A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Birds Eye Camera - No Joy Yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Birds Eye Camera - No Joy Yet

Went in for routine service and the latest word is that Audi is still working on a fix for the disappearing birds eye view. A couple of revelations. The intermittent phone disconnection isn't just on the A4. I got a 2018 A3 as a loaner and was disconnecting on that car, too. Also, going from the A4 to the A3, you notice how loud the A3 is. Road noise, wind noise, and the motor noise. Wow Audi did a great job making the 2.0 quiet in the A4.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Went in for routine service and the latest word is that Audi is still working on a fix for the disappearing birds eye view. A couple of revelations. The intermittent phone disconnection isn't just on the A4. I got a 2018 A3 as a loaner and was disconnecting on that car, too. Also, going from the A4 to the A3, you notice how loud the A3 is. Road noise, wind noise, and the motor noise. Wow Audi did a great job making the 2.0 quiet in the A4.
If they’re going to meet their promise of a fix in the “first quarter 2018” they have until March 31. We’ll see
Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Also, going from the A4 to the A3, you notice how loud the A3 is. Road noise, wind noise, and the motor noise. Wow Audi did a great job making the 2.0 quiet in the A4.
Do you have a 2018 Prestige? They added dual pane acoustic windows in 2018 to the Prestige models, they make a hell of a difference.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 2018 A4 Prestige (manufactured 3rd week of January), and unfortunately it also has this software bug of not retaining the 360 top view camera mode in parking assist. Will ask my dealership about this supposed software fix but sounds like everyone's still waiting for the fix around here
Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by traumeri
Just got my 2018 A4 Prestige (manufactured 3rd week of January), and unfortunately it also has this software bug of not retaining the 360 top view camera mode in parking assist. Will ask my dealership about this supposed software fix but sounds like everyone's still waiting for the fix around here
File an official complaint with Audi USA and get a case number if you haven't already. The more people that complain the more likely it is they will do something about it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
File an official complaint with Audi USA and get a case number if you haven't already. The more people that complain the more likely it is they will do something about it.
So I picked up my car on Dec 1 of last year. I never even knew this was a bug, I had just assumed you had to manually turn on the birds eye view.

Can someone explain specifically what the bug is? Is it supposed to activate automatically when you're near an object?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
So I picked up my car on Dec 1 of last year. I never even knew this was a bug, I had just assumed you had to manually turn on the birds eye view.
Can someone explain specifically what the bug is? Is it supposed to activate automatically when you're near an object?
When you put the car in reverse the default camera view on Prestige models is a combination of the rear camera on the left side of the screen and an overhead view of the car on the right side of the screen. The right side overhead view has two options, either a graphic of the car against a black background with the red lines showing the distance to a detected object OR a live 360 degree camera feed. The bug is that once you select the camera feed view as the option for the right side of the screen, it will randomly revert back to the "graphic" option, which then you have to manual change back to camera almost every time you want to reverse.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
When you put the car in reverse the default camera view on Prestige models is a combination of the rear camera on the left side of the screen and an overhead view of the car on the right side of the screen. The right side overhead view has two options, either a graphic of the car against a black background with the red lines showing the distance to a detected object OR a live 360 degree camera feed. The bug is that once you select the camera feed view as the option for the right side of the screen, it will randomly revert back to the "graphic" option, which then you have to manual change back to camera almost every time you want to reverse.
Oh interesting. Ok thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito

When the front or rear parking sensors detect an object, or you trigger parking mode manually with the button on the dash, the MMI screen switches into "parking mode" and the right third of the screen gives you one of the following:
  • A graphical picture of your car on a black background with indications of which sensors see an obstruction and how far away it is. This is "Graphic Mode"
  • A graphical picture of your car with the surrounding area filled in by the front/rear/side cameras showing a top-down view, including guiding lines indicating where your car will go if you drive forward or backward. This is called "Camera View".
If you have a car with the top-down camera view (i.e., Prestige in the US market), I can't imagine why anyone would want the "Graphic Mode" over the "Camera Mode". The bug is that the car randomly reverts back to "Graphic Mode" periodically, even if you manually select "Camera Mode". Page 147 & 148 of the A5/S5 manual show the two modes, and I'm sure that there's a similar description in the A4 manual.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
When the front or rear parking sensors detect an object, or you trigger parking mode manually with the button on the dash, the MMI screen switches into "parking mode" and the right third of the screen gives you one of the following:
  • A graphical picture of your car on a black background with indications of which sensors see an obstruction and how far away it is. This is "Graphic Mode"
  • A graphical picture of your car with the surrounding area filled in by the front/rear/side cameras showing a top-down view, including guiding lines indicating where your car will go if you drive forward or backward. This is called "Camera View".
If you have a car with the top-down camera view (i.e., Prestige in the US market), I can't imagine why anyone would want the "Graphic Mode" over the "Camera Mode". The bug is that the car randomly reverts back to "Graphic Mode" periodically, even if you manually select "Camera Mode". Page 147 & 148 of the A5/S5 manual show the two modes, and I'm sure that there's a similar description in the A4 manual.
Thanks this is helpful. Last question, I take it it's pretty intuitive to change it to "Camera Mode" via the MMI?

Quick Reply: Birds Eye Camera - No Joy Yet