A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Birds Eye Camera - No Joy Yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Thanks this is helpful. Last question, I take it it's pretty intuitive to change it to "Camera Mode" via the MMI?
It is, but there is a slight complication. If you hit the parking button manually to go into parking mode, or you put the car in reverse, you can push the dial to the right or hit the right MMI button to get to the "View" option. If your front parking sensors trigger and automatically switch into parking mode, that option is missing. To get back into camera view, you need to manually toggle it off and on using the button the dash. I actually think that this is part of the problem - the automatic actuation of parking mode when the front sensors hit has a bug where it doesn't know about "camera view", and doesn't reliably retrieve and store the last setting. It could be as simple as it being stuck in "Premium Plus" mode, where that option probably doesn't exist, while other ways of getting into parking mode do the right thing.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
It is, but there is a slight complication. If you hit the parking button manually to go into parking mode, or you put the car in reverse, you can push the dial to the right or hit the right MMI button to get to the "View" option. If your front parking sensors trigger and automatically switch into parking mode, that option is missing. To get back into camera view, you need to manually toggle it off and on using the button the dash. I actually think that this is part of the problem - the automatic actuation of parking mode when the front sensors hit has a bug where it doesn't know about "camera view", and doesn't reliably retrieve and store the last setting. It could be as simple as it being stuck in "Premium Plus" mode, where that option probably doesn't exist, while other ways of getting into parking mode do the right thing.
Yup, except I'm not sure if the bug is that simple as it continues to behave the same way even if I uncheck the option to automatically turn on with proximity sensors. I have also found a new variation to this software bug, in that the front view is currently "stuck" in the wide-angle view even if I left it last in the normal front view!

I have not bothered to take it into the dealer for this, seeing how everyone here has already tried without any luck.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by traumeri
I have also found a new variation to this software bug, in that the front view is currently "stuck" in the wide-angle view even if I left it last in the normal front view!
I get this as well, but it wasn't clear if it was an oversight or if it's working as-designed. I could see it go either way.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I get this as well, but it wasn't clear if it was an oversight or if it's working as-designed. I could see it go either way.
i agree. Not sure it’s a bug per se. But my SQ5 has the exact same issue. And I’d love it if it stayed in the birds eye view all the time instead of me having to change it every time. I was pissed off too that it didn’t stick but hey. There’s nothing I can do at the moment.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So no fix yet? I asked the service guy today at the local dealer. He said I am "The first person who has ever reported it." How can that be? The 2018s have been out for over 6 months.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
Went in for routine service and the latest word is that Audi is still working on a fix for the disappearing birds eye view. A couple of revelations. The intermittent phone disconnection isn't just on the A4. I got a 2018 A3 as a loaner and was disconnecting on that car, too. Also, going from the A4 to the A3, you notice how loud the A3 is. Road noise, wind noise, and the motor noise. Wow Audi did a great job making the 2.0 quiet in the A4.
With the intermittent phone disconnection, is it the same phone with both cars? I say this because I do not have any issue with my S8 phone...
Old 09-21-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So another update and a comment. My A4 is now 14 months old and still no birds eye camera fix. The software patch is now 6 months overdue. No word on release date other than "pending."

My MMI is acting freaky. Sometimes I get backup view while driving at normal speeds. I'm also getting proximity warnings while on the open road. And sometimes, the birds eye view works all by itself. I was thinking of getting the new A6 next year, but with all the bugs in the A4 and how crummy the traffic jam assist works, I'm probably going to switch brands. That's twice Audi has burned me. Once on the diesel scam and now on MMI bugs. If you think Tesla got bad press from killing people with self driving, just wait until the 2020 A8 hits (no pun intended).
Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
...My MMI is acting freaky. Sometimes I get backup view while driving at normal speeds. I'm also getting proximity warnings while on the open road. And sometimes, the birds eye view works all by itself.
And with this kind of havoc people are still talking about self-driving cars still being on the near-term horizon. I guess I’ll have to stay home more.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - Took my A4 to the dealership since I called and asked about the fix and said there was one.
On my repair order it was quoted with TSB 2053028/1 - didn't drive my car this morning to work so will see what happens when I get home.
I'm in Canada lol any Canadians reading this with Technik, go to your dealer and get this fix asap
Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNGGA
Update - Took my A4 to the dealership since I called and asked about the fix and said there was one.
On my repair order it was quoted with TSB 2053028/1 - didn't drive my car this morning to work so will see what happens when I get home.
I'm in Canada lol any Canadians reading this with Technik, go to your dealer and get this fix asap
Yeah they pulled up the TSB when I went in back in December and claimed they "fixed" it. Issue still persists though. Going back to the dealer later this month.

Quick Reply: Birds Eye Camera - No Joy Yet