A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Choosing between Audi A4 Premium AWD and Premium Plus FWD with Technology Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between Audi A4 Premium AWD and Premium Plus FWD with Technology Pkg

I am going to purchase an Audi A4 and wanted to get opinions of others in the forum about these two options.

One option is buying Audi A4 Premium AWD with upgraded rim to 18 inch.
Other option is buying Audi A4 Premium Plus FWD with upgrade to Technology Package which includes Virtual Cockpit and has black cloth liner on top.

Both cost about the same in the end only a difference of $1000.

Just wanted to get opinions on whether Virtual Cockpit is worth it over sacrificing AWD. Also are the speakers in Premium Plus worth it along with the LED headlights?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It depends on what you want.
For me, AWD and HP are way more important than virtual cockpit, lane assist etc. Since I'm going to bring it to track.
For daily driving and the cool feeling, virtual cockpit is a must.
Hope it helps.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

DONT BUY AN AUDI THAT IS FWD. EVER.
I know so many people that purchased or leased fwd low powered Audi vehicles and never enjoyed it. Are you a driver? or are you just looking for the amenities? If you want amenities, get a C 300 Mercedes.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I currently do have an Audi A4 2005 B7 model with manual transmission. I like the AWD but the cost is an issue. I am getting older now and would prefer to have a car for day to day use to work and for pleasure and not for racing. I also prefer AWD but cost is a limiting factor.

I have no idea of Virtual Cockpit but it has potential of being big and helpful. My use case now is to be able to navigate to a place as quickly and efficiently as possible and having maps and apps is what I am interested now a days.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by agp2572
I currently do have an Audi A4 2005 B7 model with manual transmission. I like the AWD but the cost is an issue. I am getting older now and would prefer to have a car for day to day use to work and for pleasure and not for racing. I also prefer AWD but cost is a limiting factor.

I have no idea of Virtual Cockpit but it has potential of being big and helpful. My use case now is to be able to navigate to a place as quickly and efficiently as possible and having maps and apps is what I am interested now a days.
I don't have the virtual cockpit but for navigation purpose, if you use google map, the Android/Apple auto play which comes standard for all models is good enough. The virtual cockpit for me is nothing more than an extra screen, but again it's personal. Also I know a lot of ppls bought Audi solely for the cockpit, I suggest you to play with the cockpit and ask dealer about it, what it can achieve.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bottom line is that AWD is an every day useful safety feature and the technology package is a toy, the key elements of which can be duplicated on the phone that's already in your pocket. The Virtual Cockpit and all that stuff is definitely cool, no doubt, but if this is an either/or it's a no brainer.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried driving them back to back? In a loaner A4 I had with FWD, I'd hear wheel spin taking off from a dead stop, not even pushing the car hard. Doesn't happen with AWD quattro.

That being said Premium Plus brings in a lot of niceties. To me the full LED lights are a must have. Bang and Olufsen sound is great.

If it's an option for you, I would try for Premium Plus with AWD, and you'll be very happy.

Virtual cockpit is nice, and if given the option I would get it again, but lower on the list of my things I'd want.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

To me, LED lights are more important than virtual cockpit (VC). I test drove audi w/ and w/o the VC extensively, and honestly, when you're driving, you hardly need the different because the standard screen Audi offers is already really really good!
As for AWD vs FWD.. Audi is Quattro. I wouldn't buy an Audi any other way. There are many cars out there that have a better FWD dynamic and probably better on the pocket too.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Agree, go with AWD vs. FWD. Virtual cockpit is a nice add-on but wouldn't choose that over Quattro.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:09 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KingQuattro
DONT BUY AN AUDI THAT IS FWD. EVER.
I know so many people that purchased or leased fwd low powered Audi vehicles and never enjoyed it. Are you a driver? or are you just looking for the amenities? If you want amenities, get a C 300 Mercedes.
I'd agree with that. There was one fellow here with a 190HP scuba blue FWD and he traded in the car after like 2 months for a Lexus (IS?).

I'd strongly disagree with the C300 Mercedes recommendation if you want amenities/comfort. Ride quality is way worse than the B9 (though maybe the US-spec luxury suspension, if that's still available, helps... but you still have the damn runflats) and the amenities will cost you BIG $$$.

To the OP: why are these the only two options? Cost? Buying CPO car and that's the only available ones?

Quick Reply: Choosing between Audi A4 Premium AWD and Premium Plus FWD with Technology Pkg