A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Color

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color

Hello all I am saying goodbye to my 2016 S3, and I decided to get a 2019 A4 but I am torn between two different colors. Both colors will have black optics. The first color is brilliant black and the second color is ibis white. Any input would be great to try to help me decide.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote for Daytona Gray, but I am biased though. I have Mythos black on our TT, Brilliant Black would be tougher to keep clean. Either choice would be good. If not gray, Ibis white. Love black cars, but hate the up keep.

Last edited by golddogs; 04-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

There are some paint issues with the A4s -- very soft clear coat. I know there is a thread about this as I posted on it. Primarily concerns Manhattan gray showing tons of swirl marks. Ask me how I know -- LOL. If I had to do it over again I'd go with silver or white to avoid the dreaded swirl marks. I do run through the automatic wash but the marks on this car are like nothing I've ever seen before. Very fragile clear coat.

Best,
Jeff
Old 04-01-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Acuransx
There are some paint issues with the A4s -- very soft clear coat. I know there is a thread about this as I posted on it. Primarily concerns Manhattan gray showing tons of swirl marks. Ask me how I know -- LOL. If I had to do it over again I'd go with silver or white to avoid the dreaded swirl marks. I do run through the automatic wash but the marks on this car are like nothing I've ever seen before. Very fragile clear coat.

Best,
Jeff
Paint correction,ceramic coating, and you'll be good to go. Just me, but I never go through automatics. They are wind tunnels for debris and the clothes will grab onto anything blowing around. Then they get scrubbed across your paint.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I really love Daytona. But white looks really good. What I don’t like are the black wheels. Just don’t do it for me. The optional wheels are nice but with the roads around here I’d be afraid running anything over 18s. Plus they come with summer tires.
If it was was me, I’d do white.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Flyguy31
I really love Daytona. But white looks really good. What I don’t like are the black wheels. Just don’t do it for me. The optional wheels are nice but with the roads around here I’d be afraid running anything over 18s. Plus they come with summer tires.
If it was was me, I’d do white.
Before I purchased my A4, I test drove one with 19's with summer tires in 38 degree weather. I was surprised how nice it drove. I was expecting a harsher ride, but it was on slightly less compliant than the 18's. Roads around here are also nothing to write home about.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Unfortunately with the weather where I am located it is almost unavoidable to use an automatic wash. I realize not ideal but on the other hand never had issues with any of my other vehicles looking as bad as the A4 after a few automatic washes. For sure a clear coat issue.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

In my experience (black car, silver car, black car, white car) there's nothing that looks better than a freshly washed black car, but a black car is only ever clean for 17 seconds . I always took great care to protect the paint on my black cars, and they looked great, but it was a lot of extra work. A white car will never look as shiny as an incredibly clean black car, but will look cleaner in general the majority of the time. Also, I think the black-optics package stands out a lot more on a light colored car. Just my $.02

(copied my own response from your post on AZ just in case anyone here wants to weigh in on my opinion)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I love a clean shiny black car, but a black car with black optics might be a bit too much for me. Literally the only thing you'll see if the headlights haha jk.
If I were to go darker colours, daytona grey is the best and I'd stick with white with black optics
Old 04-01-2019, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Daytona is a hard paint, never had any issues with scratching or swirls even if the dealership washed the car, but then I haven't taken any of my cars to a automatic car wash now for years as scratches and swirls would be expected, what ever car you own. I know because I used to use them, until I got wise.

White is good as it tends not to show scratches or swirls, but shows every other spec of dirt.
Black needs a cleaning regime as it easily will pick up scratches and swirls, ceramic coat is one way to keep them down.

Quick Reply: Color