A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B&O Sound System Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree.

I tried to improve the sound by adding a Focal high end Sub but because the signal is crap from the MMI it just added extra bass that was not covering the full spectrum like Focal normally does.

I have now got another car and sold that one as the hype of B&O allowed my to get some of my money back.

I am in the process of installing a full complete after market system.

This consists of an Audison Bit 10 D, Focal Utopia for the front, & Focal K2 Power for the rear.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mash Boss
I've been listening more and playing around with the settings more and I'm basically content with it now.

I think the system does well when the volume is cranked up.

I have treble and bass at 1 and 2 o'clock, sub-woofer maxed out, Focus All, Fader set so the line is just touching the back seats, Surround 1 or 2 clicks above zero, and 3D Low
I tried all scenarios as well to no avail.

Your best bet is to get an after market system installed. I used to do installations a long time ago so now this is a project in my spear time.

I have the Audison Bit 10 D and I am currently in the process of getting the tuning completed so that it produces the best signal 1st. Once that is completed, I expect to hear major differences with the sound quality.

Please note that my previous Audi had an after market install that was so nice and did not give me ear ache when the volume was turned up. Unlike the B&O system in the Audi I just sold.

So now with my 3rd Audi I plan to do the same as I done with my 1st Audi.

B&O sucks in the Audi A3 from 2013 IMHO

I will be summing the high frequency signal along with signal to the 6by5 inch speaker in the door and I am hoping that the Audison Bit Ten D will automatically produce a very nice clean signal.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jtodd313
I just leased an A5 Sportback Prestige with the B&O system and already regret it. It sounds horrible. The highs are tinny and harsh. The midrange is nearly non-existent, and the bass is boomy. Overall it is fatiguing to listen too. I’ve tried every possible adjustment that the MMI allows but nothing can make it better.

I’m going to contact the dealer in hopes that there is a software update that fixes this. If not I’ll regret leasing this car for the next 36 months!
No software can fix this. Better quality speakers will go a long way and your listening experiences will be much better. Different cars from different years have different speakers. However, they are all still labelled as B&O ...This has been my findings ....
Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I rarely turn my sound up loud enough to hear any rattling from the bass - but in my car I've noticed terrible buzzing noises with higher frequency sounds even at moderate to low volumes. It is most noticeable in piano music - I guess since the notes are more sudden. I hear it from what I think is the center speaker on the dash and the top speakers on the doors. Anyone else hear this noise and know how to solve?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My front speaker absolutely resonates / buzzes on certain notes and frequencies. My rear of the car also rattles pretty noticeably from the bass. I usually get no louder than 50% volume (which is pretty loud) but I'm shocked that this high-end (high priced) system is less reliable when it comes to rattles and resonance than my stock system I had in a totally non-upgraded audio setup in a subaru.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So im not the only one annoying my dealership about this problem. They keep saying "we did a software update to fix it" My *** u did, they just turn down the bass lol.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Scott
I rarely turn my sound up loud enough to hear any rattling from the bass - but in my car I've noticed terrible buzzing noises with higher frequency sounds even at moderate to low volumes. It is most noticeable in piano music - I guess since the notes are more sudden. I hear it from what I think is the center speaker on the dash and the top speakers on the doors. Anyone else hear this noise and know how to solve?
I think I'm getting this. I don't listen to piano music but last week I played a podcast in the car (for the first time ever LOL) which had male talkers recorded with (what I thought was) a "natural" sound. ("natural" meaning the voices sounded as if you were in a room with them, and not the too-close-mic'd male voice sound of radio DJ's that actuates subwoofers.) Anyway, I heard much buzzing, exactly as you describe, from the front center and maybe the doors and/or pillars. As for a solution I can only state the obvious - open things up and add damping material in the needed places.

It's an absolute shame Audi was too damn cheap to spec that as part of the cars' manufacture.

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 12-27-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have a magic bullet to fix all of the buzzing, but I did finally figure out some settings that make the system sound reasonably good.

The problem that I have had with the system is that the sound from the front is way too loud compared to the rear if the focus is set to A'll' or 'Front'. And the sound in the front is way too quiet if the focus is set to 'Rear'. At first I tried to overcome this by setting the focus to 'All' with the fader set toward the rear, but I never could get a decent sound with this approach. It turns out that the key is to set the focus to the 'Rear', and then use the fader to increase sound coming from the front. With this setting the system finally has a balanced sound coming from the front and rear speakers.

Here are the settings that I have arrived at:

Sound bias: Rear
Fader: Biased on the display screen about 1/8" toward the front
Treble: Somewhere around 12 or 2 o'clock
Bass: 3 o'clock
Sub: 3 o'clock
Surround: 12 o'clock
3D sound: Medium
Old 12-26-2018, 10:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Professional audio engineer opinion*** I would highly recommend turning the INPUT (glad I found this setting) level down in the menu, then using the volume for loudness gain. My input level was turned all the way up and I was like really?! I thought this was going to be a great system, SIGNIFICANT improvement after adjustment to input at around 11/12 o clock. Otherwise you will encounter digital distortion and degrade your audio signal. Bluetooth might also degrade audio quality as well idk what codec? this system uses but there are various levels.

Proper gain staging is key- Phone volume high, Input level low/mid level, then push the system's amplifier for volume.

I will also note that depending what your streaming from ie. Spotify, YouTube is usually compressed mp3 audio at 256 kbps (low quality) and 360 if you have premium which is better. If you want the best audio quality download music on to some SD cards using WAV files.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As far as settings go, it really depends on what kind of music you are listening to:

For example- Heavy electronic music like techno I would keep the 3D effect at low and turn up surround to about 9/10 o'clock as it's heavy drums and low end get warped by these enhancements.

However music that is more subtle like acoustic stuff or light and airy instrumentation can benefit from the high 3d effects as it adds nice color and space to the sound. Play around with surround here to suit your tastes.

Rap or pop music that is very vocal centered I've found works well at low or middle 3d effect and low surround settings, it really brings the vocals up front.

Rock music I've found turning off the 3d effect and adding some low to mid surround setting works well for pulling the stringed bass and drums to a more consistent tone while keeping some space for the guitars and vocals.

I tend to keep my Treble at around 10-12 and Bass around 9-12 but never really leaving that range. Always keeping my focus balanced and my face one notch to the rear.

Most of the tinkering comes with special effects menu, and depending on the track you can get some really good enhancements with these options. How loud you listen to music can also mess with the intensity of these setting so that's something to consider!

Happy listening!! 😋

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks