A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

The deal with MMI Updates

Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The deal with MMI Updates

I am a tech guy(software engineer), who has owns many technical devices, and I am a new Audi A4 Prestige owner. I notice some bugs right off the bat in the MMI software thinking no worries, it will be fixed in a later revision of the software, and will just update the software like any of device (such as a phone, TV, game console etc). After reading through this forum, it looks like there is not a way to update the software in your own car! With a complicated software based system such as MMI, that even can connect to the network, get news stories delivered, push navigation and voice integration, there is going to be bugs/issues that will progressively get fixed, especially with a new model car/device. How does one get their mmi software updated in this car?

One issue is the google earth does not ever auto start unless I manually go to Audi Connect and select Google Earth. I also get same message about accepting Audi Connect terms every time I click on it (may be related). I am running version 1316, is there a later version?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by dmbtech
How does one get their mmi software updated in this car?
By going to the dealer. Maps, however, get updated over the air.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

In regards to the satellite map not displaying immediately, are you parked in the garage where satellite reception is not great? This may have an affect in the Audi connect services connecting to the vehicle.

Also, have you setup your Audi connect account with your Vehicle Key Code? After I determined that the satellite reception was not the issue, I determined it was Audi connect not being setup with my vehicle key code.

A shortcut to the Google Maps overlay can be done if you go select "Satellite map" in the "Map Display" submenu; that way you don't have to jump through hoops in Audi connect.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

That’s odd about the Google Earth overlay, when I was using it it would come up every time by itself. May be worth a trip to your dealer.

As far as MMI software updates, those can only be done through the dealer. The maps updates can be done over the air. I just updated some of my maps to the latest 2019 version yesterday and was pretty pleased with the process. Nice that an OTA option is even offered honestly, especially considering that I don’t have an active Audi Connect plan.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

What still works after audi connect expires? Interesting to know that map updates still work, does remote lock/unlock work, or location from myaudi app? I could care less about news stories, flight times etc (thats what my phone is for). How about sending a location?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

What still works after audi connect expires? Interesting to know that map updates still work, does remote lock/unlock work, or location from myaudi app? I could care less about news stories, flight times etc (thats what my phone is for). How about sending a location?
Lock and unlock does still work and Audi sent out an email a couple weeks ago (there was a thread about it here as well) stating that by early March, basic plans (i.e. free plans) will also include vehicle status and vehicle location. I believe you still need to have a paid plan to send a location.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats kind of nice... The incentive of renewing Audi connect once it expires is getting weaker and weaker .
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats kind of nice... The incentive of renewing Audi connect once it expires is getting weaker and weaker .
My thoughts exactly. Could be a very nice service if they didn’t try charging $30 a month up front for 6 months. Just not seeing the value at ALL.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
In regards to the satellite map not displaying immediately, are you parked in the garage where satellite reception is not great? This may have an affect in the Audi connect services connecting to the vehicle.

Also, have you setup your Audi connect account with your Vehicle Key Code? After I determined that the satellite reception was not the issue, I determined it was Audi connect not being setup with my vehicle key code.

A shortcut to the Google Maps overlay can be done if you go select "Satellite map" in the "Map Display" submenu; that way you don't have to jump through hoops in Audi connect.
The Google Earth maps do not download from satellites. They download via cellular connection. But your point is still valid, if you are parked in a parking garage where cellular reception is poor you will not get the maps until you get outside. Note that the MMI does cache the satellite images and I believe they are saved through restarts so if your car downloaded them before it was shut off I think you should get them immediately. I did notice this happening on an A6 loaner I had a few years ago.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

The Google Earth maps do not download from satellites. They download via cellular connection. But your point is still valid, if you are parked in a parking garage where cellular reception is poor you will not get the maps until you get outside. Note that the MMI does cache the satellite images and I believe they are saved through restarts so if your car downloaded them before it was shut off I think you should get them immediately. I did notice this happening on an A6 loaner I had a few years ago.
Unfortunately, this happens in the wide open on my driveway perfect cell coverage for ATT and others. The satellite maps just never load unless I manually go through audi connect menu or I go to sub menu and select satellite.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The deal with MMI Updates