A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To Connect or not to Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default To Connect or not to Connect

My Audi Connect subscription expired yesterday, and I'm debating whether or not to renew it. I've renewed it four times already (took delivery of my car in May 2016). It just seems so darn expensive. But I do like the Google Earth overlay, and the features available with the MMI connect app.

But if I renew now, it will be up for renewal again several weeks before I am scheduled to turn my lease in. I like using Waze (from my phone) a lot, but for some reason I like using the built-in Navigation for longer trips. Maybe it's because of the Google Earth interface.

Anyway, I guess I could wait several weeks before renewing Connect, that way it will expire on the day I trade my car in, or renew now, and go without Connect on the last couple of weeks of my lease. Or, I could just buy my car at the end of the lease, which would seem to solve everything.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Deciding to renewing AudiConnect on my B9 is by far my biggest Audi-related purchase regret. It is astoundingly overpriced, provides close to zero value, the traffic data is near useless, and I do not encourage anyone to fork over even a tenth of the $500-for-18-months price I, a certified sucker, paid.

Never again. Can not think of a bigger bamboozle than that stupid purchase and its stupid price. You can get sat view on the Google Maps CarPlay app for free now, btw.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Deciding to renewing AudiConnect on my B9 is by far my biggest Audi-related purchase regret. It is astoundingly overpriced, provides close to zero value, the traffic data is near useless, and I do not encourage anyone to fork over even a tenth of the $500-for-18-months price I, a certified sucker, paid.
Never again. Can not think of a bigger bamboozle than that stupid purchase and its stupid price. You can get sat view on the Google Maps CarPlay app for free now, btw.
I agree, it is way overpriced. And I wasn't aware you can get satellite view on the screen when using Google Maps. I will have to give it a try.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I renewed. I'm a fan of just having all the tech in the car working. I don't use it much, but knowing I can rings my bell.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trial ends for me in another couple months and I'm not seeing the value added. I turned off Google Maps because its a little slower/laggier when using it and to be honest, I love the "minimalistic" look of the normal map in comparison. Plus, now that Google Maps are available on Apple CarPlay, I can always use that should I want a satellite view again.

A drawback is that I do love the ability to see my vehicle's status from anywhere in the world and lock the doors if I need to, but that's simply not worth $199 for 6 months/$499 for 18. If they offered cheaper monthly plans with tiers of service (i.e. a plan for $5.99 a month that lets you just access vehicle status/remote controls), that would be a no brainer. But to get those features and a bunch of other useless (to me) functions for $199 is just a total ripoff in my eyes.

I never thought I would say this, but Audi could do to take a cue from GM here - they offer OnStar basic for free for 5 years in all of their vehicles which lets you remotely control your vehicle (including start it and sounding the horn/flash the lights in addition to locking your doors) as well as remotely sending destinations to the navigation system to avoid having to type/search for the destination through the interface.

It sucks that I'm going to lose access to all that when my trial expires, but I simply cannot justify the $200 up front cost. Really hope to see Audi change this.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps Audi are actually taking a cue from BMW?
We get ours free for three years, we can then always purchase our own sim data card to use...
Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

With Google Maps' Satellite Overlay on CarPlay, the need to keep Audi Connect went away for me. I never used any of the other AudiConnect features and entering search results as destination got so much better with CarPlay and iOS 12. Even though my AudiConnect subscription still runs until April 2019 I started using CarPlay with Google Maps when driving around. I would prefer Apple Maps for its integration with the other Apple services but it lacks the satellite view that I got addicted to. CarPlay does not support the HUD or VC either which was a nice feature. And I will have to check how well offline navigation works if there is no cell signal.

I will never understand how Audi could decide to end offering Google Earth overlay for pre-2019 sometimes next year instead of just providing new software to its AudiConnect subscribers to keep this feature working. IMHO Audi should offer a bundled AudiCare + AudiConnect package for a reasonable price and include software updates for the duration as well as all the services. The lack of software updates is the only reason for me to not consider Audi for my next car at this time.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
With Google Maps' Satellite Overlay on CarPlay, the need to keep Audi Connect went away for me.
Well, I tried the Google Maps' satellite overlay today, and the street names and other details are way too small for me to see clearly. Plus, it's a pain to have to plug and unplug my phone every time I get in or out of my car. I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and renew my Audi Connect subscription.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and renew my Audi Connect subscription.
OMG I can feel waves of empathetic regret washing over me on your behalf. Don’t do it DEAR GOD DON’T ENCOURAGE THESE CORPORATE IDIOTS WHO DEVELOP THIS GARBAGE OVERPRICED NONSENSE THAT ADDS ZERO VALUE TO YOUR LIFE GOD PLEASE NO NO NO NO GOD NO

ok I’m done
Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Back when I still have the free service, the only time I frequently used the Audi connection was to monitor the location of my car when it was in a body shop for few weeks for a collision repair. That’s it. Never used further. And with the google map on CarPlay, not useful to me any more. I need to plug in for Spotify anyway.

Last edited by minmet; 10-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: To Connect or not to Connect