A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

AutoNation Extended Warranty? Or Geico MBI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoNation Extended Warranty? Or Geico MBI?

Hi guys,
I'm a new owner of an 2018 Audi A4. It's my first German car. I'm not too familiar with the reliability of German cars but was wondering your thoughts on whether an extended warranty is necessary. I know Audi includes the 4 year/ 50k coverage. The extended warranty from AutoNation would cover mechanical breakdown ($0 deductible) to 60k miles, including rental reimbursement, emergency roadside assistance, and key replacement benefit. I was quoted $1,946 USD. I've read mixed things about extended warranties but not much regarding it for Audis. It's been 2 weeks since I purchased the car, so I can still cancel for a full refund (I was naive and paid for the warranty at the time of my car purchase).
Additionally, I could opt for Geico's MBI, which covers 7 years /100k of mechanical breakdown. It would cost about $60 every six months, but I'd have to pay a $250 deductible for each claim.

Any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated, especially those more familiar with Audi's. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I opted for the MBI with Geico as I plan on keeping the vehicle for it's useful life. Your $2,000 extended warranty looks like it only adds 10k miles and a few other benefits beyond the manufacturer warranty. Do the math and I think you will lean towards the MBI in this comparison.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The AutoNation is a BIG waste of money. As Nash stated above, you're paying all that money for an additional 10K miles??? That's just insane.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
The AutoNation is a BIG waste of money. As Nash stated above, you're paying all that money for an additional 10K miles??? That's just insane.

I am the proverbial broken record regarding extended warranties - ESPECIALLY when first buying your car. I hate to say it and don't take the wrong way, but companies like AutoNation make their money on concerned but naive customers such s yourself.
Why would you think it's a good deal to pay almost 2k now for an additional 10k worth of protection 4 years down the road? And what happens if your car is stolen or totaled in 3 years? That prorated clock starts ticking. Every time I am in the dealer's office, the finance guy wants to see me. I tell him the same thing. I simply say, "Ok, but since the salesman just spent an hour telling me how wonderful and reliable my car is and coverage doesn't start until 4 years or 48k miles from now, if I sell, total or the car gets stolen, you will issue me a full non-prorated refund, right?" That ends the damn conversation as well it should.
I'll be brutally frank, as I got burned with buying and paying in full for an extended warranty years ago, getting 10 cents on the buck, 10 years later when that company went bankrupt,if you don't cancel and get your money back from this scam, you get what you deserve.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have the original Audi warranty in front of me, but it would seem sensible to make a chart of items covered by the OEM warranty and the aftermarket insurance and see what is covered by each. Does OEM cover (for 4 years) battery replacement, headlamps, belts and hoses, fuses, light bulbs, wheel alignment, rental car reimbursement, diagnostics? Do you imagine that any of those could fail between 1 and 4 years after purchase?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you guys. Looks like I know what to do. I'll cancel it and hopefully they don't give me a hard time. Seems like I'd be much better off with Geico.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You typically have 60-days from the date of purchase to cancel without penalty. Check your paperwork first before heading to the dealer. All termination clauses are stated on the back of the contract.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All non-manufacturer "extended warranties" are service contracts, not warranties, and not worth it.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by adgaudi1
Thank you guys. Looks like I know what to do. I'll cancel it and hopefully they don't give me a hard time. Seems like I'd be much better off with Geico.
Why don't you wait a while before getting Geico's policy? Again, you are covered for the first 4 years from Audi.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bob m
Why don't you wait a while before getting Geico's policy? Again, you are covered for the first 4 years from Audi.
I think you can only get it if the car is under fifteen months old or has less than 15k mi

Quick Reply: AutoNation Extended Warranty? Or Geico MBI?