A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Dashcam Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
if you are in the fuse box under the foot rest on the drivers side, any of them in group C. i would use number 6.
Which fuse did you end up using? And why are you trying to use a always-on fuse? I thought the point of the fuse box was to use one that is only on when the car is on.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by notmyrealaccount1034
Which fuse did you end up using? And why are you trying to use a always-on fuse? I thought the point of the fuse box was to use one that is only on when the car is on.
The point of the fuse box is to get power and that is an easy place to get it as you can plug into it. Always on vs not depends if you want the cameras to record when parked. Right now I am at the YMCA and my car is recording. If someone backs into it, it will capture it.

What is rhe upside to not recording all the time? Prolonging the life of the memory card?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Just don't do a mirror tap. There is not much upside to it since it is easy enough to shove a wire into the headliner gap, and some downsides. I don't think there is always-on power in there, so the dashcam won't record when parked. And even if there was always-on power in there, there is no room for a low-voltage cutoff.

I have front and back camera in place now - though wiring not final yet.
What type of add a fuse did you use? I tried to use my old one from my b7 S4 and I couldn't get it to plug into any of the slots because the wire comes out of the side of the fuse. hoping to get my radar installed asap
Old 10-27-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
The point of the fuse box is to get power and that is an easy place to get it as you can plug into it. Always on vs not depends if you want the cameras to record when parked. Right now I am at the YMCA and my car is recording. If someone backs into it, it will capture it.

What is rhe upside to not recording all the time? Prolonging the life of the memory card?
no, prolonging the life of the battery. While they do not draw much power at all (most people fuse them at 1 amp) they are well known to draw enough power to draw down a battery so it won’t start an engine. I doubt that’s an issue at the Y, but if it runs for several hours you certainly run that risk. A lot of instances of it, if you google it. Most expensive cameras even caution you about wiring it hot.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nicotino15
What type of add a fuse did you use? I tried to use my old one from my b7 S4 and I couldn't get it to plug into any of the slots because the wire comes out of the side of the fuse. hoping to get my radar installed asap
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-27-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gguy
no, prolonging the life of the battery. While they do not draw much power at all (most people fuse them at 1 amp) they are well known to draw enough power to draw down a battery so it won’t start an engine. I doubt that’s an issue at the Y, but if it runs for several hours you certainly run that risk. A lot of instances of it, if you google it. Most expensive cameras even caution you about wiring it hot.
You have to use a low-voltage cutoff. There are many of them that range in price from $3 to over $40. Just don't use the 11.6v ones that come with the hardwire kits, as that voltage is too low for automobile use.

I am using these set to 12.2 volts. With two cameras, they will shut off after 1-2 days.

They are $3.31 each. I bought eight of them so I can do several cars. Amazon also has them but 3x the cost if you don't want to wait.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Voltage-Cut-off-Protection-Board-Automatic-Recovery-Module-for-12V-Battery/192254416042?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-27-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, I have an add a fuse that looks identical, and I can't get it to fit into the fuse box and plug into any of the fuse slots. How are you able to get it to fit? Do you have a pic?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It does fit. I would just try again. I have mine in the footwell on the A4 and on the side of the dash on the Q7. I think either can work. There is one in the back of the A4 also for a back camera.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I just found this thread and it is very helpful for me to install the dashcam hardware to the rear view mirror. I have some questions for you guys using the Viofo A119.

My car is the 2018 Q5, I already opened the middle plastic cover behind the rear view mirror. I see there is a small connector behind there are four wires. The yellow and brown wires are located at the upper left corner, and the purple and orange wires are located at the lower right corner. I believe the yellow wire is "power" and the brown wire is "ground".

Since I will purchase the 12v to 5v converter with the mini USB, I need to buy the clamping leads which will solder to the black and red wires from the converter

Regarding the clamping lead, is 0.075" (2mm) thick the correct size? Since I am doing my own wiring, is the mini fuse required to be added in between the "red" wire from the converter?

Please advise, thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have the converter, I do not believe there must be an additional fuse. If you look on page 2, the most comprehensive guide there shows the converter directly tapped into the power + ground.

I myself am looking just for those mirror tap points. Not finding those anywhere, but I'm probably using the wrong search term.

Quick Reply: Dashcam Install