienced anything similar to what you describe is when I'm slowing down for a stop and I put the gearshift in neutral, release the clutch pedal and coast to a stop with my foot on the brake. In that situation, the engine may shut off before I've come to a complete stop, but it doesn't happen until the car is traveling very slowly. In any case, pushing the clutch pedal back down restarts the engine.

The only time I have to press the Start Engine Stop button is when I first start the car and when I park it. For all other situations, pressing the clutch pedal down will restart the engine. The start/stop system works much better with a manual transmission than it does in any automatic transmission with start/stop that I have driven, including the automatic B9 A4.

Last edited by SDakota; 03-26-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picking up Car today
dealer suggested I will take a drive with a mechanic and they will explain why and how it happens
will update the forum on my return
thanks so much for the comments thus far

Quick Reply: Automatic start/stop disabled