A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Before & After Ceramic coating pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I'd have an authorized shop do the work. I was wondering about driving the car home in cold weather and putting it in a relatively cold garage during the curing time. After giving it some thought I don't think I'd do anything until spring.

Well, I would ask the shop about exact curing time. But I would agree with holding off for now and getting it done in the spring. I am assuming that you have some sort of wax on there for some protection in these snowy months.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Well, I would ask the shop about exact curing time. But I would agree with holding off for now and getting it done in the spring. I am assuming that you have some sort of wax on there for some protection in these snowy months.
Yes I have protection for the winter months. I'm (very) particular about my cars and always take good care of them. As I've gotten older I still want the "look" but with less effort.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I have protection for the winter months. I'm (very) particular about my cars and always take good care of them. As I've gotten older I still want the "look" but with less effort.

Gotcha Bob. Same here. I want the look with less effort too, but it seems as I get older, I'm more fussy and have been bitten by that detailer's OCD thing. Sometimes I just enjoy doing the detailing - cleaning inside and out - top to bottom, reveling in the car's pristine condition, but other times I wish that I could just ignore pollen/dust in the spring, smudges from everyone opening and closing the doors using everything but the handles, a bit of dirt in the windshield and some crumbs on the seats and just enjoy the car!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Gotcha Bob. Same here. I want the look with less effort too, but it seems as I get older, I'm more fussy and have been bitten by that detailer's OCD thing. Sometimes I just enjoy doing the detailing - cleaning inside and out - top to bottom, reveling in the car's pristine condition, but other times I wish that I could just ignore pollen/dust in the spring, smudges from everyone opening and closing the doors using everything but the handles, a bit of dirt in the windshield and some crumbs on the seats and just enjoy the car!
Funny that you should mention this. Since I retired, I've become even more particular about detailing the cars and enjoy keeping the cars looking like I want them too. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts, but I enjoy it and get some fresh air and exercise in the process.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny that you should mention this. Since I retired, I've become even more particular about detailing the cars and enjoy keeping the cars looking like I want them too. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts, but I enjoy it and get some fresh air and exercise in the process.
Well, I'm still working 2 jobs - and I (usually) find the time to keep the car looking good. And yes, neighbors think I'm crazy.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film and ceramic coating question

I ordered a 2018 A4 MT back in October and am (impatiently) awaiting its arrival to port. As I wait, I've begun some preliminary research on protective film and ceramic coating (I currently do not have either on my 11 year old Civic).

Question:
Is $2,000 a fair price for XPEL for the full front? Local installer (central coast of California) has quoted $2,000 which includes:

Front Bumper
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Side Mirrors
Headlights

Another $700 for the rear bumper.

I was specific and mentioned that I didn't want to see any lines at all, thus the full hood, etc.

Also, $1,500 for the silver exterior ceramic pro (5-yr warranty). Gold ceramic + interior were of course more, but after the $2K for the front film, need to be mindful of the expense.

Does this seem like a fair price? I'm considering having it done at the dealership so I can finance, but I haven't gotten pricing yet. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crrlygrrl
I ordered a 2018 A4 MT back in October and am (impatiently) awaiting its arrival to port. As I wait, I've begun some preliminary research on protective film and ceramic coating (I currently do not have either on my 11 year old Civic).

Question:
Is $2,000 a fair price for XPEL for the full front? Local installer (central coast of California) has quoted $2,000 which includes:

Front Bumper
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Side Mirrors
Headlights

I was specific and mentioned that I didn't want to see any lines at all, thus the full hood, etc.

Also, $1,500 for the silver exterior ceramic pro (5-yr warranty). Gold ceramic + interior were of course more, but after the $2K for the front film, need to be mindful of the expense.

Does this seem like a fair price? I'm considering having it done at the dealership so I can finance, but I haven't gotten pricing yet. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Not a fair price at all...actually a big rip off. I got the same and was under $1000 (without rear bumper)...not going through the dealership and direct with the installer. You may want to consider doing your own ceramic...cost me less than $200 for a kit that does 2 cars. I purchased Xpel as my film...very highly rated. At most...based on geography...maybe $1200 but not much more than that. Maybe it's that CA pricing where everything is a rip-off and taxes are crazy.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crrlygrrl

Question:

Front Bumper
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Side Mirrors
Headlights

Thanks in advance!
Fair price if they are doing high-quality work... but not for xpel. There are several better options out there.

The guy above me that says xpel is "very highly rated" gave me a bit of a chuckle. When you make comments like that any other advice you give is suspect. Beware... forums are filled with bad information.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
Fair price if they are doing high-quality work... but not for xpel. There are several better options out there.

The guy above me that says xpel is "very highly rated" gave me a bit of a chuckle. When you make comments like that any other advice you give is suspect. Beware... forums are filled with bad information.
Not sure what you're talking about as Xpel is an excellent product and I know several professionals that have been using it for many years and I have had it on multiple cars with great success and wore well and did not discolor. There will always be someone who says something is better...your note above gave me a chuckle too as you are calling my advise "suspect". Not posting bad information...dealers in my area are installing 3M, Xpel and Llumar for what I stated above so, to me, in my market, that price is ridiculously high.

What do you recommend and do you honestly feel that $2000 for the film above without the rear bumper is fair? If so, maybe your advice is "suspect"