A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Danged Mass. Registry

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Danged Mass. Registry

My car's state inspection expired at the end of March, so I got my car inspected last Wednesday. Didn't want to get caught driving with an expired sticker.

Meanwhile, two weeks ago I bought out the lease on my car, and yesterday I finally got the title in the mail so I could register it. Today I went to the Registry of Motor Vehicles to get everything taken care of.

But when I finally got to the window, and paid for the registration and sales tax (even though I still had a full year left on my current registration; couldn't they give me a discount?), the agent handed me my new plates and said I had seven days to get the car inspected. I told her I just had the car inspected six days ago!

So she went to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor comes over and says that I had the car inspected when I was paying a lease, but now that I am the owner of the car, I have to have it inspected again. I explained to her that I purchased my car two weeks ago, so when I had it inspected, I already was the owner!

She said it didn't matter; until today, VW Credit Leasing was still listed on the title as the owner of the car, therefore I have to have it inspected again. I told her, "But it's the same car! What do you think they're going to find in an inspection that they didn't find last week?" But she wouldn't budge.

I guess the fault is on me because I didn't understand how this worked. Or, I can just chalk it up to bad timing. If I'm ever in a similar situation again, I'll wait to have my car inspected until after registering it and hope the cops don't spot me driving with an expired sticker.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Move to Florida. No inspections. Some cars down there look like they belong in a carnival. Honestly don’t know how some of those cars are allowed on the road.

Sorry for your issues.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

When switching ownership, they always require an fresh inspection sticker.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Basically, you were somebody else two weeks ago. Now you are you. Your car didn’t change, you changed. LOL
Old 04-03-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NJ fixed this "problem" years ago by simply allowing the new owner to use the current inspection sticker. It used to be like MA, mostly because the inspection sticker was being used as proof of registration (NJ requires the car to be registered in order to inspect). Once NJ went to 2 year inspection stickers, it all got thrown out the window.