A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Clean Dash Cam Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHUN
Sorry, but I have to ask what pictures you want to see? The cameras or the wires? The wires all hidden.
Front camera beside the front rear-view mirror from right side so I can have clear access to the camera buttons (and btw my Hwy 407 ETR box I mount to the left of the mirror) , the rear camera at the rear in the middle attached to the rear center stop light box), and all the wires squeezed in below the headliner towards the door seals and below the seals connecting front and rear...simple.
And I have a tint film at the rear as well, initially I had a concern if that would make the recording dark but in the app you can adjust the sensitivity and really no needed.
Oh sorry, I meant what the finished installed product looks like.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Oh sorry, I meant what the finished installed product looks like.
I'm not sure what about the 2nd post in this thread wasn't to your liking with respect to the pictures of camera. It looks very clean. Any camera mounted professionally will be very similar done. It's the same thing with the back camera, can hardly tell it's there. The back camera is much much smaller. You'll be able to see it in your rearview camera as something small is there but in the grand scheme of things you'll never actually notice it because your eyes always automatically focus further away when checking traffic behind you that's outside. They are designed so that they are easy to reach or remove.

Last edited by munsabin; 12-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
I'm not sure what about the 2nd post in this thread wasn't to your liking with respect to the camera. It looks very clean. Any camera mounted professionally will be very similar done. It's the same thing with the back camera, can hardly tell it's there. The back camera is much much smaller. You'll be able to see it in your rearview camera as something small is there but in the grand scheme of things you'll never actually notice it because your eyes always automatically focus further away when checking traffic behind you that's outside. They are designed so that they are easy to reach or remove.
I do like the install in the second post, I'd prefer some sort of installation method where you can't see the camera period although I'm not sure if that's possible.

My EZPass transponder is placed where the camera is located in the photos of the second picture, although if push came to shove, I could install it to the left side of the rear view mirror.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
I do like the install in the second post, I'd prefer some sort of installation method where you can't see the camera period
LOL. Not to be a dick... but... just think logically about what you're hoping for. You want to install a front and rear view dash camera, without it being visible at all. I didn't know they make invisible dash cameras...?

As far as I know, there aren't any car manufacturers that integrate dash cameras into their build where the rearview camera is mounted - but this usually saved for much more important sensors for autonomous driving, sensors, and o/ crap.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
LOL. Not to be a dick... but... just think logically about what you're hoping for. You want to install a front and rear view dash camera, without it being visible at all. I didn't know they make invisible dash cameras...?

As far as I know, there aren't any car manufacturers that integrate dash cameras into their build where the rearview camera is mounted - but this usually saved for much more important sensors for autonomous driving, sensors, and o/ crap.
I don't want a rear facing dash cam, just front. Others have merely mentioned their front and rear set ups. As for integrating it in such a way where you can't see it, it's possible to do in my last car which was a F30 3 Series:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1385357&stc=1&d=145842 9289
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1385358&stc=1&d=145842 9291

The rear view mirror assembly is much different in the A4 but was just wondering if anyone tried something similar to those photos. And no worries about sounding like a dick, I know without the context I just provided that my question probably sounds stupid, even with the context I just provided my question probably still sounds stupid, I've had the car for less than a week and I've only driven it 3 times since I've got it so I haven't had a chance to look at the interior to see if there was a way to hide the camera from view, seems like that's not likely.

Last edited by guy_incognito; 12-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you install the camera DIY I know for sure
you will sit in the driver seat and with your right hand holding the camera you will move it around for half hour....
then you will take off the protective film from the sticky tape and you will mount it "there"...
then after some 5 minutes you will peal it off from glass to move that thing just for a hair - aside...
and this is how this game goes...
Or, you go to an installer and ... you got what you got...and you will be very happy with it...
Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Which fuse are you guys tapping into?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a previous thread for DIY dash cam installations. If you want, check out my post for my dash cam installation, tapping off the mirror power. Maybe that will help. I actually used a radar dectector cord with taps. I used the connector right above the mirror, as opposed to using the wires on the right. I swiveled the connector down a bit and tapped into the yellow and brown. Took a while the get the taps in. I think the trick was to go behind the wire in the connector. Originally I was trying to go in front and slide the tap in. But it may be different for you.

Hopefully this is the correct link. It's post 16 in the thread, and there are pictures.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2903447/page2/

Hope it helps.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I fitted one of these because I didn’t want to have a visible installation:

inCarBite

Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The installation is looks neat - no wires and you need to look very hard to see the camera. Image quality is great.

The downsides are I needed to screen the unit to avoid interference with the DAB and the app for WiFi viewing is a bit unreliable.

Quick Reply: Clean Dash Cam Install?