A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B&O Sound System Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel that you can make it sound good for the front, or you can make it sound good for the backseat, but not quite both. The front speakers are more treble-heavy while the rear ones are more treble-light. It would be be awesome if we could adjust the bass and treble individually for front and rear.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
I feel that you can make it sound good for the front, or you can make it sound good for the backseat, but not quite both. The front speakers are more treble-heavy while the rear ones are more treble-light. It would be be awesome if we could adjust the bass and treble individually for front and rear.
i would agree with this.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by legacystar
What software version do you have ?
It's 0918.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O Sound System Sucks

I just leased an A5 Sportback Prestige with the B&O system and already regret it. It sounds horrible. The highs are tinny and harsh. The midrange is nearly non-existent, and the bass is boomy. Overall it is fatiguing to listen too. I’ve tried every possible adjustment that the MMI allows but nothing can make it better.

I’m going to contact the dealer in hopes that there is a software update that fixes this. If not I’ll regret leasing this car for the next 36 months!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jtodd313
I just leased an A5 Sportback Prestige with the B&O system and already regret it. It sounds horrible. The highs are tinny and harsh. The midrange is nearly non-existent, and the bass is boomy. Overall it is fatiguing to listen too. I’ve tried every possible adjustment that the MMI allows but nothing can make it better.

I’m going to contact the dealer in hopes that there is a software update that fixes this. If not I’ll regret leasing this car for the next 36 months!
Honestly, I couldn't disagree more, this sound system is the best I've heard in a car. I think you need to turn down the 3d effect to 1/4 , set surround to low. I have my bass at 75% trble at 60ish. What kind of music are you playing ?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by legacystar
Honestly, I couldn't disagree more, this sound system is the best I've heard in a car. I think you need to turn down the 3d effect to 1/4 , set surround to low. I have my bass at 75% trble at 60ish. What kind of music are you playing ?

I agree, best I have heard so far and I have had 2 Q5's, and older Lexus RX and a Porsche Macan. I like music, used to have a fairly high end home system and I don't think I'm tone deaf yet. Now, of course there are better stock systems out there, but for someone to say their Audi B&O system is that bad that there are regrets leasing the car, sounds like there just may be a problem with his particular unit.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtodd313

I still agree 100%. I’ve had the car for about 5 months now and have tried very hard to like it but it is not near as good as the one I had in my 2002 Volvo S60. That car didn’t even have the top of the line system and it was better than the B&O on the Audi. Then I had a 2010 Volvo S40 with the base system, and in some ways that was also better. Earlier today I was thinking maybe there is a way to fix it somehow but it would probably be a huge project if it isn’t a software fix. Not even sure it would be possible to switch out the speakers.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the dealer look at the rear panel buzzing from the subwoofer. Just took the car home so I think it is better, but not perfect so we shall see if it is the 3rd-party Dynamat install next if it isn't improved enough. They got rid of an awful rattle in the passenger door though near the speaker housing.

I have turned up the treble to about 1pm, the bass to about 2pm and the subwoofer to about 3pm. I have 3D set to low so it at least uses the upper speaker and I think I have surround off or the lowest setting. Don't need too much digital processing of the music.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally think that the B&O system sounds great. I came from a Mazda with a Bose sound and all other Bose equipped Audi loaners that I’ve driven don’t sound as good as the B&O system in my A4. I am eager to drive the car to and from work every day so I can enjoy the system.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, Just bought a 2018 Q7 and can't agree more! The Bose system sucks! Did you do anything to fix it?

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks