A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think we should be more specific about the use of the term "Pirelli P7". I gather you guys are talking about their all-season tire that Audi USA is fitting to many cars. The Pirelli P7 has been around for decades and has been fitted to many ultra high performance cars from the factory. It's a shame Pirelli has prostituted out this name plate because the high performance (summer) version is a great tire.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I think we should be more specific about the use of the term "Pirelli P7". I gather you guys are talking about their all-season tire that Audi USA is fitting to many cars. The Pirelli P7 has been around for decades and has been fitted to many ultra high performance cars from the factory. It's a shame Pirelli has prostituted out this name plate because the high performance (summer) version is a great tire.
Yes. The tyres that are stock on the A4 B9 sold in USA. I had no idea there was another P7 summer tyre that was great. Stupid on Pirellis part if that is so.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, they're using that name plate on a bunch of different tires. It's too bad.

My A4 was fitted with the P7 summer tire from the factory. Outstanding tire, I ended up fitting another set when the first was done. Life span is not good, but that's the price one must pay.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
What is so bad about the P7s? Customer and vendor (eg Tirerack) reviews are in general positive. Can you provide details of shortcomings?
Remember, there are at least three varieties of "P7." The highest-rated one is not what Audi installs.

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 02-22-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Remember, there are at least three varieties of "P7." The highest-rated one is not what Audi installs.
Good info. Thanks very much for posting that link.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Thanks, that is useful, but note that the 3 versions are all AS. The plain Cinturato P7 that is OE ion the car is a summer tire. Also there is no rating on Tire Rack for this version.
Can anyone compare the summer to the AS versions of P7 from experience?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don’t have any real complaints/issues with my 18 inch P7 Cinturato AS that came as OE on my Premium Plus. They have been smooth running and quiet, no balancing or vibration issues have come up. I just don’t do hard cornering in the wet and mine do well in wet acceleration from a standing stop. I’ve never had a flat and they hold their pressure well. The tread wear could be a little excessive.

But when time comes to replace them I won’t get Pirelli’s again, I will get Michelin’s for a couple reasons. I’ve replaced OE tires on two cars with Michelin’s and I was very happy with them both times and Michelin’s are just so highly rated in every class in all performance categories.

Now, I have to say that the two previous cars I owned prior to my A4 both were equipped with run flat tires. IMO, both sets of run flats were stiff, harsh and just plain horrible. I’ll never have them them on another car again and they did a lot to make the ride and handling of both cars miserable. The P7 Cinturatos are a big improvement over those tires.

Last edited by Dave W; 02-22-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by samsj
Which A/S 18'' tire is recommended for lesser road noise and comfortable ride (dont want to feel every bump on the road). the S4 B9 thread had varying opinions on road noise for the Michelin A/S 3+.
i live in Nor Cal, so not much rain here.
Do you go up to the Sierras in the winter? If not, then why bother with A/S tires in NorCal? Summer will be far superior in dry and wet for the temperatures we get in NorCal. My next tires will be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires. If I have to go the snow (which is rare), I'll just rent or borrow a car.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The OEM Pirellis have been serving me well. I'm coming from Mazda 3 so I can't speak for their comfort nor noise level, but I find their traction sufficient and I had no problem moving about in recent snowstorms here in northeast.

I had a great experience with DWS with my previous car too -- It got me and my FWD compact home even in a feet of snow! My only complaint was that they were prone to tramlining and they feel somewhat floaty at highway speed.

What would you guys recommend for comfort and noise level? Currently on Tirerack PureContact LS and General Altimax RT43 seem well-reviewed for comfort and noise level, with $45 difference per tire.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
Thanks, that is useful, but note that the 3 versions are all AS. The plain Cinturato P7 that is OE ion the car is a summer tire. Also there is no rating on Tire Rack for this version.
Can anyone compare the summer to the AS versions of P7 from experience?
Where are you located at? The 18s in my car are AS tyres. Not summer performance.

also, my P7 flat spots big time. Others probably don’t notice it cuz they drive their cars daily? I have four cars so I use my A4 once in 4 or 5 days. And it develops really bad flat spots while it stays parked. Vibrates bad for a few miles till the flat spots round off. If that makes sense. None of my other cars suffer this issue. Nor have any of my cars in India ever suffered this issue (where they’ve actually sat for months without flat spotting at all). I agree road noise isn’t bad and comfort is fine. But grip, for me, is horrible. Not when accelerating. But when taking turns at speeds that I’m comfortable with, in the wet, it easily loses grip.

Quick Reply: Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus