A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just bit somebody's tail

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Just bit somebody's tail

Just bumped rear end of a Jeep this morning at ~10mph speed while morning sun glare blinded my eyes. Front grill, bumper and hood damaged. Still drive-able. Surprisingly, Audi-sense didn't engage at all.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures? Sometimes I get a warning in the dashboard when pre-sense is disabled due to too much sun shinning into the camera. Happens to my wife's Forester all the time.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
Just bumped rear end of a Jeep this morning at ~10mph speed while morning sun glare blinded my eyes. Front grill, bumper and hood damaged. Still drive-able. Surprisingly, Audi-sense didn't engage at all.
Man. That is the worst. Bloody thing doesn't work when it is supposed to and becomes overactive when it is not supposed to. Pitfalls of tech not being intelligent enough. I have a feeling I'm going to be roasted by many for this comment.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Man. That is the worst. Bloody thing doesn't work when it is supposed to and becomes overactive when it is not supposed to. Pitfalls of tech not being intelligent enough. I have a feeling I'm going to be roasted by many for this comment.
Not at all. It's called Driver Assistance for a reason, not Driver Replacement. Even Tesla has learned that their technology can kill if you rely too heavily on it. It cannot anticipate every possible scenario.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I only got some roast chicken to share with you
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the audi-sense have a minimum speed limit. 10MPH is pretty slow it might not even engage at that speed.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your car have ACC ? I mean radar detectors in front. Or will Audi sense only reply on cameras?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Not at all. It's called Driver Assistance for a reason, not Driver Replacement. Even Tesla has learned that their technology can kill if you rely too heavily on it. It cannot anticipate every possible scenario.
To the OP, sorry to hear about your accident. It really does stink, but at least no one was hurt and all is repairable.
To wdimagineer - agree 100% BUT I can understand VIPinLJ's comments and surprise - with all the tech, cameras and sensors and such not miss the car in front. Again, agreeing with you - Driver Assistance, not Driver Replacement, but still surprised nothing helped out, or maybe the car in front had to be moving, not stopped?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

...sun glare blinded my eyes.
Good chance that this also was the problem with the sensors, direct sunlight may affect them.

"Reflective objects such as guard rails or the
entrance to a tunnel, heavy rain and ice can
affect the function of the radar sensors and
the system's ability to detect a collision risk."
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Thank you all for the sympathy and comments! I never completely relied on the pre-sense for my daily driving. It's just one time in my 22 years since last minor accident (somebody else fault even then) and this new tech didn't helped me a bit. My Honda Pilot's Collision mitigation system has the microwave radar sensor beside camera and is much more proactive and precise (both good and bad though). Guess just front camera is not enough. Will look at the Prestige trim or equivalent whichever has radar sensor in the future ( or I don't need to worry as all cars will drive by themselves). You know what sucks most. I just did a complete paint correction and detailing over the weekend. Didn't even have the chance to take a photo of my perfect shiny shell. ��
Picture attached below. The front above the bumper caved in. Car is in a reputable body shop now. Guess what's my rental? Another B9 A4. Bare bone Premium though. A rep in Enterprise Rent-A-Car talked me into upgrade from a Chevrolet Cruze (my insurance coverage) to an A4. Time to experience the infamous Premium Sound system.

Quick Reply: Just bit somebody's tail