A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Car doesn't fully shut down when I leave it

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car doesn't fully shut down when I leave it

I tried a few searches and didn't see any reports like this, so hopefully someone can help.

Several times in the past month I have parked my car in the garage like I always do, hit the stop button, hop out and go inside, only to later find that the headlights and taillights are still on and some portion of the interior (dash board, MMI, etc) is still turned on.

The common theme I have noticed is that I think every it has happened I have left the sunroof open.

Has this happened to anyone else????

I have a 2017 Premium Plus allroad, but put it in this forum because I believe it to be A4 related more then allroad related.

Please let me know if you have ideas... I hate to think that I miss it one of these days and the battery is dead in the morning.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Are you sure you turn it off and not accidentally turn the ignition back on? Things can get a little confusing sometimes with auto start/stop. If the car is off, the moment you open the door, the interior should shut down. If it doesn't, then the car is not off. Press the stop button again w/o foot on the brake to shut it off. Anytime the interior stays on when you leave the car, it's not off.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK, that's a good note. I will keep an eye out for it... This has only happened at home, but maybe my attention is on my kids and not whether I've actually shut the car down.

If it happens again I'll report back.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed this as well with my 2017 A4 Allroad. Dealer did a software flash that fixed it
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting. Do you have any more details on what software they flashed? My dealer hasn't instilled a great deal of confidence in me yet, so I'd like to be armed with as much information as possible when I contact them.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pbrown
Interesting. Do you have any more details on what software they flashed? My dealer hasn't instilled a great deal of confidence in me yet, so I'd like to be armed with as much information as possible when I contact them.
I'll send you the work order over PM with the TSB.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You rock! Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allroading17, could you share the software flash that the dealer did? I fear I might have the same problem.
Driving the car around town earlier in the week, the Stop-Start kicked in. At least, the Stop did, but the Start failed. A kind passer-by jump-started me, but it was very worrying on an 18-month old car. The Audi dealer said they could see the battery going flat, but after they kept it overnight and charged it, it held the charge OK - they suggested that the car had been left with the ignition on. I certainly hadn't done so deliberately, so I'm wondering is something happening behind the scenes. I don;t know if there are software differences between the U.S. and U.K. that might make it irrelevant, but it's worth me checking with the dealer, whose attitude was basically "if it dies again, call Audi Assistance, goodbye". This is not helped by the fact that I can't see a VCDS option to provide a battery meter in the MMI, as you could on earlier models, so I don't know that it's close to dying until it actually happens.
(I had a similar problem in the past on a BMW E60 525d, the "Intelligent" battery lead would wake the car up in the middle of the night and run a systems check, but fail to shut everything down again, resulting in a flat battery).
Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by halfmanhalftenor
Allroading17, could you share the software flash that the dealer did? I fear I might have the same problem.
Driving the car around town earlier in the week, the Stop-Start kicked in. At least, the Stop did, but the Start failed. A kind passer-by jump-started me, but it was very worrying on an 18-month old car. The Audi dealer said they could see the battery going flat, but after they kept it overnight and charged it, it held the charge OK - they suggested that the car had been left with the ignition on. I certainly hadn't done so deliberately, so I'm wondering is something happening behind the scenes. I don;t know if there are software differences between the U.S. and U.K. that might make it irrelevant, but it's worth me checking with the dealer, whose attitude was basically "if it dies again, call Audi Assistance, goodbye". This is not helped by the fact that I can't see a VCDS option to provide a battery meter in the MMI, as you could on earlier models, so I don't know that it's close to dying until it actually happens.
(I had a similar problem in the past on a BMW E60 525d, the "Intelligent" battery lead would wake the car up in the middle of the night and run a systems check, but fail to shut everything down again, resulting in a flat battery).
The dealer didn't list the specific software update completed. I no longer have that car either-
Old 10-26-2018, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had this issue with my 2016 A6, so I was ready for it with my new 2018 A4. It seems less of an issue with the new car. That being said, as a precaution, I lock the car whenever I think I've turned it off and then gotten out. The issue for me is that the engine on/off button in the B9 A4 is far further forward on the console than it was on the '16 A6 - this makes it a pain to turn the engine off in the first place. I am 6'2" tall and have the seat pretty well back, so it is quite a reach to that button. At times I wish I was shorter and could ride with the seat further forward, making it less of a stretch.
My suggestion is to always use the door touch button or the remote to turn everything off when you leave the car for any period of time.

Last edited by irenesbob; 10-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Car doesn't fully shut down when I leave it