A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Dealer and Audi of America says no Manual in North America

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer and Audi of America says no Manual in North America

That is a load of rubbish, I like Audis and was looking forward for it. I ordered an automatic instead. I was wondering if the Manuals in Europe have stop and go traffic and automatic breaking because the clutch would automatically stall the car each time, especially the automatic breaking system.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

This is incorrect. Audi has confirmed that a manual A4 is coming later in the year.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

that is what some automotive companies like car and driver stated, but my dealer and Audi of America says no manual for the S4 or the A4, hope that they are wrong.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

According to this article about the 2017 A4 from Autoblog:
All A4 models will launch, initially, with the seven-speed S-tronic dual-clutch transmission, but a manual is still under consideration for the US. Better yet, the manual may be available with Quattro all-wheel drive (which is standard on the S-tronic launch models). Sadly, we don't have any word, or even hints, whether that manual may become available in the American-spec Allroad.
There is still hope for all you manual tranny lovers!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

ACC with Stop'n'Go and some of the Pre-Sense features only work above 30 km/h with a manual transmission
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Audi manufacturing:
  • Manual transmission and quattro only in A3 series and below
  • Manual transmission in A4 series and above only available with front wheel drive
  • Manual transmission only available with 4 cylinder engines
These are the "rules" in terms of current manufacturing.

The most performance oriented Audis currently made with a manual transmission are the S3 and the TTS. Perhaps the new TTRS will be available with a manual, as rumours suggest. Not sure Porsche will be happy with that, particularly as the Cayman is now moving to a turbo 4 cylinder, against a 400hp 5 cylinder TTRS. And the new VAG boss is the Porsche guy. Then again, maybe he'll ban Audi from using S tronic to keep the performance down

The question as to what happens re. the technology packets with a manual transmission is a good one. I just tried, and there is no restriction on any technology option when ordering a manual. Further, the A4 catalogue specifies that the 2.0TFSI Ultra (front wheel drive version) can be ordered with any and every option. So everything is available, but just won't (can't) work particularly well.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

As it stands now manual transmissions are only made for FWD and Haldex drivetrains moving forward. Audi has phased out the Torsen center differential and has not yet adapted their manual transmission for the new self-locking center differentials and chances are they won't. So if you want a manual transmission moving forward most likely you'll have to opt for an FWD model or one of the Haldex models, provided they are even brought to North America.

I would be rather surprised if the TTRS will be available with a manual transmission. The Quattro bosses pretty much have stated that there won't be anymore RS models with a manual transmission, primarily because the last TTRS 6MT turned into a poor seller after they introduced the S-tronic and the same thing happened to the R8 6MT, hence the new R8 is only available with S-tronic.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for your information, I just ordered the automatic version of the A4 | Prestige instead. Not happy but some of these Driver Assistance package are just dangerous with a manual transmission. Looking forward for the High Beam assistant and Android Auto, no more blue tooth !!!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
ACC with Stop'n'Go and some of the Pre-Sense features only work above 30 km/h with a manual transmission
Stop'n'Go in manual transmission? One would have to engage the clutch each time the system stops, if that does not happen, the car will stall. I personally do not think that function is a feature of a manual transmission.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by james.bond
Thank you for your information, I just ordered the automatic version of the A4 | Prestige instead. Not happy but some of these Driver Assistance package are just dangerous with a manual transmission. Looking forward for the High Beam assistant and Android Auto, no more blue tooth !!!
Good decision, I am sure you will be happier with the car working the way it was designed, rather than the compromises a manual gearbox would have bought. But I thought with the engines currently available in the US that you get the S tronic sequential gearbox rather than the ZF auto? There is quite a difference between them.

Quick Reply: Dealer and Audi of America says no Manual in North America