A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To Connect or not to Connect

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Other than traffic, MMI nav works w/o connect. One thing that irritates me with MMI nav is the need to change the state when you enter a different state.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Other than traffic, MMI nav works w/o connect. One thing that irritates me with MMI nav is the need to change the state when you enter a different state.
Oh, sure, the MMI nav "works" without Connect. But for me, living in a densely populated area, using a nav without traffic (even for relatively short trips) is kind of like flying blind...
Old 12-16-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
Oh, sure, the MMI nav "works" without Connect. But for me, living in a densely populated area, using a nav without traffic (even for relatively short trips) is kind of like flying blind...
Don't know how it is in Maryland, but in LA traffic information from MMI was useless. I extended the prime for 6 months, but ended up using Waze for my daily commute anyway.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I find satellite view on the VC to be too cluttered. I did not renew Audi connect.

My favorite setup for directions at an unfamiliar place is: 1) enter destination in MMI and map view in VC
2) connect iPhone, enter CarPlay and map view in MMI. (Do NOT enter destination in CarPlay!)

Turn information appears in VC and headup display, verbal instructions provided by car.
Traffic information from CarPlay on MMI.

For me, it's the best of both worlds.
I like it - thanks!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I missed the traffic in the MMI Nav. Yes, I can get Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps. But I liked a number of the features of the MMI Nav and its better integration into the HUD and VC. So I was on the fence and held off for a few months. Then, our neighbor had her car stolen at gunpoint. Her daughter was able to locate the car using her smartphone app and the police were able to catch the carjackers and recover the car undamaged within a matter of hours. That iced it for me, so I went for the Connect. I did not get the ATT Connect PLUS--the car is only 3G and we have plenty of data available to our 4G smartphones.
I'm on T-Mobile which is sketchy in places I drive when you are not on the interstate. ATT Connect plus and maybe the Audi radio have maintained connection places no one elses phone is working. I suspect there are mobile hot spots that can do the same at lower cost.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I had AC for the first two years of my car and let it lapse when it came due in May because I couldn't convince myself to spend the money. Well, just last week I decided I wanted it back and renewed. I missed having GE and traffic on the dash in front of me. I'm pretty sure I didn't use AC to its full potential before and am going to make a point to change that this time.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

For those mentioning wanting to keep Audi Connect PRIME for the remote lock/unlock and the stolen vehicle locator, hope you guys do realize those features are part of Audi Connect CARE, which is free and part of the vehicle purchase — at least until Dec 2021. It is not part of Audi Connect PRIME nor Connect PLUS.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - using an OBD11 device, you can switch traffic sources to SiriusXM, which would cost about $50-60/year instead. Yes, it's a hack, and an odd one at that (SiriusXM sometimes gives you grief for subscribing to a service it thinks the car doesn't support) but it's a hack that saves you $$.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
FYI - using an OBD11 device, you can switch traffic sources to SiriusXM, which would cost about $50-60/year instead. Yes, it's a hack, and an odd one at that (SiriusXM sometimes gives you grief for subscribing to a service it thinks the car doesn't support) but it's a hack that saves you $$.
Would you have instructions for that using OBD11? And how do you mean it gives you grief?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Would you have instructions for that using OBD11? And how do you mean it gives you grief?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...pires-2941112/

Grief: Because the radio in the car is not configured by default to accept S-XM traffic, S-XM systems see it as a radio that simply won't work with the service. So, of course, they do not want to sell a customer a service that won't work with their device. So, the average rep will not sell you the traffic package, even if you insist. You need to tell them to check with their manager to allow an exception and also to acknowledge that they are NOT responsible for any problems/lack of satisfaction that could ensue based on buying the traffic service for a radio that does not (in their systems, at least) support this feature.

Quick Reply: To Connect or not to Connect