A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Central Locking switch (inside drivers door)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking switch (inside drivers door)?

I have a 2017 A4 B9 Premium and I cannot get the central locking switch to LOCK the doors. Shouldn't be that complicated but when I press the lock button and then exit the car it remains unlocked.

I would like to be able to use lock on the inside of the door at times.
(and, to test it after exiting the car I took the key into the house to make sure it was not near the car when I attempted to open it, still remained unlocked)

Last edited by tommoran2; 06-11-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to unlock the door to get out...

Just touch the little square on the handle once you are out and this will lock the doors and give you audible feedback.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Locking the doors that way is not a problem on my car (from outside) .

My problem is, I would like to be able to just use the button on the inside of the car instead. This is the button that I cannot get to work for me. In the manual it is referred to as the "Central Locking Switch" on p 39.

Last edited by tommoran2; 06-11-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless it does not lock the doors when you are inside the vehicle, I would say it is working properly. When you pull the door handle to get out of the door, this unlocks the door. You can't expect the door to still be locked once you exited the vehicle.

Maybe you could try to lock the doors with the central lock button once you are outside and the door is still open.

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 06-11-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Maybe you could try to lock the doors with the central lock button once you are outside and the door is still open."

That is what Iam attempting to do. I stop the car, open door to leave and then press the Central Lock button on the inside of the door, then close the door after exiting. At that point I expect the doors to be locked but they are not locked.

Weird ??? I guess it only works (locks) while in car with all doors closed. Cant be used to lock car when leaving it.

Last edited by tommoran2; 06-11-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommoran2

That is what Iam attempting to do. I stop the car, open door to leave and then press the Central Lock button on the inside of the door, then close the door after exiting. At that point I expect the doors to be locked but they are not locked.
This sounds like it's intentional so you don't inadvertently lock yourself out of the car.
The following users liked this post:
jerWim11 (05-07-2020)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Weird ??? I guess it only works (locks) while in car with all doors closed. Cant be used to lock car when leaving it.
People used to lock car doors all the time like this (and often inadvertently lock the keys in the car in the process). I wonder if someone at Audi figured that now that you have the little lock button on the door handle, no one would do this...

Or, could they be doing something similar to what GM was doing 20 years ago? IIRC, if you pressed the lock button while the door was open, it would activate a delayed locking mode where, once all four doors were closed, 5 seconds later, all doors would lock.

Let me dig up the owner's manual for a random GM car. Delayed locking is described as follows:
"This feature can be turned on or off. It delays the locking of the doors for five seconds after the power door LOCK or the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed and the last door is closed.
If a door is opened before five seconds, the delayed lock is cancelled. When all doors are closed again, delayed locking begins again.
Three chimes will sound to indicate that this feature is on. The chime will sound only when the key is not in the ignition and a door is open."
Old 06-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
People used to lock car doors all the time like this (and often inadvertently lock the keys in the car in the process). I wonder if someone at Audi figured that now that you have the little lock button on the door handle, no one would do this...

Or, could they be doing something similar to what GM was doing 20 years ago? IIRC, if you pressed the lock button while the door was open, it would activate a delayed locking mode where, once all four doors were closed, 5 seconds later, all doors would lock.

Let me dig up the owner's manual for a random GM car. Delayed locking is described as follows:
"This feature can be turned on or off. It delays the locking of the doors for five seconds after the power door LOCK or the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed and the last door is closed.
If a door is opened before five seconds, the delayed lock is cancelled. When all doors are closed again, delayed locking begins again.
Three chimes will sound to indicate that this feature is on. The chime will sound only when the key is not in the ignition and a door is open."
I noticed that the "Lock" button only activates (light goes red and an audible click) if all doors are closed. But once a door is opened pushing the "Lock" button does nothing. It must be by design.

I was use to locking my 05 Honda Accord this way from the inside drivers side door. Seemed easier than closing the door and touching the handle on the Audi which is what I do now.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:21 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I noticed that the "Lock" button only activates (light goes red and an audible click) if all doors are closed. But once a door is opened pushing the "Lock" button does nothing. It must be by design.

I was use to locking my 05 Honda Accord this way from the inside drivers side door. Seemed easier than closing the door and touching the handle on the Audi which is what I do now.
What happens if you hold the lock button 3-5 seconds? I wonder if there could be some override...
Old 06-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
What happens if you hold the lock button 3-5 seconds? I wonder if there could be some override...
Tried it, nothing happened.

Quick Reply: Central Locking switch (inside drivers door)?