A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

At the dealership - random observations.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Hey, you didn't get your free cars wash?

You know, those incursions into the dealer will cost you another new car soon ;-p ...
I give him another 3 months, max.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
You really can't let it go can you, Bob. It's really not that bad. Learn to love it.
So, ignoring the retractable/non-retractable screen aspect for a moment:

Aesthetically, I have to agree with Bob. This is Audi, and for me, Audi interiors are (understated) refined, integrated, smooth. IMHO, nobody comes close to them on this point. The MMI screen (while it doesnt bother me too much), in contrast to the rest of the 2017 A4 Audi design language, is absolutely 'tacked on'. OK, they made they the choice to be non-retractable. I think the static design could have been better integrated/flowed into the dash.

Fair point, Bob.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kane

Aesthetically, I have to agree with Bob. This is Audi, and for me, Audi interiors are (understated) refined, integrated, smooth. IMHO, nobody comes close to them on this point. The MMI screen (while it doesnt bother me too much), in contrast to the rest of the 2017 A4 Audi design language, is absolutely 'tacked on'. OK, they made they the choice to be non-retractable. I think the static design could have been better integrated/flowed into the dash.

Fair point, Bob.
MB does the same thing...

I think someone in an earlier thread said that retractable screens are effectively going to be banned as part of new rules making rear cameras mandatory. So that leaves three options:
1) lower the screen on the dash
2) raise the top of the dash, lowering visibility
3) the fixed pop-out screen like they've chosen

Also, one other silly thing I just thought of: aren't there different sizes of screens? Is it even theoretically possible that A4s in some markets don't get any screen there? The design they've chosen makes it very easy to accommodate different sizes of screens...
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

The door "issue" is because the A5 door windows are frameless and raise/lower a smidge when you open and close the door.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
This is how Bob m looks at the MMI screen:

Yes, especially when I see how nice the other cars look with a norma, properly placed screen.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by blorzoga
You really can't let it go can you, Bob. It's really not that bad. Learn to love it.
Well, I have learned to live with it - and it was not enough to stop me from buying 2 Audi's with it - 2017 A4 and 2017 Allroad. It's an aesthetic thing BUT equally annoying is the fact that it's those damn bean counters having their way once again. Other manufacturers have done a way more pleasing design with a non retractable screen.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gooberman
I have to admit that waiting for it to open and retract would probably bother me.
It took all of 2 seconds to pop up and 2 seconds to retract in the A8 I sat in.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by John Kane

Fair point, Bob.
Well stated, John.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bugout
The door "issue" is because the A5 door windows are frameless and raise/lower a smidge when you open and close the door.
Ok, but what explains the huge difference in door " solidity sounds" between the 3.0 A5 and the 2.0 A5? I was not imagining it - as I tried it a half dozen times.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Oh, I forgot to mention that the higher end A6/A7/A8's had retractable MMI screens. When I went outside to pick up my Allroad, there was one right next to mine - though a few years older - and it had a very nice built in MMI/NAV screen. And I'll say it again and keep beating that dead horse - the current tacked on screen looks terrible compared to the all the others.
I've read that the next gen A6 and A7 will come with non-retractable screens just like the A4 because very few people actually retract them when the leave the car.

Quick Reply: At the dealership - random observations.