Originally Posted by bigk200
Sound bias: Rear
Fader: Biased on the display screen about 1/8" toward the front
Treble: Somewhere around 12 or 2 o'clock
Bass: 3 o'clock
Sub: 3 o'clock
Surround: 12 o'clock
3D sound: Medium
I tried your settings out of curiosity and... WOW! My impression of those settings is this: No soundstage. The music's original soundstage is replaced with 360 degrees of completely diffuse, midrange ambiance. I thought *I* liked diffuse sound in the car but this waaaayyyy too much for me. I also found that the bass rather vanishes in that midrange hyper-presence. That said, everyone has their own preferences of course! (Not to mention, we could be listening to completely different types of music.)

Here's what I've settled on:
Sound bias: All
Fader: Center (both F-R and L-R)
Surround: off. Off. OFF.
3D sound: Low. (To my ears, I find it sounds more "3D" on Low than Medium, curiously. And High is over the top for me.)
Treble: 1 or 2 clicks below 12 o'clock.
Bass and Sub: both about 2 o'clock most of the time. But depending on the music, it may be 12:00 for one or both (e.g. any of the dance/techno channels on SXM). Or for stuff with weakly recorded bass (eg 80's rock) I'll bump one or both higher depending on whether the bass is lacking just the bottom octaves (50Hz and down), or the whole bass range is weak.

Oh yeah, and then there some crazy bad recordings (Metallica And Justice For All comes to mind) where I just turn the sub down. Waaay down because the bass on that album is such a mess.

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 12-27-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
I tried your settings out of curiosity and... WOW! My impression of those settings is this: No soundstage. The music's original soundstage is replaced with 360 degrees of completely diffuse, midrange ambiance. I thought *I* liked diffuse sound in the car but this waaaayyyy too much for me. I also found that the bass rather vanishes in that midrange hyper-presence. That said, everyone has their own preferences of course! (Not to mention, we could be listening to completely different types of music.)

Here's what I've settled on:
Sound bias: All
Fader: Center (both F-R and L-R)
Surround: off. Off. OFF.
3D sound: Low. (To my ears, I find it sounds more "3D" on Low than Medium, curiously. And High is over the top for me.)
Treble: 1 or 2 clicks below 12 o'clock.
Bass and Sub: both about 2 o'clock most of the time. But depending on the music, it may be 12:00 for one or both (e.g. any of the dance/techno channels on SXM). Or for stuff with weakly recorded bass (eg 80's rock) I'll bump one or both higher depending on whether the bass is lacking just the bottom octaves (50Hz and down), or the whole bass range is weak.

Oh yeah, and then there some crazy bad recordings (Metallica And Justice For All comes to mind) where I just turn the sub down. Waaay down because the bass on that album is such a mess.
Getting rid of the wall of sound ("soundstage") only coming from the front speakers was the goal of the settings that I posted. For anyone who prefers 360 degrees of sound vs. a front biased "soundstage", then these settings are worth trying. Also, in regard to the bass and sub, I had to increase those settings to 3 o'clock to offsets the increase in mid-range.

BTW: The other day I had put a CD in the glove box player, and I also had the exact same WAV files on a USB stick. I made sure that the sound settings were the same for CD and USB inputs, and then proceeded to switch back and forth between the same song. For some reason, sound quality from the CD player is noticeably better compared to the same files being input via the USB port. I'm not sure why they would sound different.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree B&O sound system problem

Originally Posted by bk6000
Does anyone agree with me that the upgraded B&O sound system sucks? I'm wondering if it is just a licensing deal where Audi gets to put the "Bang and Olufsen" name on the sound system when they aren't really anything special.

Both of my older Volvos (S60 and S40) had better sound systems and weren't even the upgraded versions. Just drove a 2018 Mazda 3 rental that also had a better sound system.

My issues with it are that just about every speaker buzzes/rattles and lacks proper bass. Turning up the subwoofer and bass a little bit improves the bass but also just amplifies the buzzing and rattling. I know Audi sometimes fixes these issues by adding material around the speakers, but I doubt I would be able to complain about the entire system and see if they can stop the rattling on every door panel.

