A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Complete power loss or safety feature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete power loss or safety feature?

I was on I-80 already 350 miles into my trip. I stopped for gas and turned back onto the highway. As I was accelerating to merge and then accelerated again to merge to left lane(keep in mind this is uphill) and the car just started to bog and stutter and it felt like it was fuel cutting or something. I could tell motor was on and running but I had no power at all from pedal. Every time I smashed the pedal in fear of being rear ended there was no power and movement car was essentially coasting at what ever speed I was at. It was raining I thought maybe it detected a hydroplane and cut power but it I didn’t see any traction or stability light. And no check engine light either.
i did see a light with a yellow car and triangle and exclamation point. It said call dealer immediately. But this was at 3 am in the morning. Luckily I was able to coast back to right shoulder with out getting rear ended. I don’t know exactly what happened. I shut it off and restarted and drove another 300 miles to my destination with no issue.
i take my car regularly on trips this is my 8th trip on the same route never had a problem like this and never lacked any power especially high altitude areas.
Any ideas other than some kind of safety feature, although a potentially deadly safety feature?
So far I have 23500 miles
2017 a4 b9
i also noticed in 2019 they detuned the motors
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Var
I was on I-80 already 350 miles into my trip. I stopped for gas and turned back onto the highway. As I was accelerating to merge and then accelerated again to merge to left lane(keep in mind this is uphill) and the car just started to bog and stutter and it felt like it was fuel cutting or something. I could tell motor was on and running but I had no power at all from pedal. Every time I smashed the pedal in fear of being rear ended there was no power and movement car was essentially coasting at what ever speed I was at. It was raining I thought maybe it detected a hydroplane and cut power but it I didn’t see any traction or stability light. And no check engine light either.
i did see a light with a yellow car and triangle and exclamation point. It said call dealer immediately. But this was at 3 am in the morning. Luckily I was able to coast back to right shoulder with out getting rear ended. I don’t know exactly what happened. I shut it off and restarted and drove another 300 miles to my destination with no issue.
i take my car regularly on trips this is my 8th trip on the same route never had a problem like this and never lacked any power especially high altitude areas.
Any ideas other than some kind of safety feature, although a potentially deadly safety feature?
So far I have 23500 miles
2017 a4 b9
i also noticed in 2019 they detuned the motors
I can't help with the issue, but they didn't detune anything. They are using a different power rating method, the new math results in a lower final number.

Last edited by Timfoilhat; 05-11-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

"a light with a yellow car and triangle and exclamation poin"

This light? Pre-sense collision warning. Sensor warning thinking you were about to have a collision? If the brakes weren't applied, maybe it thought you were about to be hit from behind. Did the seat belts tighten?

I also could have gone into limp mode, but that's accompanied by warning lights when a significant problem (overheating, etc.) are detected.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It’s similar to that but it popped up on screen with an oversized yellow car. I see that emblem when I disable traction control completely, and it said immediately call dealer. I made an appointment monday
hopefully there is some diagnostic they can run. I appreciate the response
could be pre sense kicking in.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad gas is a possibility?

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ct-or-fiction/
Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

they questioned me and they tried to pin it on bad gas as-well but i always fill the highest grade available at any station. And they did further testing and they found a misfire and codes. It was odd because there was no check engine light. Day 2 car is at audi and no update or response.
one thing is for sure it isnt service like mercedes
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth considering that even though you think you're pumping premium gas into the car, it's not guaranteed that the gas station is giving you premium gas. I've definitely heard of mistakes happening, tanker trucks pumping into the wrong tanks, etc. or possibly outright fraud related to station owners watering down premium gas with cheaper fuels. There are a range of possibilities.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by AidanHadley
It's worth considering that even though you think you're pumping premium gas into the car, it's not guaranteed that the gas station is giving you premium gas. I've definitely heard of mistakes happening, tanker trucks pumping into the wrong tanks, etc. or possibly outright fraud related to station owners watering down premium gas with cheaper fuels. There are a range of possibilities.
That has happened here in NJ several times. However, it gets on the news pretty quick when you have 10 to 20 cars having issues within miles of filling up needing a tow truck. Not an impossible scenario though.