A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Crackling sound when driving on uneven surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crackling sound when driving on uneven surfaces

Hi all! My Audi A4 B9 Avant was delivered in September 2016. Since last year, the car is making a crackling sound which is now getting worse.
It is best heard from the driver's seat even though it seems to be coming from the passenger seat direction. The sound can be best described as crackling (eg. rubbing bubble plastic between your fingers) and can be almost reproduced by pushing the headliner in some areas on the backseat of the car (my car does not have a panoramic roof). The sound is best heard when driving uneven surfaces or taking sharp turns and seems to be related to temperature as it's worse when it's getting warmer and almost cannot be heard on chilly mornings. In any case it's driving me insane. Anyone ever had a similar problem? Could this problem be originating from the headliner that is loosening or something?
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you taken it into the dealer for an evaluation?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply!
Currently on holiday but definitely planning to do so when I get back.
However, I already wanted to see if someone ever experienced similar problems so I can mention it to the dealer.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could help but my car has been solid and no creaks since I bought it last September.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know that when I first took delivery of my car there was this strange popping static-like noise coming from the speakers on both sides. I know then ended up replacing one of my A-pillar surround speakers, but I don't think that's what was causing the problem. It almost sounded like static interference on bumps and vibrations, because it would happen when the stereo was turned on or off, but definitely emanating from the front driver and passenger side seat upper mid-range speaker panels. There was also a padding buffer fix I needed to have for the center console wood insert trim, where it was vibrating right in-between the hazard light and the AC adjustments (you could stop the vibration with slight pressure on that panel). I've also noticed some rattling noises coming from the upper most door trim panel on my drivers door. The one that connects near the top hinge (looks like black plastic and houses the unlock/lock and seat memory buttons). Usually pressing it inwards stops the noises for a few car rides.

I haven't heard anything from the headliner yet though.