It just lacks a feeling of fullness and tightness in the sound. I've thought about installing a subwoofer in the trunk which I've heard would help quite a bit, but I would still be annoyed by all the door panel noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?
i agree the system is terrible and the buzz on such an expensive car is terrible. I have wanted to complain when I bring it in for service but I forgot after my first 10k. Can they fix it?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Englert

i agree the system is terrible and the buzz on such an expensive car is terrible. I have wanted to complain when I bring it in for service but I forgot after my first 10k. Can they fix it?
I’m getting ready to order my car. Thinking of passing on the B&O after reading this extensive thread. Listening to a mix lot of NPR and some music that is not so bass heavy makes me think that I will not miss this and save the $950 since it’s a stand-alone option now in a premium plus. . Did anyone compare the stock system to B&O in the B9 when making the decision on a car? Or was it already packaged in with the car you wanted for other reasons? Is the stock system the Bose system? That was what was on my B7 A4 and my Q3. Seems to work great and I had no complaints.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Odis

I’m getting ready to order my car. Thinking of passing on the B&O after reading this extensive thread. Listening to a mix lot of NPR and some music that is not so bass heavy makes me think that I will not miss this and save the $950 since it’s a stand-alone option now in a premium plus. . Did anyone compare the stock system to B&O in the B9 when making the decision on a car? Or was it already packaged in with the car you wanted for other reasons? Is the stock system the Bose system? That was what was on my B7 A4 and my Q3. Seems to work great and I had no complaints.
It's a Bang & Olufsen system. I would certainly urge you to get it. After driving around in a loaner 2018 A5 SB and 2019 Q5 for 2 weeks without the upgraded system, I've come to appreciate that option.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The thing is everyone universally hates the Bose system, do you really want to go there?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
It's a Bang & Olufsen system. I would certainly urge you to get it. After driving around in a loaner 2018 A5 SB and 2019 Q5 for 2 weeks without the upgraded system, I've come to appreciate that option.
Originally Posted by katzjamr
The thing is everyone universally hates the Bose system, do you really want to go there?
Thanks for the input. I was just thinking coming form the Bose system in a previous A4 and a Q3, as I didn't have any issues, I would be ok. I didn't know if the stock systemic the B9 is Bose or if it is something else Audi uses. They dropped B&O it from the premium plus package this year. But they added the navigation & virtual cockpit in the package. I guess that is part of the tradeoff.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the input. I was just thinking coming form the Bose system in a previous A4 and a Q3, as I didn't have any issues, I would be ok. I didn't know if the stock systemic the B9 is Bose or if it is something else Audi uses. They dropped B&O it from the premium plus package this year. But they added the navigation & virtual cockpit in the package. I guess that is part of the tradeoff.
The None B&O system is called Audi Premium Audio. It's not Bose. Basically some off-brand no name audio. People have more complain about that one.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Scott
I rarely turn my sound up loud enough to hear any rattling from the bass - but in my car I've noticed terrible buzzing noises with higher frequency sounds even at moderate to low volumes. It is most noticeable in piano music - I guess since the notes are more sudden. I hear it from what I think is the center speaker on the dash and the top speakers on the doors. Anyone else hear this noise and know how to solve?
I took my car to the dealership for the 10k mile service and while it was there I had them look at the buzzing issue. They reported that there was a TSB reported for this issue which required a software update (TSB 2052251/2). I've only had the car back for a few days, but I've yet to hear the buzzing, so maybe it fixed it? I'm still skeptical but I'll report back after I have a chance to put it through its paces.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The B&O sound system is pretty good. To me, that's pretty disappointing because B&O makes some of the best sounding equipment in the world.

Turns out the B&O car sound systems are actually owned by Samsung and aren't really associated with B&O.

And I am sick and tired of the metal trim on the woofers bending.

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks