A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Brake pad thickness/specs?

Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by xreycon
Thanks minmet. How do those sensors work? Can the car show you a history of when the sensors went off or once they're cleared or reset, that's it you can't see them again.

Any ideas what the technician's diagram above the 6mm and 7mm could be indicating?
The sensors are simply a wire embedded in the pad about 3 mm from the backing plate. When the pad is worn to 3 mm the wire wears through also and opens the circuit setting off the warning. It cannot be reset until you change the pads.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The sensors are simply a wire embedded in the pad about 3 mm from the backing plate. When the pad is worn to 3 mm the wire wears through also and opens the circuit setting off the warning. It cannot be reset until you change the pads.
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if the sensors need be changed along with the pads or can be reused? Although I have been changing brake pads and rotors for years, this is my first car with a wear sensor. All my previous cars had only the traditional spring indicator which just makes scraping noise when pad is too thin.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the explanation, SchwarzS6.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by minmet
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if the sensors need be changed along with the pads or can be reused? Although I have been changing brake pads and rotors for years, this is my first car with a wear sensor. All my previous cars had only the traditional spring indicator which just makes scraping noise when pad is too thin.
The sensors are not reusable as they are built into the pads. When you throw out the pads the sensors go with it, You get new sensors with new pads.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

OE pads comes with the sensor wire, Pretty straight forward.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the front brake wear sensor for B9 A4 on ECS Tuning. Trying to understand how it is attached to the pads. No sensor/wires come with the pad set though.

Last edited by minmet; 04-18-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

There is space on one of your front pads to slip the sensor into. Plenty of YouTube videos that show you how. Only on the drivers side front.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you! Will look into it.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the front brake wear sensor for B9 A4 on ECS Tuning. Trying to understand how it is attached to the pads. No sensor/wires come with the pad set though.
I am pretty sure these are built into the OEM pads. From what I can see the OEM catalog does not list a separate sensor wire. Are these for aftermarket pads?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am pretty sure these are built into the OEM pads. From what I can see the OEM catalog does not list a separate sensor wire. Are these for aftermarket pads?
It is OEM. You can find it in Audi parts site here: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...W0615121E.html
It appears there are two versions of pad set for B9 A4. There is also some confusion as to if the sensor is included or not with different version of the pad set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad thickness/specs?