A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B&O Sound System Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of this discusson makes me wonder if similar issues like this occur on the higher end Audis like the A5, A6, A7, etc... Or do they pay closer attention to reducing rattles, insulating the doors, etc.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
All of this discusson makes me wonder if similar issues like this occur on the higher end Audis like the A5, A6, A7, etc... Or do they pay closer attention to reducing rattles, insulating the doors, etc.
I wouldn't classify the A5 as higher end but I think it's a far question wrt the 6 &7.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it does considering many share the same components, parts, platforms, etc.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandelay
The audio source is the most important variable of the B&O sound system quality. I thought it sucked too... but then i just played a CD for the first time in about three years. It sounds really, really good. Satellite sucks really bad, but i've determined that any music streaming from my phone through USB also sucks and even HD radio doesn't sound so good. I think i'll need to start investing in FLAC or other lossless files to play through USB.
No matter how young I was or how old I get, I keep re-learning that it all starts with the source. Each subsequent step, active element, passive element or connection can only degrade things further. The best any subsequent step can do is no damage. I am just wondering how many of the comments are based on listening to ripped data source or the CD itself? Also, has any one swapped speakers out for a better driver?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Out of curiosity I dug out a test tone cd and gave it a spin in the car. I didn't notice any buzzing from the doors (time will tell whether that changes...) but there was a good amount from the rear shelf, especially with the 50 & 63 Hz tone. Disappointing but I guess I shouldnt be surprised. Oh dam I really dont want to start taking apart this car's interior! I wonder if I could hire a stereo shop to install strategic sound deadening...

Edit: I used to have a pair of 8" JL Microsubs (the half-cylinder box ones, in case anyone remembers mid-90's speakers) in the foot space behind the front seats of my Sentra. I would love to replace the A4's rear shelf sub with those now (or even just one, say behind the driver's seat)! Hmmmm....

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 10-22-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way about taking mine apart. I have a bad record of breaking clips, stripping screws, and not being able to put things back the way they were before. Finding a place that specializes in removing rattles and proper car audio acoustics would be fantastic but likely expensive as well.

The Audi dealer probably just doesn’t care enough or pay much attention to detail in order to properly address the issues.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder if the woofers in the doors are high-passed. They *really* should be.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hipendiculadr
I'm not one to usually complain about a factory stereo system but the B&O was a bit kind of "Tinny" and sounded like the old Hard dome tweeters of the 2000s. I turned down the treble (my MMI software is old and I only have bass and treble, no subwoofer gain) and it was better. But one day I was messing with the extra sound settings and was trying all the different combinations. I was stunned at how much better the system sounded when I put the "Focus" to the rear setting and then re-adjusted my treble back to flat or middle. I also think I put my 3d sound towards the lower half of the setting and now I think the B&O system sounds fantastic.

In the manual it says, something like, if you put the focus to the rears, it won't play music out of the front speaker or something like that but trust me it still uses all the speakers.

Maybe its just my old ears and my even older MMI software but I seriously am loving the B&O system and for what its worth, I stuffed a bit of poly fill around the sub in the rear shelf and that helped clean up the lower bass.. now if only I had a subwoofer control..

Ken

P.s. Audi has my car right now as EMD auto found a leaking rear shock when they were doing a spring install, so they gave me a 2016 A3 as a loaner. Either the B9 is super super quiet or this A3 just sucks. Its very loud and the stock sub on the base 2016 A3 sucks ***** compared to the B9. Man I can't wait to get my car back.
So just today I tried that focus toward the back and indeed it sounded way better - thanks for that tip.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hipendiculadr
...I was stunned at how much better the system sounded when I put the "Focus" to the rear setting and then re-adjusted my treble back to flat or middle. I also think I put my 3d sound towards the lower half of the setting and now I think the B&O system sounds fantastic.
Originally Posted by redlight30
So just today I tried that focus toward the back and indeed it sounded way better - thanks for that tip.
I guess this shows me just how subjective sound quality is! After reading these posts I tried the same experiment. IMO the system sounds terrible in the driver's seat wth the Focus set Rear. What I hear is, the midrange gets almost completely pulled to the rear while just a bit of treble remains in front. Basically it's like the front door mids get cut but the pillar tweeters keep firing at a much lower level. It's all wrong to my ears but if it works for you guys then thats what matters. Different strokes...
Old 10-24-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I decided to play test tones in the car again tonight. I wanted to see if I could tell how low (in frequency) the door speakers go and how how high the sub plays. To test the door speakers I turned the sub level all the way down to isolate the door speakers. For the sub, I raised and lowered the sub level quickly as tones were playing. If the overall level changed as I varied the sub level, that indicated that the sub was contributing at that frequency. It was all earballed, but still interesting, to me at least. I found the door speakers are good to down to 80Hz then decline. There's some output at 63Hz and very little at 50Hz. Whether they're high-passed or that's the natural roll-off.. who knows. The sub appears to contribute up to 80-100 Hz. Above that, I noticed no change as I varied the sub level. And the other thing I noticed is... DOOR VIBRATION. Like everyone else has been saying. Arghh. The front doors buzz like crazy at 80Hz. If I press outward on the door handles the buzz stops (also as mentioned previously I think). Basic foam damping material is not expensive Audi.

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks