A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dmbtech
I don't want to change my tires seasonally(nowhere to store them, don't want to spend to get them changes constantly), is there any tire that is good for both winter and summer (aka All Season) that is better than the P7 stock? I live in northern NJ, we get a few decent size snow storms every winter, and a lot of ice. I started sliding/spinning from a small snowstorm that came yesterday(I should have taken the turn much slower) while turning into a lot (thank got no one/no cars were there)
Take a look at the Vredestein's Quatrac 5 Grand Touring All-Season on TireRack. The tire has zigzag sipes and meets the industry's severe snow service requirements. Although TireRack's own test showed no better snow traction than other threes which all don't have size for A4, I believe the sipes will provide sufficient traction for your region. I am looking at the tire besides the Michelin A/S3+. The noise level will be the final decision point for me.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my .02...Nokian zLine AS passenger max performance style. I put a set of the Nokian zLine SUVon my Q5 last October. It makes a little hum depending on the surface but it sure grips in the wet and light snow. I' m north of P-burg but on the Pennsy side of the river.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I found the Michellins to have much better handling than the OEM's. But who knows? Besides alignment, maybe tire pressures?
Thanks. Did you have Pirelli for your OEM or Conti? Are you running the same pressures recommended for OEM's on your michelin AS3+? I got the wheels aligned and it is tracking better but handling is still "softer" compared to OEM Pirellis. Overall still happy with the quieter ride, and will try to bump up the tire pressures a bit and see.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by traumeri
Thanks. Did you have Pirelli for your OEM or Conti? Are you running the same pressures recommended for OEM's on your michelin AS3+? I got the wheels aligned and it is tracking better but handling is still "softer" compared to OEM Pirellis. Overall still happy with the quieter ride, and will try to bump up the tire pressures a bit and see.
Yes, I had OEM Pirellis. I usually drive alone or with one other passenger but I set my tire pressures a little higher than for just me in the car, right in the middle between full load and no passengers. The handling is tighter.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
(I know you didnt ask me)The longevity of the tires is suspect. I had 5/10ths left and the grip had given up considerably. To the point where it would understeer completely mid turns. Any wet conditions and they slid all the time. Not even down to the wear bars, I thought I had another 5-10k miles on them, nope. It was like overnight they decided to stop giving me any grip in any conditions.
This is interesting. I am now at 52k on the Pirellis and could probably go to to 55k. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in handling. I do mostly highway driving and don't really push them, but when I do they are fine. I don't have anything to compare them against, but to me they have been great tires. I'm now looking for replacements due to an un-fixable nail hole in one of them and am trying to figure out what to get. The Michelin PS A/S 3+ is shown a lot of love in this thread, but it looks like their lifespan is pretty limited. I'm tempted just to get another set of the Pirellis.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
This is interesting. I am now at 52k on the Pirellis and could probably go to to 55k. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in handling. I do mostly highway driving and don't really push them, but when I do they are fine. I don't have anything to compare them against, but to me they have been great tires. I'm now looking for replacements due to an un-fixable nail hole in one of them and am trying to figure out what to get. The Michelin PS A/S 3+ is shown a lot of love in this thread, but it looks like their lifespan is pretty limited. I'm tempted just to get another set of the Pirellis.
Since I wrote that I have installed new tires on the car(separate thread on that). I think I have maybe near 5-7k on them and my front end is exhibiting the same characteristics that it showed with the Pirelli. I honestly think I have a steering pump issue at this point. Literally every time Im in a right turn and the left spoke gets to about 10 O'Clock, it feels like all the weight is gone and the steering wheel wants to just fall to the right creating massive understeer. The tires I have on the car have been absolutely great in all conditions so no complaints there. Only a couple months left on the lease so Im just going to bare with it, but its completely unnerving in turns.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I Might be the only one on here who re-buy the Pirelli, got them for $118 each cash, thanks to low sales. I like that they are quiet, provide good rim protection, give enough traction and tread life for my style of driving (44k miles on OEM with 4/32 left)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Thanks for the input on wear. In Feb/19 I was looking for advice to replace the OEM Conti xxx5P summer tires with Pirelli xxx PZero AS+ on this forum. I have since done so and am satisfied with the general handling and comfort but cannot yet judge wear rate. In short the Pirellis handle equally well for my purpose (v. good) and are noticeably quieter on rough pavement, the criticism against the Contis. The one minor disappointment is that the Ps are not as quiet as I had hoped.To help get useful advice I posted a fairly thorough bit on my expectations and my particular use circumstances on another forum. I only got 1 reply.
Both Bob M and Hyper have posted on this thread categorically absurd negative opinions about Pirellis (all?). Strong but not necessarily supported opinions seem to get a lot of responses.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
Thanks for the input on wear. In Feb/19 I was looking for advice to replace the OEM Conti xxx5P summer tires with Pirelli xxx PZero AS+ on this forum. I have since done so and am satisfied with the general handling and comfort but cannot yet judge wear rate. In short the Pirellis handle equally well for my purpose (v. good) and are noticeably quieter on rough pavement, the criticism against the Contis. The one minor disappointment is that the Ps are not as quiet as I had hoped.To help get useful advice I posted a fairly thorough bit on my expectations and my particular use circumstances on another forum. I only got 1 reply.
Both Bob M and Hyper have posted on this thread categorically absurd negative opinions about Pirellis (all?). Strong but not necessarily supported opinions seem to get a lot of responses.
I have only posted anything negative directly related to the OEM tires that came on this car. I have never had any issues with the Pirellis that came on my S cars. I would also be more than happy to try the Pzero as+ as they have gotten great reviews. So please, before you try to throw me under the bus, go read my posts again.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I have only posted anything negative directly related to the OEM tires that came on this car. I have never had any issues with the Pirellis that came on my S cars. I would also be more than happy to try the Pzero as+ as they have gotten great reviews. So please, before you try to throw me under the bus, go read my posts again.
Originally Posted by morris39

Hold your horses morris39. I also have only posted about the OEM Pirellis. I ain't no super sophisticated guy who races the my car and drives it hard. So I can't say the OEM P's didn't hold a corner at 95 mph because I never drove them like that but I know how a car feels when it hydroplanes in the rian and the OEM P's certainly did and that's the reason I looked elsewhere. I needed no reason other than that. Research led me to the Michelins A/S Sport A3's and the handling in rain was noticeably superior. For winters, I have dedicated snow tires. If you are happy with the P's good for you.I'm not going to argue with you, but in my case, for my priority - safe handling, the Michelins were a huge step up.

Last edited by bob m; 06-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus