A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Brake pad thickness/specs?

 
Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM
  #11  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southington, CT
Posts: 1,577
Default

Originally Posted by xreycon View Post
Thanks minmet. How do those sensors work? Can the car show you a history of when the sensors went off or once they're cleared or reset, that's it you can't see them again.

Any ideas what the technician's diagram above the 6mm and 7mm could be indicating?
The sensors are simply a wire embedded in the pad about 3 mm from the backing plate. When the pad is worn to 3 mm the wire wears through also and opens the circuit setting off the warning. It cannot be reset until you change the pads.
SchwarzS6 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 AM
  #12  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6 View Post
The sensors are simply a wire embedded in the pad about 3 mm from the backing plate. When the pad is worn to 3 mm the wire wears through also and opens the circuit setting off the warning. It cannot be reset until you change the pads.
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if the sensors need be changed along with the pads or can be reused? Although I have been changing brake pads and rotors for years, this is my first car with a wear sensor. All my previous cars had only the traditional spring indicator which just makes scraping noise when pad is too thin.
minmet is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
  #13  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6 View Post
The sensors are simply a wire embedded in the pad about 3 mm from the backing plate. When the pad is worn to 3 mm the wire wears through also and opens the circuit setting off the warning. It cannot be reset until you change the pads.
Thanks for the explanation, SchwarzS6.
xreycon is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 AM
  #14  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southington, CT
Posts: 1,577
Default

Originally Posted by minmet View Post
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if the sensors need be changed along with the pads or can be reused? Although I have been changing brake pads and rotors for years, this is my first car with a wear sensor. All my previous cars had only the traditional spring indicator which just makes scraping noise when pad is too thin.
The sensors are not reusable as they are built into the pads. When you throw out the pads the sensors go with it, You get new sensors with new pads.
SchwarzS6 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 AM
  #15  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by minmet View Post
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if the sensors need be changed along with the pads or can be reused? Although I have been changing brake pads and rotors for years, this is my first car with a wear sensor. All my previous cars had only the traditional spring indicator which just makes scraping noise when pad is too thin.
OE pads comes with the sensor wire, Pretty straight forward.
Bestcar17 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 AM
  #16  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 601
Default





This is the front brake wear sensor for B9 A4 on ECS Tuning. Trying to understand how it is attached to the pads. No sensor/wires come with the pad set though.

Last edited by minmet; 04-18-2019 at 07:14 AM.
minmet is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM
  #17  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis MO.
Posts: 286
Default

There is space on one of your front pads to slip the sensor into. Plenty of YouTube videos that show you how. Only on the drivers side front.
tomk is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM
  #18  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 601
Default

Thank you! Will look into it.
minmet is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 AM
  #19  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southington, CT
Posts: 1,577
Default

Originally Posted by minmet View Post




This is the front brake wear sensor for B9 A4 on ECS Tuning. Trying to understand how it is attached to the pads. No sensor/wires come with the pad set though.
I am pretty sure these are built into the OEM pads. From what I can see the OEM catalog does not list a separate sensor wire. Are these for aftermarket pads?
SchwarzS6 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM
  #20  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6 View Post
I am pretty sure these are built into the OEM pads. From what I can see the OEM catalog does not list a separate sensor wire. Are these for aftermarket pads?
It is OEM. You can find it in Audi parts site here: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...W0615121E.html
It appears there are two versions of pad set for B9 A4. There is also some confusion as to if the sensor is included or not with different version of the pad set.
minmet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad thickness/specs?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: