A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Complete power loss update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PghRich
The dreaded "sporadic, non-reproducable, no error codes" problem. I can understand why they just throw parts/potential solutions at it, but it doesn't give you a good feeling driving your car afterwards.

I would probably ask them to at least replace the plug/coil, and wiring, from cylinder 2 rather than just moving them around.
But moving them around is... perfectly good troubleshooting practice to isolate the problem rather than throwing parts at potentially the wrong thing.

The unfortunate problem here is that they weren't able to reproduce the problem after moving things around.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

This whole “ couldn’t replicate the issue” BS is annoying. Sorry you have to deal with it. Considering you’ll probably spend a lot of time and effort going to the dealer, i’d purchase a set if new plugs AND coils and just swap them all out and treat it as maintenance... from what I’ve read, the coils in these VW cars are just crap.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing is my 2017 a4 w 24k miles is giving me engine issues
they said it had a check engine light and cleared it which I never saw because there was none when I was driving...

and my 2015 s5 has 45k miles no issues at all and I abuse it all day.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Best investment is an OBD11 so you can run a scan anytime and see what is wrong for yourself. This way, if they try to tell you there were no issues run on a scan, you have something to back up a claim with.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
But moving them around is... perfectly good troubleshooting practice to isolate the problem rather than throwing parts at potentially the wrong thing..
Certainly.

Originally Posted by VM
The unfortunate problem here is that they weren't able to reproduce the problem after moving things around.
I thought it would be clear that I was suggesting the replacement after the diagnosis was inconclusive. Or are you suggesting that moving things around and not reproducing the fault should be considered a successful fix?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PghRich
Certainly.
I thought it would be clear that I was suggesting the replacement after the diagnosis was inconclusive. Or are you suggesting that moving things around and not reproducing the fault should be considered a successful fix?
Seem's like kicking the can down the road unless they didn't have the parts available.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
But moving them around is... perfectly good troubleshooting practice to isolate the problem rather than throwing parts at potentially the wrong thing.
This is what I would do when my coilpacks died. Since I didnt know which one it was, I would replace each one with a brand new one at a time so I could find the dead one. In the case of what the dealer is doing, if they are moving a dead one to another position, they should still get the same result the OP was mentioning.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's the cost of a coil pack?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnowhere
What's the cost of a coil pack?
I’ve done a ton of research on that and you can find genuine ones for about 90 for all 4.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
I’ve done a ton of research on that and you can find genuine ones for about 90 for all 4.
Thanks!

Any challenges when replacing them?

Quick Reply: Complete power loss update