A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Backup Camera Sometimes Doesn't Come On

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Sometimes Doesn't Come On

Does anyone else have an issue where sometimes the backup camera doesn't come on when putting the car into reverse? I have this happen occasionally and can't figure out why or when but it seems just random.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steelersmb
Does anyone else have an issue where sometimes the backup camera doesn't come on when putting the car into reverse? I have this happen occasionally and can't figure out why or when but it seems just random.

I had a loaner A4-B9 when I had my A4 in for maintenance and the recall. The loaner A4 had the same issue where about 50% of the time the backup camera would not come on.

I haven't had this issue with my A4
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Intermittent Reverse Camera Issue

Originally Posted by steelersmb
I have this issue about 50% of the time when placing my car in reverse - no camera, just a note on the MMI about wanting to restore a connection to the phone or sometimes nothing at all. The dealer can not find any issues or faults in the system and tells me they can investigate further - sort of sad that a $50k car has issues with such a simple system that other manufacturer's have down pat - my 2008 TL never had an issue when putting the car in reverse! Anyone know of any TSB's?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

This happens to me every once in a blue moon, including just yesterday as a matter of fact. The screens (both main camera and top view render) were just solid black where the camera images would normally be. I even toggled the parking system with the center console button but it didn't help. Worked fine the next time I started the car.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
This happens to me every once in a blue moon, including just yesterday as a matter of fact. The screens (both main camera and top view render) were just solid black where the camera images would normally be. I even toggled the parking system with the center console button but it didn't help. Worked fine the next time I started the car.
Same here - black screen, once I came to dealer its started to work by itself - I was really upset
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have this problem now occasionally. I never once had the problem before the MMI was updated from 0081 to 0118 so I am guessing it is a software bug. The update didn’t even solve the carplay problem it was meant to so I wound up worse off. Hopefully there is a TSB soon addressing both.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issue
Old 04-12-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had the same problem with my 2014 A4. The camera went out about the same time as a backup bulb. Took it in for service, the wiring harness appeared brittle so they replaced it. My car sat for two weeks until I took it out for a drive, camera didn’t work. I read elsewhere it might mean the battery is low, so I drove for 30 minutes,. Parked in my drive and the camera was working. Worked fine a few hours later , then flickered and went out.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happens once a couple years ago. Rebooted the MMI and hasn't happened since.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Common problem. Required 5 trips to the dealer to get it fixed. Loaner car A5 had the same problem. I think my car finally needed a new part and reprogramming. There is a TSB to the dealer regarding this problem that may or may not resolve your issue. Repeatedly told that it was either fixed - wasn't the first two times - or that they could not duplicate this intermittent problem Had to take pictures of the dash to force them to fix it - they finally did - so, they know how.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Sometimes Doesn't Come On