A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Brushed aluminum dashboard trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brushed aluminum dashboard trim

The car was delivered with a bit of a mark/discoloration on the front dashboard trim on a Sport Plus manual. It was a bit yellowish, and I could feel a different texture. No biggie, I figured I'd have it looked at. Today, months later, the dealer took adhesive to it. No-go. I tried alcohol. No-go.

I'm going to talk to the service department next week at the first oil change (5,000 miles).

I'm guessing it's a fluke, but figured I'd check. Anyone else have any weird goings-on with their trim piece? Is it easily replaced if it continue to drive me nuts?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ptmdsharp
The car was delivered with a bit of a mark/discoloration on the front dashboard trim on a Sport Plus manual. It was a bit yellowish, and I could feel a different texture. No biggie, I figured I'd have it looked at. Today, months later, the dealer took adhesive to it. No-go. I tried alcohol. No-go.

I'm going to talk to the service department next week at the first oil change (5,000 miles).

I'm guessing it's a fluke, but figured I'd check. Anyone else have any weird goings-on with their trim piece? Is it easily replaced if it continue to drive me nuts?
People love pictures and they'll tend to respond to things much better. Pictures go a long way.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Last edited by ptmdsharp; 03-11-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: TEXT
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oops, those photos are ginormous. Anyway, the stain started off with a yellowish tint, and I could rub my finger on it and get a reaction. So it felt like there was a film of some sort. The dealer applied adhesive remover, which had no effect other than to remove the yellowing. It almost appears as if the finish is gone, making it shiny.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah they no basically removed any protective layer it had. It will look crappy and dull in the near future. Make sure to keep all your documentation and tell them that you want it replaced. If they can't do it locally, ask them if they would please go through Audi USA. If not, just do it yourself and explain the situation. I would also point out that your local audi dealer was unwilling to help you out in this matter if it comes to that.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, take it back to the dealer and request that the trim be replaced. This is a flaw that should be repaired via the warranty.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ptmdsharp
I'm not liking that "brushed" aluminum trim. On the 2017 models, we have a textured aluminum trim, that at a quick glance a friend of mine thought was carbon fiber.

Actually, I didn't want aluminum ... I wanted dark walnut wood. But the car my dealership found met all of my requirements -- except the wood.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

It's covered in diagonal scratches, and much of the horizontal machine brushing in the affected area appears to have been rubbed out. The dealer, presumably, has done more than just apply adhesive remover. Unless they did so with a steel wool pad, and very badly at that. It would need to be re-brushed and re-sealed by an expert (meaning not the dealer). Would be cheaper, and a better match, for them just to replace the trim piece. Hopefully the dealer will not start baulking at making it right, and they really should have already volunteered to replace the piece rather than return the car to you looking like this. This is potentially one of those areas where the dealer and Audi could argue over the origin of the discolouration, the correction of which seems to have resulted in further damage. The cost of the trim piece and labour shouldn't be that high anyway. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good news: My dealer service department didn't bat an eye and agreed to replace the piece.

I'm really not sure what happened to cause the damage, but it must've happened after it left the factory. The car had several hundred miles on it at delivery. Oh well, there appears to be a happy ending.

Last edited by ptmdsharp; 03-13-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^

Good to hear the dealer is responding as they should. Not sure how a new car can rack up several hundred miles before delivery though?

Quick Reply: Brushed aluminum dashboard trim