A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B&O Sound System Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've been listening more and playing around with the settings more and I'm basically content with it now.

I think the system does well when the volume is cranked up.

I have treble and bass at 1 and 2 o'clock, subwoofer maxed out, Focus All, Fader set so the line is just touching the back seats, Surround 1 or 2 clicks above zero, and 3D Low
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it's great!

I just tweaked the settings and its perfect. The 3D surround is awesome.

Play around the settings and understand how to tweak them. If you have your bass at max and highs at max then of course it will sound garbage etc etc
Old 05-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just getting out of a Q5 Prem Plus with B&O, I did notice that the A4 system lacks some clarity, soundstage, and depth in comparison. I've fiddled with the settings but just can't quite get it there. Particularly annoyed that the fader doesn't really do anything except reduce the volume -- the rear speakers are tiny. But overall it's not terrible, just not totally outstanding.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by z_money
Just getting out of a Q5 Prem Plus with B&O, I did notice that the A4 system lacks some clarity, soundstage, and depth in comparison. I've fiddled with the settings but just can't quite get it there. Particularly annoyed that the fader doesn't really do anything except reduce the volume -- the rear speakers are tiny. But overall it's not terrible, just not totally outstanding.
I agree. The B&O in my SQ5 sounds slightly better than in my A4 which is much better than the Bose in my A7.

OT - I had rented a Suburban for a Canadian trip and the Bose in that sounded so much better than the Bose in my A7.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
Does anyone agree with me that the upgraded B&O sound system sucks? I'm wondering if it is just a licensing deal where Audi gets to put the "Bang and Olufsen" name on the sound system when they aren't really anything special.

Both of my older Volvos (S60 and S40) had better sound systems and weren't even the upgraded versions. Just drove a 2018 Mazda 3 rental that also had a better sound system.

My issues with it are that just about every speaker buzzes/rattles and lacks proper bass. Turning up the subwoofer and bass a little bit improves the bass but also just amplifies the buzzing and rattling. I know Audi sometimes fixes these issues by adding material around the speakers, but I doubt I would be able to complain about the entire system and see if they can stop the rattling on every door panel.

It just lacks a feeling of fullness and tightness in the sound. I've thought about installing a subwoofer in the trunk which I've heard would help quite a bit, but I would still be annoyed by all the door panel noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?
I have experienced no rattles to date at moderately high volumes, so perhaps you are dealing with defective factory install? I think this system is on par with other systems at this price segment. I think it sounds better than the A6 Bose for sure, and is par with say the Acura ELS systems. I agree with others here that the 3D EFFECT needs to be turned on (I prefer low) to activate all the speakers in the A pillar. Without doing this the sound stage is too far forward and feels like the sound is buried deep in the dashboard. I turn the SURROUND effect off because I do feel like this causes some artifacts and I don't really need my music to sound like it's coming from all directions.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My limited impressions as a perspective new A4 buyer. Audi/B&O seems to have placed a huge premium on volume at the trade off, perhaps, of sound quality. It plays without distortion very loudly and if one likes that kind of thing that would be a big plus. However if you are more of an audiophile the sound reproduction may be lacking. IMHO the system lacks a certain warmth and is too forward in it's presentation and sounds a bit brittle to me.

That being said speakers take some time to break in (48ish hours at medium volume) so what I was hearing may not be what one experiences longer term.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So i discovered something interesting with a recent loaner, the 2018 model has a separate control to adjust sub woofer, but the 2017 does not. as far as i can tell they both have the exact same sound system, and same woofer in the deck, but he 2018 has way more bass because you can adjust the sub separate. anyone have any ideas on how to alter the older models so we can have sub woofer control?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MY2017 and I have a separate subwoofer control. I think it has to do with the MMI firmware version but I imagine it does make a difference in the overall sound if you have one to tweak or not.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Versprechen
I have a MY2017 and I have a separate subwoofer control. I think it has to do with the MMI firmware version but I imagine it does make a difference in the overall sound if you have one to tweak or not.
What software version do you have ?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find the B&O system quite good....I can only compare the sound quality to a Lexus NX and a Honda Civic.
Now that it's summer I just open the 2 front windows and turn up my music really loud (yes i'm one of those guys, I love how the bass/subwoofer feels when it's turnt up)
Got to show it off

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks