A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Coding MPH from Km/h for Virtual Cockpit

Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
... Btw I kinda like it that the dial can be set to kmph whereas the centre reading shows mph. I’m weird.
Actually, this was VERY useful for my European delivery!
Old 10-14-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In my US 18 prestige, when I change the units to kmh, the center readout is devided to two sections and shows both mph and kmh. I don’t think that’s a bug. It is done this way intentionally to give you an alternate speed indicator you’re more familiar with so you have a better idea how fast/slow you’re driving.

Last edited by marz1; 10-14-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Actually, this was VERY useful for my European delivery!
I can imagine. I liked it that way when I went to Canada too.

Originally Posted by marz1
In my US 18 prestige, when I change the units to kmh, the center readout is devided to two sections and shows both mph and kmh. I don’t think that’s a bug. It is done this way intentionally to give you an alternate speed indicator you’re more familiar with so you have a better idea how fast/slow you’re driving.
Yes. That makes sense. But my A4 doesn’t show both (I wish it did though). I haven’t messed around with the settings on the SQ5 so I’m not sure how that shows values (since it’s a 2018 and the A4 is a 2017). Now I’m curious.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '18 Canadian Technik- I'm able to get the dual section MPH/ km/h speedometer to appear (see below) but ONLY when I change the 'View' (via the steering wheel) which minimizes the size of both the tachometer and speedometer to the lower left and right corners:

When I change the View back to maximize the tachometer and speedometer, I lose the numerical MPH value altogether (like that shown in the original post) even though I'm in the MPH setting in the MMI.

In the case of Canadian models, obviously the MPH info is in there if its appearing in the alternate minimized view. I'm starting to lean towards this being a glitch.

FWIW- if for whatever reason this IS their identifier for a US vs Canada vehicle, would it not make more sense to give us the complete changeover when we do the units conversion in the MMI (full MPH or full Km/h) and instead lock/fix the specific country units via the odometer?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnAllroad
I have an '18 Canadian Technik- I'm able to get the dual section MPH/ km/h speedometer to appear (see below) but ONLY when I change the 'View' (via the steering wheel) which minimizes the size of both the tachometer and speedometer to the lower left and right corners:

When I change the View back to maximize the tachometer and speedometer, I lose the numerical MPH value altogether (like that shown in the original post) even though I'm in the MPH setting in the MMI.

In the case of Canadian models, obviously the MPH info is in there if its appearing in the alternate minimized view. I'm starting to lean towards this being a glitch.

FWIW- if for whatever reason this IS their identifier for a US vs Canada vehicle, would it not make more sense to give us the complete changeover when we do the units conversion in the MMI (full MPH or full Km/h) and instead lock/fix the specific country units via the odometer?

I think they did this by design perhaps not a very good one. I can see the logic behind this is to give the driver the alternate speed unit info when switching mph/kmph regardless of what mode you set the view in virtual cockpit. In maximize view the speedometer is numbered and the alternate unit is displayed numerically in center. Since there are no speedometer numbers in the minimize view, it shows both Km/h and mph numerically in that view
Old 10-22-2018, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sergey307
I have made vice versa, that's why it is possible:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ution-2949834/

Try to do 17 Instruments - Byte 6 - bit 2 (from 0 to 1)
if it won't help also set "dual_speedometer" in 17 block long coding as "yes"
Curious... has anyone attempted this code on a North American model? Feedback?
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious... has anyone attempted this code on a North American model? Feedback?
Actualy I have NAR spec car and I have imported it to Europe. I have problem with km and miles on my VC, now I have only km, but for this I have unchecked bit 2 (from 1 to 0), if you need vice versa effect you need to check it on (from 0 to 1).
Old 01-04-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered...

I have an '18 B9 with Virtual Cockpit (Canada-spec). I do a fair bit of travelling between Canada and the USA and would like to have a complete MPH dash setup when in the US.
In adjusting the units via the MMI (MENU-->SETTINGS-->Measurements (Units)), I'm switching over every option available from metric to imperial.

However once completed the VC speedometer gauge adjusts to MPH accordingly (eg-40MPH), yet the oversized centered numerical value is out of sync and remains set in km/h (eg-66km/h).

Are there any codes available to convert the numerical value/units to MPH?
Note that this for CANADIAN vehicles using the conversion the MMI conversion from Km/h to MPH (US vehicles would follow the same process to convert from MPH to Km/h)

CONFIRMED
Done using VCDS (HEX-V2)
17-INSTRUMENTS --> LONG CODING --> BYTE 1 --> BIT 1... UNCHECK 'dual_speedometer,yes'

BOTH the circular dial & center numbers are in MPH now

When 'View' is minimized, it appears ONLY as MPH now (not split as before)
The following users liked this post:
dreiter2 (04-23-2023)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Correct, this is not a bug. It is required for FMVSS regulations in the US that you display both MPH and KM/H when you have chosen KM/H as your speed. That is why when you have the virtual cockpit in classic mode, the center of the dial still shows MPH and the scale is in KM/H, and when you shrink the gauges to progressive mode, it removes the scale from the dial and puts both MPH and KM/H in the center of the small dial.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Correct, this is not a bug. It is required for FMVSS regulations in the US that you display both MPH and KM/H when you have chosen KM/H as your speed. That is why when you have the virtual cockpit in classic mode, the center of the dial still shows MPH and the scale is in KM/H, and when you shrink the gauges to progressive mode, it removes the scale from the dial and puts both MPH and KM/H in the center of the small dial.

Hope this helps.
Interesting... I'm not sure if that's really the 'right' interpretation of FMVSS 101, which seems to me to be really designed around analog dials.

I wonder what the mid-1980s FMVSS 101 said. Old school domestic digital instrument clusters had a 'metric' button that switched the one big speedometer from MPH to km/h, I think...

Also, by your interpretation of FMVSS 101, wouldn't what GM does on a number of cars be banned? A number of GM cars, especially Corvettes, have analog speedometers that can be switched from km/h to mph, and the needle position adjusts accordingly (i.e. if you have it in MPH mode and you're going 60 MPH, the needle will be at 60... and if you have it in km/h mode and you're going 60 km/h, it will be pointing at 60)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coding MPH from Km/h for Virtual Cockpit