A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

CN: What's the correct spark plug change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CN: What's the correct spark plug change interval?

Hi, guys.

AUDI dealer suggests to change spark plug in every 20,000 KM in china, but Audi user maintenance stipulates to change spark plug interval is 40,000 miles or 6 years in U.S and other countries. local dealer explained Chinese gasoline quality is not as good as US and Europe, therefore replace interval have to be shorten in china. i really couldn't follow this explanation literally, our local fuel is already conformity with Euro6 standard, even some criterias is even higher than other countries. i think it is not fair to force Chinese user to change spark plug so often.

does anyone know that is the local dealer of audi correct on this standard?

many thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Zheng
Hi, guys.

AUDI dealer suggests to change spark plug in every 20,000 KM in china, but Audi user maintenance stipulates to change spark plug interval is 40,000 miles or 6 years in U.S and other countries. local dealer explained Chinese gasoline quality is not as good as US and Europe, therefore replace interval have to be shorten in china. i really couldn't follow this explanation literally, our local fuel is already conformity with Euro6 standard, even some criterias is even higher than other countries. i think it is not fair to force Chinese user to change spark plug so often.

does anyone know that is the local dealer of audi correct on this standard?

many thanks
Do you have an owners manual with your car? If so, what does it state in there for intervals? Do they not offer AudiCare to cover your first few maintenance schedules?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Owner manual also shows change spark pulg at every 20000KM in china regardless time.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That seems a bit early for spark plugs. In Canada its every 60,000kms or 6 years. If your owners manual states it and so does the dealer I would get it done. The last thing you want to run into is engine failure and they deny you warranty because of not following manufactures scheduled maintenance. What are they charging you for the service?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodsie0520
That seems a bit early for spark plugs. In Canada its every 60,000kms or 6 years. If your owners manual states it and so does the dealer I would get it done. The last thing you want to run into is engine failure and they deny you warranty because of not following manufactures scheduled maintenance. What are they charging you for the service?
If the dealer explained that its because of the poor gas quality in China, thats a pretty legit reason.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
If the dealer explained that its because of the poor gas quality in China, thats a pretty legit reason.
If the fuel quality is that bad that they recommend plugs that early would you not be worried about other things like cats getting plugged up too? To me it just seems like if the gas is that bad it would create other issued too. What is the oil change recommended interval in China?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

it costs 118 USD each time ( includes labor cost and parts). you're right that dealer will consider to out of warranty if you didn't follow maintenance schedule.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If the fuel quality is that bad that they recommend plugs that early would you not be worried about other things like cats getting plugged up too? To me it just seems like if the gas is that bad it would create other issued too. What is the oil change recommended interval in China?

the official owner manual suggests to change oil at every 10,000KM or 12 Months, which ever comes to first in case of using Full-Synthetic Oil. but, dealer normally told to set interval between 5,000km-7,500Km. it seems the dealer want to earn money on after service, since chinese fuel quality isn't such bad, in particular the chinese sino-petrol states the fuel supply to market can meet to Euro6 standard. it is bad that customer had to borne extra costs which seems unnecessarily.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:37 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

What emissions control systems do Chinese-market cars have?

It was well-known a few years ago that at least some German automakers shipped cars to middle eastern countries with no emissions control systems whatsoever... so one shouldn't presume cars in other markets have the same emissions systems you'd find in a US-spec or Euro-spec car...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
What emissions control systems do Chinese-market cars have?

It was well-known a few years ago that at least some German automakers shipped cars to middle eastern countries with no emissions control systems whatsoever... so one shouldn't presume cars in other markets have the same emissions systems you'd find in a US-spec or Euro-spec car...
at present, emission standard should compliance with EURO5, but soon emission standard will be EURO6. For Audi A4 B9, It is Euro6 standard in the market. i have to complain that Audi treat to chinese customer is differ with our countries, it is none sense to force customer go for change spark plug in every 20,000 KM, also according to audi reply, the EA888 is with turbo charge and direct injection.