A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Changing spark plugs

Old 06-06-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing spark plugs

Has anyone changed the spark plugs for the B9 themselves? Can you give us a DIY on changing the plugs? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You should have fine luck looking up just about any other 2.0T Audi engines and following those instructions -- they're all laid out SUPER similarly, so that should give you the information you need!
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now who wants to tell me what a torque spec of 20 + 5 means?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, there's nothing unusual about doing plugs on the 4 cyl engine. The only tricky bit is un-doing the clip that holds the harness to each coil pack.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you so much Antsh. I just did the plugs in my 2017 A4 and that guide helped me since I wanted to be sure there were not any out of the norm procedures.

1) Removed engine cover
2) Undid the heated oxygen sensor connector seen in above, although probably enough clearance without
3) Removed the ground wires from the coil packs
4) Pulled back on the purple tab for all four connectors and gently dislodged each from the coil packs. They clicked and loosed with gentle force
5) Remove the bolts holding in each coil pack
6) Gently lifted the packs out of the spark plug "hole"
7) Used an extension with 5/8 spark plug wrench to remove and replace each
8) Tightened each plug to 22 lbs

I bought the set of 4 plugs from ECS tuning. Performed at 42k miles
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mcganz121
Thank you so much Antsh. I just did the plugs in my 2017 A4 and that guide helped me since I wanted to be sure there were not any out of the norm procedures.

1) Removed engine cover
2) Undid the heated oxygen sensor connector seen in above, although probably enough clearance without
3) Removed the ground wires from the coil packs
4) Pulled back on the purple tab for all four connectors and gently dislodged each from the coil packs. They clicked and loosed with gentle force
5) Remove the bolts holding in each coil pack
6) Gently lifted the packs out of the spark plug "hole"
7) Used an extension with 5/8 spark plug wrench to remove and replace each
8) Tightened each plug to 22 lbs

I bought the set of 4 plugs from ECS tuning. Performed at 42k miles
You seems didn’t use the two special tools (3122B for plugs and T10530 for coils). Easy to do without them especially the ignition coils?
Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Beware of free advice. The web is full of stories of broken Euro coil pack connectors (apparently the most common connector damage) and coil packs. As posted above there are specialty tools for the job. Unless you view repairs as hobby (not likely if you have to ask) you will never repay these relatively inexpensive tools against the cost of a garage job. If you damage something you will be forever behind.
If you must, try removing the coil connectors without horsing/forcing. I say this having done a lifetime of DIY US auto and Jap. motorbike repairs. The new cars particularly EU need specialized tools. You decide if I am a shill for dealers. What motivates people to offer bad advice? maybe in some cases with clean brand new engines you can remove these parts easily.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minmet
You seems didn’t use the two special tools (3122B for plugs and T10530 for coils). Easy to do without them especially the ignition coils?
I didn't use the special tools noted... The one appears to help lift the coil pack and the other I don't recall... This didn't seem to be any different than changing the plugs on my 2010 B8 A4.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcganz121:
minmet (07-01-2019), vkamnyev (06-30-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Extremely easy to replace. Only tools I used was a 10mm socket for the coil packs and grounds, a spark plug socket for the plugs 5/8" and a small flat head to help with the covers over the coil plug connectors. Did not have to remove anything else because nothing was in the way that I couldn't just move slightly. Whole process took about 7 minutes.

1) Remove engine cover.
2) Unclipped cover that is covering the plugs for the coils themselves.
3) Unscrew 10mm nut holding ground wire, followed by 10mm nut/bolt assembly for the coil pack.
4) Lift up coil pack by hand. There will be some resistance, this is because it forms a tight seal and connection with the plug.
5) Remove spark plug with 5/8" spark plug socket. The socket has a piece inside of it designed to hold onto the plug for easy removal.
6) Install new plugs and reverse process to put everything back together. I'm not sure what the torque specs are exactly for the plugs, but after working in a shop for a long time I have always done it by feel.

I did notice some oil build up on the outside of the spark plug for the cylinder at the end back of the engine bay (possibly number 4 or 1, not sure what order they are in). I think it might be residual oil from when my dealer replaced my timing chain assembly for a rattle noise on start up. They did remove the valve cover to do some leak down testing, so that is probably where the oil came from. The whole was in no way full of oil. I will be checking it next time I do an oil change just to see if it is a leak that needs to be addressed.
The following users liked this post:
minmet (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Great to hear that you guys didn’t use the coil removal tool - I’ve got my plugs sitting in the garage waiting to go in.
Did either of you check the gap prior to install (even though they are marketed as pre-gapped)? What about dielectric grease application on the coil packs prior to reinstall?
Any difference in acceleration that you can tell?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs