A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Bang and Olufsen Satisfaction Poll. How Do You Like It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
I have an A4 Allroad and agree that I feel like I have to crank it up past half way just to hear it where it feels loud enough.

I was asking what is different between the Q5/SQ5 system, it can't just be spacial. Is it bigger amp, bigger sub, better mid and high speakers?
Really? In the A4, I can just about crank it to 50% and it is very loud (feels almost like 75% on the A7). Same with the SQ5. About 50% and it’s loud. I’m not sure what the difference in the speaker is between the A4 and SQ5. I think it has more to do with the cabin size.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Really? In the A4, I can just about crank it to 50% and it is very loud (feels almost like 75% on the A7). Same with the SQ5. About 50% and it’s loud. I’m not sure what the difference in the speaker is between the A4 and SQ5. I think it has more to do with the cabin size.
I think the A4 Allroad is probably closer to S/Q5 cabin size wise than it is the A4.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
I think the A4 Allroad is probably closer to S/Q5 cabin size wise than it is the A4.
True. I wasn’t thinking of the huge trunk space.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
True. I wasn’t thinking of the huge trunk space.
My subwoofer is turned almost all the way up, even so to get some decent bass I gotta turn it up the volume pretty loud.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

The ideal solution is to remove the factory sub, add an aftermarket sub & amplifier in the trunk, and then turn the bass way down for the rest of the system. Crystal clear sound at higher-than-comfortable listening volume when the B&O speakers aren't trying to produce all of the bass notes.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by volcomic
The ideal solution is to remove the factory sub, add an aftermarket sub & amplifier in the trunk, and then turn the bass way down for the rest of the system. Crystal clear sound at higher-than-comfortable listening volume when the B&O speakers aren't trying to produce all of the bass notes.
Yes!! To get good bass out of the sub I have to turn up the sub and the bass, which is okay until you turn up the volume. Then the mids and highs are producing way to much bass for their intented use and listening quality goes down. You really don't want any bass coming from those speakers, just the sub.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

It more than works for me. My 2017 A4 had the basic system and the rear deck rattled also the B&O is 1000 times better so I'm happy.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissatisfied with B&O in my 2018 A4 (B9)

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my disappointment. I agree with some other’s comments about the mids seeming washed out and weak bass. I’m coming from a 2016 Jeep SRT, which had a 19 speaker Harmon Kardon system. It sounded SO much better than the Audi A4’s. I miss it!

So, I went to a local shop to ask their opinion. They suggested keeping the B&O speakers except for the sub. Their recommendation is to bypass the factory amp with a Nav-TV Zen-V, and then add an Alpine PDX-V9 amp and an Alpine PXE-0850S sound processor. They suggested an Alpine Type-R 10” sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure (I don’t want a box in the trunk). Does anyone have any experience upgrading their system this way, by keeping most of the B&O speakers? It seems like everywhere I see on the internet talks about replacing the speakers first, rather than bypassing the factory amp & associated processing.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BPerry
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my disappointment. I agree with some other’s comments about the mids seeming washed out and weak bass. I’m coming from a 2016 Jeep SRT, which had a 19 speaker Harmon Kardon system. It sounded SO much better than the Audi A4’s. I miss it!

So, I went to a local shop to ask their opinion. They suggested keeping the B&O speakers except for the sub. Their recommendation is to bypass the factory amp with a Nav-TV Zen-V, and then add an Alpine PDX-V9 amp and an Alpine PXE-0850S sound processor. They suggested an Alpine Type-R 10” sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure (I don’t want a box in the trunk). Does anyone have any experience upgrading their system this way, by keeping most of the B&O speakers? It seems like everywhere I see on the internet talks about replacing the speakers first, rather than bypassing the factory amp & associated processing.
My car is a lease so changing the speakers is not an option for me. I'm not an audiophile so I'm not looking for every perfect ting from a tweeter or the perfect bass tone from the sub.
I do agree the rattles from the sub on the rear deck should not occur and Audi could have done a better job there.

So if I were to keep the car I would dynamat it for sure. Right now I just adjust the bass levels so it doesn't rattle. Otherwise the bass and overall sound of the system is more than ok for me.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Another thing to point out is that the Source has a significant role to play. Just got a free XM radio trial again and WOW. What a difference between XM and traditional radio. Pandora radio through cellular can’t compare either. The sound quality just seems to come through so much clearer through the sat.

Quick Reply: Bang and Olufsen Satisfaction Poll. How Do You Like It?